The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 9, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #66,316 of 87,845
I forgot to wrote about Tsuranagi. It's really something when connected to either of my daps, including also WM1ZM2 and N30LE. Generally speaking Tsuranagi is a neutralizer. It adds minus 3 dB to the bass - that's a subjective perception, while it still retains gobbles of musicality. It makes Amber Pearl almost neutral, lol.
I'll mention that the interconnect makes a meaningful difference in the tuning with the Tsuranagi, not sure which you're using. I have the Yatono and Orpheus ICs. Yatono has more bass, Orphy has less bass and mids that are noticeably more forward (and just a little bit lusher/sweeter).

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #66,317 of 87,845
5. Waiting for the new custom silicone shells for Trailii and Khan and KSE1500 from Ambient Acoustics! Should be here any day now.
Would be very interested in your oppinion on the custom tips(?) for the Traillii once they arrive. I learned it the hard way that many of the custom tip companies have actually no idea what they are doing. I was only happy with one of them. Especially the Traillii is hard to do, as they need to make the sound canal wide enough to not cover one of the Traillii sound bores and alter the sound.

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #66,318 of 87,845
My distributor. Nothing special mate, i will get it like everybody else, definitely after that date.
Don't take it personally, just looking around for a Raven replacement since EE went radio silent and I'm not sure if I'm cool with that :)

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #66,319 of 87,845
Do note that SP3K does not have a weak amp. It has enough power to listen to DCA Stealth and such. It's powerful enough as a desktop replacement, don't let yourself be told otherwise.
Hardly can agree with you on this, sorry.

SP3K has the weakest amp among all TOTL offerings. It will make STEALTH sound loud enough, but bass would be anemic and dynamics compromised.
Even more powerful N8ii won’t drive this DCA headphone properly and it has much more juice.
Only stuff like DX320 MAX, RS8 or M9+ would be able to, imo.

Oct 9, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #66,320 of 87,845
Thanks for these reflections. I don't have a clear answer on the N7/C9 vs. N30LE decision, though there is a tilt on the fun factor. I don't think I've read any negative impressions of the N30LE (other than a since-resolved tech glitch). That seems to be one litmus test, the dissenting voices. Other than price point I'm not seeing any. The N30 seems to be a remarkable TOTL-of-TOTL DAPs.

Speaking of TOTL of TOTLs, the N30LE costs more than 2 of what I think of at TOTL DAPs - for example, RS8 and N7 combined cost = one N30LE. So is that DAP's performance and the enjoyment of it worth two of the others? This line of inquiry extends to transducers as well. Is one Traillii worth a combined Annihilator 23 and Rn6? Is one Amber Pearl worth an Aura and Ronin combined? Questions that don't have answers, other than what cash flow says is so!
The law of diminishing returns as I see it. 🤓

Oct 9, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #66,321 of 87,845
I agree that the Amber Pearl is sublime. I actually preferred it through my LP6 (over the N30 Amber Pearl Edition), which tends to elevate everything plugged into it.

If I'm not mistaken your vote for the Z1r is its 10th and should elevate it into the highest (10+ votes) echelon of the poll. Quite impressive for one of the oldest IEMs on the list. It didn't have any votes at all after the first couple tabulations. I sounded the alarm and in your stead many came to its rescue.

In other news more props to my newest audio infatuation. The Bonneville just does so much right for me and has not hit a false note yet. I've been listening to it today around the house and so often I just get lost in joy at what I'm hearing and want to sing and dance to the music. Probably the highest praise I can pay an IEM is that it just brings me joy to listen to, even if this is something of an intangible and subjective response. The Bonneville does this in spades.

387788308_10168379696690654_6161201690158162064_n.jpg
My Z1R arrived yesterday. A Brise dedicated cable is being shipped as we speak.

Oct 9, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #66,322 of 87,845
As I appreciate the many musings and banter behind IEMS and other portable offerings on this thread I figure I should share my personal best set up. Some might see this as overkill and others will see a point to it. I do love it, but I am in search of some feedback from you gents because I am in search of another IEM to complement the CFA ATLAS.

IMG_6039.jpeg

1) CFA— ATLAS (with stock pure silver cable)
2) Cypher Labs — Algorithm Trio (portable vacuum tube amp. Uses a single thompson 6111B mini driver tube. )
3) Astell & Kern— Kann MAX

4) Nordöst— Blu leaf aux cable (3.5mm)

Lastly. May I say this is one terrific thread and surely what many of you gentlemen who are regular posters here, have represented Head-Fi very well.

Thanks for reading and please do suggest complementary IEM offerings for the CFA ATLAS regardless of price. I could use a bit of help because I’ve fallen quite behind in the IEM market as it has certainly blown up considerably in the last couple of years. Currently I’ve been using the Atlas for 4 years now and I currently own just the one IEM. As you can see, I could use another teammate. Long over due…I know. 🙃

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #66,323 of 87,845
SR35-14.jpg

I just published a full review of the Astell & Kern SR35! You're invited to learn more about this overlooked gem here. :ksc75smile:

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #66,324 of 87,845
IMG_2380.jpeg

The VE Aura has left me completely jaw dropped once again…🎶🤤

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #66,325 of 87,845
Thanks for reading and please do suggest complementary IEM offerings for the CFA ATLAS regardless of price.
  1. Replace Atlas with Campfire Bonneville (near certain you'll love this, Trifecta aside, it's Campfire's best yet)
  2. Complement Atlas with MEST MKIII (BC imaging, more technical/hifi sounding than Bonneville but still great to listen to)
Wild card options: Complement Atlas with either Vision Ears EXT or Phonix. Those mids are incredible and the used market has cooled off on these.
If you REALLY want to go all out with Vision Ears, VE Aura! My runner up for best IEM in show at CanJam SoCal.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #66,326 of 87,845
As I appreciate the many musings and banter behind IEMS and other portable offerings on this thread I figure I should share my personal best set up. Some might see this as overkill and others will see a point to it. I do love it, but I am in search of some feedback from you gents because I am in search of another IEM to complement the CFA ATLAS.

1) CFA— ATLAS (with stock pure silver cable)
2) Cypher Labs — Algorithm Trio (portable vacuum tube amp. Uses a single thompson 6111B mini driver tube. )
3) Astell & Kern— Kann MAX

4) Nordöst— Blu leaf aux cable (3.5mm)

Lastly. May I say this is one terrific thread and surely what many of you gentlemen who are regular posters here, have represented Head-Fi very well.

Welcome my friend— thank-you for the kind words :)

Thanks for reading and please do suggest complementary IEM offerings for the CFA ATLAS regardless of price. I could use a bit of help because I’ve fallen quite behind in the IEM market as it has certainly blown up considerably in the last couple of years. Currently I’ve been using the Atlas for 4 years now and I currently own just the one IEM. As you can see, I could use another teammate. Long over due…I know. 🙃

Nice to see some love for the Atlas… one of my favourite IEMs early on and the one that got me hooked on the CFA sound. @bigbeans has given some great advice above. I would heartily rec the Bonneville. Before adding anything else I might ask what your price limit is (always a dubious question in this hobby) and what sort of sound you’re after/what your sonic priorities are.

I just published a full review of the Astell & Kern SR35! You're invited to learn more about this overlooked gem here. :ksc75smile:

Nice review of my favourite portable player.
I’m not sure if you mentioned this but it has a 20 band EQ (contrasted with the usual 10 band) which works like a charm for those who like to tweak sound. Also as someone who does not stream at all I can vouch that I typically get well north of 12 hours playtime per charge and idle battery drain is minimal. This is a great little player imho

In other news here is another Bonneville shot from my ride today, connected to the SR35 no less.

IMG_7586.jpeg

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #66,327 of 87,845
Watercooler Top 3 Fall 2023 Final Tally

Top 10:

Fir Rn6 x18
Oriolus Traillii x16
Subtonic Storm x15
Elysian Annihilator x15
Fir Xe6 x15
Campfire Audio Trifecta x14
Sony IER Z1R x10
Noble Audio Viking x9
Nightjar Singularity x9

Empire Ears Raven x8

VIsion Ears Phönix/LE x6
Campfire Audio Bonneville x6
Unique Melody Mentor x6
Unique Melody Amber Pearl x5
Fir Electron 12 x5
Aroma Jewel x5
VE/AK Aura x5
Noble Ronin x4
FATfreq Grand Maestro x4
Elysian Diva x4
FatFreq Maestro SE x4
Penon 10th x4
Aroma Fei Wan x4
Fitear DC TI x4
64 Audio a/u12t x4
Empire/AK Odyssey x4
AüR Audio Neon Pro x3
Symphonium Crimson x3
NightJar Duality x3
Dita Perpetua x3
Apple Airpods Pro 2 x3
Unique Melody Mason x3

Sennheiser ie600 x2
Aroma Thunder x2
Campfire Audio Supermoon x2
Vision Ears EXT x2
Vision Ears VEX x2
Sound Rhyme DTE900 x2
Empire Ears Legend Evo x2
Final Audio E5000 x2
Night Oblivion Butastur x2
Softears Turii Ti x2
Custom Art Fibae 5 x2
Campfire Audio Andromeda x2
Nostalgia Audio Camelot x2
AüR Audio Aurora x2
Sound Rhyme SR8 x2
64 Audio u4s x2
Simphonio P0 x2
7th Acoustics Supernova x2
Thieaudio Monarch MKii/iii x2
Oriolus Szalayi x2

Sennheiser ie900
Empire Ears Bravado MKii
IMR Acoustics Titan
IKKO OH5 Asgard
UM Mest
Fitear TG334
Etymotic ER4XR
634ears Miroak-II Cocobolo
Hyla Audio TE-5B
Plunge Audio Unity
Penon Serial
64 Audio a/u18s
Canpur 622B
Vision Ears VE8
Campfire Andromeda Emerald Sea
MA Eclipse
64 Audio Fourte Blanc
KIwi Ears Cadenza
Shure KSE-1200
Goldplanar GL-AMT16
Shure SE846
Kinera Imperial Loki
Beyerdynamic Xelento 2
FATfreq Maestro Mini
Campfire Audio Ponderosa
Softears Turii
Rhapsodio Eden
Ambient Acoustics MAD24
64 Audio Nio
Unique Melody Le Jardin
Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro
Custom Art FIBAE 7 Unlimited
Moondrop Variations
Penon Impact
Soranik Basilica
Truthear Nova
64 Audio Volür
Empire Ears Legend X
Technics EAH-TZ700
Kiwi ears Quintet,
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Penon Orb
TGX Ear Serratus
Rhapsodio Supreme V3
Audeze LCD-i4
Elysian Dio (Proto)
Fir Kr5
ISN EST50
Empire Ears Odin
Madoo 821
Acoustune HS2000mx
MMR Thummim

Results added to Front Page

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #66,328 of 87,845

Top 10:

Fir Rn6 x18
Oriolus Traillii x16
Subtonic Storm x15
Elysian Annihilator x15
Fir Xe6 x15
Sony IER Z1R x10
Noble Audio Viking x9
Nightjar Singularity x9

Empire Ears Raven x8

VIsion Ears Phönix/LE x6
Unique Melody Mentor x6
Fir Electron 12 x5
Aroma Jewel x5
VE/AK Aura x5
Noble Ronin x4
FATfreq Grand Maestro x4
Elysian Diva x4
FatFreq Maestro SE x4
Penon 10th x4
Aroma Fei Wan x4
Fitear DC TI x4
64 Audio a/u12t x4
Empire/AK Odyssey x4
AüR Audio Neon Pro x3
Symphonium Crimson x3
NightJar Duality x3
Dita Perpetua x3
Apple Airpods Pro 2 x3
Unique Melody Mason x3

Sennheiser ie600 x2
Aroma Thunder x2
Vision Ears EXT x2
Vision Ears VEX x2
Sound Rhyme DTE900 x2
Final Audio E5000 x2
Softears Turii Ti x2
Custom Art Fibae 5 x2
AüR Audio Aurora x2
Sound Rhyme SR8 x2
64 Audio u4s x2
Simphonio P0 x2
Oriolus Szalayi x2

Sennheiser ie900
Empire Ears Bravado MKii
IMR Acoustics Titan
IKKO OH5 Asgard
UM Mest
Fitear TG334
Etymotic ER4XR
Hyla Audio TE-5B
Plunge Audio Unity
Penon Serial
64 Audio a/u18s
Canpur 622B
Vision Ears VE8
MA Eclipse
64 Audio Fourte Blanc
KIwi Ears Cadenza
Shure KSE-1200
Goldplanar GL-AMT16
Shure SE846
Kinera Imperial Loki
Beyerdynamic Xelento 2
FATfreq Maestro Mini
Campfire Audio Ponderosa
Softears Turii
Rhapsodio Eden
Ambient Acoustics MAD24
64 Audio Nio
Unique Melody Le Jardin
Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro
Moondrop Variations
Penon Impact
Soranik Basilica
Truthear Nova
64 Audio Volume
Empire Ears Legend X
Technics EAH-TZ700
Kiwi ears Quintet,
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Penon Orb
TGX Ear Serratus
Rhapsodio Supreme V3
Audeze LCD-i4
Elysian Dio (Proto)
Fir Kr5
ISN EST50
Empire Ears Odin
Madoo 821
Acoustune HS2000mx
MMR Thummim

What I find most interesting about this is are the IEMs that have a high number of votes despite being very new and elusive or even unreleased. Storm, Singularity, CA Bonneville, Fir E12 etc. Some exciting times ahead !

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #66,329 of 87,845

Top 10:

Fir Rn6 x18
Oriolus Traillii x16
Subtonic Storm x15
Elysian Annihilator x15
Fir Xe6 x15
Sony IER Z1R x10
Noble Audio Viking x9
Nightjar Singularity x9

Empire Ears Raven x8

VIsion Ears Phönix/LE x6
Unique Melody Mentor x6
Fir Electron 12 x5
Aroma Jewel x5
VE/AK Aura x5
Noble Ronin x4
FATfreq Grand Maestro x4
Elysian Diva x4
FatFreq Maestro SE x4
Penon 10th x4
Aroma Fei Wan x4
Fitear DC TI x4
64 Audio a/u12t x4
Empire/AK Odyssey x4
AüR Audio Neon Pro x3
Symphonium Crimson x3
NightJar Duality x3
Dita Perpetua x3
Apple Airpods Pro 2 x3
Unique Melody Mason x3

Sennheiser ie600 x2
Aroma Thunder x2
Vision Ears EXT x2
Vision Ears VEX x2
Sound Rhyme DTE900 x2
Final Audio E5000 x2
Softears Turii Ti x2
Custom Art Fibae 5 x2
AüR Audio Aurora x2
Sound Rhyme SR8 x2
64 Audio u4s x2
Simphonio P0 x2
Oriolus Szalayi x2

Sennheiser ie900
Empire Ears Bravado MKii
IMR Acoustics Titan
IKKO OH5 Asgard
UM Mest
Fitear TG334
Etymotic ER4XR
Hyla Audio TE-5B
Plunge Audio Unity
Penon Serial
64 Audio a/u18s
Canpur 622B
Vision Ears VE8
MA Eclipse
64 Audio Fourte Blanc
KIwi Ears Cadenza
Shure KSE-1200
Goldplanar GL-AMT16
Shure SE846
Kinera Imperial Loki
Beyerdynamic Xelento 2
FATfreq Maestro Mini
Campfire Audio Ponderosa
Softears Turii
Rhapsodio Eden
Ambient Acoustics MAD24
64 Audio Nio
Unique Melody Le Jardin
Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro
Moondrop Variations
Penon Impact
Soranik Basilica
Truthear Nova
64 Audio Volume
Empire Ears Legend X
Technics EAH-TZ700
Kiwi ears Quintet,
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Penon Orb
TGX Ear Serratus
Rhapsodio Supreme V3
Audeze LCD-i4
Elysian Dio (Proto)
Fir Kr5
ISN EST50
Empire Ears Odin
Madoo 821
Acoustune HS2000mx
MMR Thummim

It’s not 64Audio Volume - it’s Volür! (T9 correction)

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/64-audio-volür.55680/

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #66,330 of 87,845
What I find most interesting about this is are the IEMs that have a high number of votes despite being very new and elusive or even unreleased. Storm, Singularity, CA Bonneville, Fir E12 etc. Some exciting times ahead !

That’s normal— it’s pretty common for new shinies to dominate certain polls. Where it gets interesting is when they persist through time. Some maintain interest, others fall off, some have a resurgence down the road. It’s all very dramatic. “Like sand through the hourglass, so are the IEMs of our lives…”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back