The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 10, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #72,976 of 90,412
I could think of 3-4 companies that could justifiably lay claim to that...depending on who you ask and what the criteria is.

I left them out of the "Flagship" question...that was an unfortunate oversight. I apologize in advance for any other slights or oversights...I did my best to provide a fair and representative cross section wherever I could.
You did a great job!

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #72,978 of 90,412
Weekend survey question 1: What is a brand or IEM or piece of gear that has continued to elude you through the years?
A&K DAPs – not elusive, just commitment issues at the last moment despite glimmers of potential.

Survey question 2: What item is #1 on your radar as we close out 2023?
Elysian Anni23

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #72,979 of 90,412
First impressions after an evening listening to DC-Elite.... sounds 'fast' (which may not be everybody's thing), excellent detail retrieval, dynamic/punchy. Bass is tight and controlled, mids sound balanced & highs have a nice sparkle. Sounds way better than its size would imply. I haven't compared side by side to Ru7 yet, but from memory, RU7, isnt as clean/good in the bass, details, or dynamics. But RU7 has a nice flow with music. Compared to SR35, DC-Elite bass is tighter, and FR sounds more balanced. Overall, capable, fun & engaging.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 19.20.10.jpeg
Excited for mine, should be here this week.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #72,980 of 90,412
Kill him last!
If there's killing to be done I would want to be the first one to go instead of the last one.

A reminder to everyone to take our year end poll. Still lots of time left but I'm hoping everyone participates. We're sitting at nearly 50 responses so far and I'm hoping to break the previous record of 153. More submissions = better data. We can do this :D
Being back "home" I'm considering starting my own 1 question poll that would be limited to Europeans only plus perhaps the odd African. Of course the question would be who'd be interested in frequent IEM, DAP, and cable tours.

Hi! :)

#2 :
‘The IEM that’s itching my wallet the most right now is the Rosenkranz Silver HB Ruthenium plated. You guys may remember me posting about the Rosenkranz Silver KA Gold, which is probably the most expensive single DD on the market at a whooping $8500 monitors only. The Silver HB is the model just below at $6500.
I managed to demo those 2 this weekend!! :ksc75smile:
‘I’ll try to post some quick impressions when I find the time!

Cheers,

Julien
Keep me posted! I didn't ask about the brand 2 wks ago without a reason :)

drftr

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #72,981 of 90,412
So I was perusing graph databases like I am want to do on a Sunday and this jumped out at me. I knew I had seen those crazy hills before. Any thoughts on this?

graph-14.png
graph-15.png

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #72,982 of 90,412
So I was perusing graph databases like I am want to do on a Sunday and this jumped out at me. I knew I had seen those crazy hills before. Any thoughts on this?

graph-14.pnggraph-15.png
These IEMs don't sound anything alike. The E12 is very noticably treble focused and it is very good in that region to my ear. Trifecta is very bassy. It just goes to show you that graphs don't tell the whole story.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #72,983 of 90,412
For those who want to get Madoo, make sure you have a trusted local dealer. On a trip to Singapore, I bought Madoo typ 821, which I honestly thing sounded bloody good. Upon my return back home, one of the iem split in two(faulty screw).
Long story short, it's been thre months, after many emails( which I frankly shouldn't have send) a replacement unit is mailed back to me.
I don't know what went wrong, what took too long, why the dealer couldn't give me a straight answer. All I know is now I know the importance of reputable local dealers.
Bought mine from Zeppelin and had them ship it to me in the USA.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #72,984 of 90,412
First impressions after an evening listening to DC-Elite.... sounds 'fast' (which may not be everybody's thing), excellent detail retrieval, dynamic/punchy. Bass is tight and controlled, mids sound balanced & highs have a nice sparkle. Sounds way better than its size would imply. I haven't compared side by side to Ru7 yet, but from memory, RU7, isnt as clean/good in the bass, details, or dynamics. But RU7 has a nice flow with music. Compared to SR35, DC-Elite bass is tighter, and FR sounds more balanced. Overall, capable, fun & engaging.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 19.20.10.jpeg
Even better than SR35? That will be interesting, I have 3 dongle, including RU6, but almost never use them. The tipping point will be there, if it is better than SR35.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #72,985 of 90,412
Well put, thanks @Rockwell75. If this thread were to become a place of grievances and resentments cast about the cost of entry and perceived privileges of those in the hobby, I would log off and find joy and community elsewhere.
I think people can comment about how the market has evolved and keeping in mind that separate from a few large firms, I see most IEM companies almost as small watchmakers in Switzerland in which a big part of their expense is a very artisanal labor that try to recoup with a limited amount of IEM's. So people have to keep this in mind when commenting, just as everyone should expect high quality and superb customer service from these firms.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #72,986 of 90,412
These IEMs don't sound anything alike. The E12 is very noticably treble focused and it is very good in that region to my ear. Trifecta is very bassy. It just goes to show you that graphs don't tell the whole story.
Thanks for the insight, Jim. I found the visuals interesting. Had I not asked I would only be able to draw a limited conclusion. Praise be the 'cooler. 😜

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #72,987 of 90,412
As I did these last 4 years some few forwards and backwards with my 2 portable combos, I would still call nowadays as my personal portable sound quality reference which are based on NW-WM1A and IER-Z1R or on FIIO M17 and DCA Stealth , I am wondering, if someone in more or less the same mood as I am (still convinced WM1A & Z1R is, end of 2023, still a kind of very solid sound quality reference) would recommend me a more up to date with real step forward combo on various points.

Basically, I am wondering if on the market we could get some more features like :
1) to improve the WM1A on some real streaming capabilities (Qobuz without using the BT LDAC receiver mode)
2) at least keep the option to adapt the sound quality to our mood from time to time with some software like poweramp EQ (android 12+).
3) if possible, some more instant power to be compatible with difficult planars like DCA Stealth while keeping 16 hours or more battery playing time (for SD Qobuz off-line playlists or personal Hires files). My FIOO M17 is somewhere too bulky and heavy, and the WM1A not powerful enough for a planar.
4) go to some new tech IEMs with a real step forward from IER-Z1R for sound quality .. with maybe more catchable details in low frequencies, mids and highs, more mid low frequencies impacts, some improvement in stage depth (maybe comparable to DCA Stealth SQ , even if it is not perfect too)..
5) maybe some usefull or just fancy amp types options (SS, Tubes, Class A, ...) if it is really worth to try these, when, basically, I am not really looking for anything not with really "neutral" sound and a realistic tonality.

So in short, is there anyone here with solid Sony's experience and love, who have an experience to reach another level with some more recent tech portable combo ?
Recently I found out that what Z1R was missing, not that I did not know it before, but not truly understanding and appreciating the missing part until recreantly: a good midrange. I suggest you try something to complement Z1R, IEMs that excel in midrange but still with enough bass.

Another direction is FATfreq IEMs, such as MSE, or GM, which bring bass to another level (at least quantity wise).

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #72,988 of 90,412

graph-14.pnggraph-15.png

They both sound awesome, though I don’t think they sound that alike.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #72,990 of 90,412
Recently I found out that what Z1R was missing, not that I did not know it before, but not truly understanding and appreciating the missing part until recreantly: a good midrange. I suggest you try something to complement Z1R, IEMs that excel in midrange but still with enough bass.

Another direction is FATfreq IEMs, such as MSE, or GM, which bring bass to another level (at least quantity wise).
Correct. Z1R is weak in the mids. So, you need to do something to correct it if you like mids. For me, I do it with source. I did it originally with EQ, but I stopped doing EQ. Love the pairing of Z1R with 1ZM2 or DMP-Z1. Those are goaty combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back