The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #69,781 of 89,914
Imagine my surprise earlier this morning when Wilson of Jaben SG sent me a photo of the packing box for the P6Pro Ti? It was just shipped out from Hong Kong yesterday. Same day that @Steranko got his in Hong Kong. :)

IMG_0561.jpeg
IMG_0545.jpeg
IMG_0552.jpeg
IMG_0544.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #69,782 of 89,914
Nov 7, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #69,783 of 89,914
Hi team, just curious on what is the longest you have waited on a repair for an item?

I waited more than 5 months to receive a repaired DAP. When I wrote to the company the response was that they forgot to send it to me, basically.

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #69,784 of 89,914
🤤

What a beautiful photo! What cable is that?
Making me have FOMO for not following through on a p6p ti order!!
Thanks. I got a custom cable maker to make it for me. It's a 12 core Gold and silver mix. I spent 3 hours sitting listening and tuning to what I like from the cable. He is in Shenzhen and doing for about 15 years. I found it better than the EA Hades 1. I went through him because it's a lot, lot less in price and it's custom to my taste.
We are talking about 1/6 of the price. He looked at my Hades 1 cable and said shoddy work from EA since they don't shield the part from interconnection of the cable to the connector:wink:

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #69,785 of 89,914
This is why the upgrade is optional! The stock Mira mk2 of the regular edition is non-negotiable as that is the minimum experience with STORM that satisfies our vision, but due to the collaborative relationship of the Subtonic and Nightjar, it is very heavily internally subsidised by both boutiques, as are the upgrades, as we want to encourage people to maximize their experience with STORM.

For Subtonic, we do not price in discount margins. In fact, our margin structure is so lean that our current retailers are actually kindly accepting a lower than market rate margin just because they believe in our vision. It's not that we won't give discounts, but we simply can't. It's quite a suicidal business model!
If you aren't making $3000 profit off that $5000 (retail) copper (pure?blend?undisclosed?) cable I'll eat my genuine Australian kangaroo skinned hat.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #69,786 of 89,914
If you aren't making $3000 profit off that $5000 (retail) copper (pure?blend?undisclosed?) cable I'll eat my genuine Australian kangaroo skinned hat.

Picture of the hat?

In unrelated news, my rebiased N30 LE reaches me today. It’s been one week without a DAP and only my iPhone and MacBook. To be honest it hasn’t been too bad!

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #69,787 of 89,914
This is why the upgrade is optional! The stock Mira mk2 of the regular edition is non-negotiable as that is the minimum experience with STORM that satisfies our vision, but due to the collaborative relationship of the Subtonic and Nightjar, it is very heavily internally subsidised by both boutiques, as are the upgrades, as we want to encourage people to maximize their experience with STORM.

For Subtonic, we do not price in discount margins. In fact, our margin structure is so lean that our current retailers are actually kindly accepting a lower than market rate margin just because they believe in our vision. It's not that we won't give discounts, but we simply can't. It's quite a suicidal business model, to be perfectly honest; it makes us less price competitive relative to brands with larger dealer margins that can afford constant discounts from RRP via their dealer, and it also limits our cashflow generation options as we can't generate hype sales from holiday discounts. But it is our philosophy that when you purchase a product of this stature, we should not insult you by making you subsidise discounts for others or pay for large middleman cuts that don't contribute the product itself.

Designing for longevity and sustained relevance also means that we can't rely on small retunes and rapid release cycles to generate revenue. We very much want to go against the current trend of fast fashion, hype marketing and the sense disposability that comes with it. We're simply doing what we believe in and hoping that there are enough people out there who can appreciate our values for us to survive. We've put in so much effort into creating STORM that if STORM is ever devalued, it will not be by our own hand. Mindless consumption is something we actively discourage, and I think quite a few clients can attest to the fact that we've actively dissuaded their purchases so they can wait until the opportunity to demo to be sure they really want the STORM.

The complexity of the manufacturing process. The choice to use top-of-the-line components, even in areas that are more esoteric and hard to market, like crossover components. The belief in compensating all our vendors, suppliers, retailers, and partners as fairly as possible. The engineering design that is an order of magnitude more complex than anything else currently out there to ensure ultimate performance, and to make STORM as future-proof as possible. These collectively result in a higher cost base. But also in a product that goes above and beyond in all aspects. Our prices are high, but we can confidently say that you absolutely get what you pay for, and are simultaneously supporting a collective of other like-minded and passionate industry partners.

STORM is admittedly inaccessible, but it is our statement as to the heights that are possible with enough work and passion. We are working on taking what we have learnt through developing STORM to release future creations that are more accessible, yet retain the same uncompromising values and insistence on quality. We are extremely grateful for all the support and love we have received thus far, and to those who've taken the time to experience STORM and appreciate what we were going for, even though it wasn't your usual preferred sound signature. We don't take the warm welcome and the open mindedness all of you have graced us with lightly, and we will continue to strive to take your listening experience to the next level!
This is why I have so much admiration for Subtonic and Nightjar.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #69,788 of 89,914

For Subtonic, we do not price in discount margins. In fact, our margin structure is so lean that our current retailers are actually kindly accepting a lower than market rate margin just because they believe in our vision. It's not that we won't give discounts, but we simply can't. It's quite a suicidal business model, to be perfectly honest; it makes us less price competitive relative to brands with larger dealer margins that can afford constant discounts from RRP via their dealer, and it also limits our cashflow generation options as we can't generate hype sales from holiday discounts. But it is our philosophy that when you purchase a product of this stature, we should not insult you by making you subsidise discounts for others or pay for large middleman cuts that don't contribute the product itself.

Designing for longevity and sustained relevance also means that we can't rely on small retunes and rapid release cycles to generate revenue. We very much want to go against the current trend of fast fashion, hype marketing and the sense disposability that comes with it. We're simply doing what we believe in and hoping that there are enough people out there who can appreciate our values for us to survive. We've put in so much effort into creating STORM that if STORM is ever devalued, it will not be by our own hand. Mindless consumption is something we actively discourage, and I think quite a few clients can attest to the fact that we've actively dissuaded their purchases so they can wait until the opportunity to demo to be sure they really want the STORM.

The complexity of the manufacturing process. The choice to use top-of-the-line components, even in areas that are more esoteric and hard to market, like crossover components. The belief in compensating all our vendors, suppliers, retailers, and partners as fairly as possible. The engineering design that is an order of magnitude more complex than anything else currently out there to ensure ultimate performance, and to make STORM as future-proof as possible. These collectively result in a higher cost base. But also in a product that goes above and beyond in all aspects. Our prices are high, but we can confidently say that you absolutely get what you pay for, and are simultaneously supporting a collective of other like-minded and passionate industry partners.

STORM is admittedly inaccessible, but it is our statement as to the heights that are possible with enough work and passion. We are working on taking what we have learnt through developing STORM to release future creations that are more accessible, yet retain the same uncompromising values and insistence on quality. We are extremely grateful for all the support and love we have received thus far, and to those who've taken the time to experience STORM and appreciate what we were going for, even though it wasn't your usual preferred sound signature. We don't take the warm welcome and the open mindedness all of you have graced us with lightly, and we will continue to strive to take your listening experience to the next level!
I can definitely support all this. Yes Storm is priced high and I will have to start saving towards getting Storm, if I want to get one.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #69,789 of 89,914
Raphael is my new favourite cable for MSE, along with Baroque tips.
Thanks Guy. Raphael and Baroque tips are next on my list for my MSE. The default silver plated copper cable with swappable terminations isn't bad either.

For Baroque tips, M sized tip fits the MSE nozzle properly?

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #69,790 of 89,914
After hearing the full story behind Storm, it would definitely be my number one choice for my next acquisition. I’d have to save for a bit for one, but all of that you said is something I could get behind.
And get it with Sovereign Symphony. You won't regret it.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #69,791 of 89,914
The Storm comes with Mira so it’s not a straight up 5k + 5k if you upgrade cables from the base Storm. But it’ll be pretty close to Amber Pearl with the upgrade.
Correct. Storm + Sovereign Symphony is roughly the same price as Amber Pearl. Both worth getting and both in my top 3.

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #69,792 of 89,914
Nov 7, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #69,793 of 89,914
Nov 7, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #69,794 of 89,914
Correct. Storm + Sovereign Symphony is roughly the same price as Amber Pearl. Both worth getting and both in my top 3.
correct, but... Amber Pearl with Upgrade cable !! :ksc75smile:

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #69,795 of 89,914
Wow, very difficult with so many good choices! I'd have to think 12 and 14 are the ones, very hard to choose between but probably 14 edging just slightly because Trifecta cures the need for bass there.

I could probably be very happy with any single row!

I count 22 I've heard!
I’m breaking the rules. I’ll throw all of those away for RN6, Perpetua, A18s.

I didn’t see in the rules you could roll your own row :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back