The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 10, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #73,006 of 90,411
The way to go wrong is with quality control of FF products and surprisingly bad customer service. Their products sound good and they have some really good people there. Buyer beware.
Hearing on these forums about the quality control issues. Fortunately, my MSE didn't have QC issues. hopefully they sort them out soon.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #73,007 of 90,411
So I was perusing graph databases like I am want to do on a Sunday and this jumped out at me. I knew I had seen those crazy hills before. Any thoughts on this?

graph-14.pnggraph-15.png
Thanks for sharing this, my thought is no wonder I didn’t care much for e12 with all those upper mid/lower treble peaks.

Agree that it doesn’t sound much like Trifecta, but then I’m not much of a fan of that either. 🤷‍♂️

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #73,008 of 90,411
These IEMs don't sound anything alike. The E12 is very noticably treble focused and it is very good in that region to my ear. Trifecta is very bassy. It just goes to show you that graphs don't tell the whole story.
The graphs do somewhat reflect those differences, to be fair. The E12 has a stronger 5kHz peak and a ton more presence past 10kHz, which should give it more bite and air. The Trifecta rolls off hard there, which explains why its bass is much looser and why its treble isn’t as prominent.

The Trifecta also has 3 of those DDs, so that could make a world of difference too. My guess is their DDs come from the same (or similar) OEM with slightly-tweaked specs on the OEM side, or electronic/acoustic tuning on FiR/CA’s side. I could very well be wrong.

1. Hidition. I need to fly to Korea to listen to it.

2. Dio.
You can demo Hidition IEMs at Zepp in Singapore. I believe they may have a Japanese dealer too.

Oh, I don't know this, thanks for sharing.
Yeah, there’s been reports of not only poor QC, but also months of unfulfilled orders and/or unanswered e-mails. I was really biting my tongue when a couple folks here wanted to vote them brand of the year. :D

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #73,009 of 90,411
Yeah, there’s been reports of not only poor QC, but also months of unfulfilled orders and/or unanswered e-mails. I was really biting my tongue when a couple folks here wanted to vote them brand of the year. :D
So I guess now that you're married you're learning how to be more outspoken? 🤭

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #73,011 of 90,411
So I guess now that you're married you're learning how to be more outspoken? 🤭
Nah, when you get married, it's usually the reverse! :smile:

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #73,012 of 90,411
Talking about Tralucent Audio. It's not Gen.3 but it does sound good. :L3000::L3000:
DSC00412.JPG

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #73,013 of 90,411
The graphs do somewhat reflect those differences, to be fair. The E12 has a stronger 5kHz peak and a ton more presence past 10kHz, which should give it more bite and air. The Trifecta rolls off hard there, which explains why its bass is much looser and why its treble isn’t as prominent.
If you can hear those differences with your eyes and tell me how they are going to sound before you hear it, I would be extremely impressed. You would be like the people in Matrix who can look at those green dropping characters and see the beautiful woman in the red dress. I would say that 99.9999999% of people can't do that. In fact, if you can, I'd say that you are the only person on earth who can. And, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if you could.

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #73,014 of 90,411
You can demo Hidition IEMs at Zepp in Singapore. I believe they may have a Japanese dealer too.
This is good to know. I will look for it the next time I visit Zepp. I love that place. I didn't get a chance to visit the back room last time. This is good because if I go to Korea with my wife, I might have to go with her to a BTS concert.

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #73,015 of 90,411
Dec 10, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #73,016 of 90,411
Has anyone had any experience with cable rolling to where a high-end cable actually exposes more background noise than something cheaper/less premium?

When I use my HiBy R6 Gen 3 (specifically in Class AB, it is not a problem with Class A) with Fei Wan/Blue Hour 4 wire the amount of background noise/interference I hear is at unlistenable levels, I've never heard anything like this before. However it is dead silent on the WM1Z-M2 and just about every other source I have tried. I even had Andrew @ MT send me another R6 to test and while my current one is definitely faulty, the one he sent me is also quite noisy as well.

My only theory is that the Blue Hour is sort of exposing everything in the chain and I am hearing the not-so-great shielding of the R6 Gen 3. It just has me super puzzled because when I swap Blue Hour to ET Raphael or Aroma Sparkle, there is virtually no noise whatsoever.

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #73,017 of 90,411
Has anyone had any experience with cable rolling to where a high-end cable actually exposes more background noise than something cheaper/less premium?

When I use my HiBy R6 Gen 3 (specifically in Class AB, it is not a problem with Class A) with Fei Wan/Blue Hour 4 wire the amount of background noise/interference I hear is at unlistenable levels, I've never heard anything like this before. However it is dead silent on the WM1Z-M2 and just about every other source I have tried. I even had Andrew @ MT send me another R6 to test and while my current one is definitely faulty, the one he sent me is also quite noisy as well.

My only theory is that the Blue Hour is sort of exposing everything in the chain and I am hearing the not-so-great shielding of the R6 Gen 3. It just has me super puzzled because when I swap Blue Hour to ET Raphael or Aroma Sparkle, there is virtually no noise whatsoever.
Very interesting I can totally see this being a variable in cable rolling

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #73,019 of 90,411

Sounds to me like the Blue Hour cable has a problem. Why would a cable expose noise while others don't? Either noise is present and you hear it through delicate IEMs like Andromedas or not. No?

I'm not stepping into cable sound debate but this seems to be unlikely to me, especially when the noise is massive with one cable and inaudible with others.

Another explanation would be the other cables have really high impedance, lowering the existing noise from the DAP.

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #73,020 of 90,411

Maybe Hiby is copying the N30? :) Jokes aside, could it be something similar, whatever caused the N30 hiss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back