The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 5, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #65,791 of 91,342
That's a great question. I own Singularity and did get a couple of listens to e12 at CanJam. This is a really tough comparison for me as I'd have to say they are both the best single DD I've heard. From my memory, Singularity still takes the bass extension, but e12 had the better mids. @Rockwell75 also listened and probably has an opinion.
Thanks! I’ve limited experience with single DD IEMs, especially at the higher end. With your description and my current crop of gear I think I’d lean E12… hopefully FiR formally announces E12 soon. Really curious to see the final design.
To my ear, it has slightly better bass. Maybe 5% at most. It is a really good IEM, but after hearing the DIO prototype which features custom bass drivers, that is going to be the breakout IEM of the year for 2024 if Lee can figure out how to produce it in quantity. I always thought that if Elysian could use Empire Ears W9+ DD drivers, it would be the best IEM in the market. What I heard in Singapore were bass drivers that compete with EE bass drivers.
DIO is rumored (or confirmed by Lee?) to be the upcoming flagship, above Anni and X, right? $4-5k range? May be misremember what I read on this one though.
I think that Singularity has better bass and Electron 12 has better treble.
Thanks. Seems to be the general consensus. (Im)patiently waiting for details from FiR on Electron 12.

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #65,793 of 91,342
1) Subtonic Storm - Amazing electrostatic-level resolution. Technicalities are top-notch. Despite the reference-sounding tuning, the bass comes in with surprising levels of power when the music calls for it. Possible endgame: RS8 -> Nightjar Sovereign Symphony IC -> Brise Tsuranagi -> Nightjar Sovereign Symphony -> Storm.
2) UM Amber Pearl - Incredibly smooth and lush, but highly detailed sound. Incredible pairing with N30LE and RS8.
3) Nightjar Duality - Huge bass shelf paired with excellent tuning balance. Props to the team for such a fun set, while managing to keep timbre and details intact. Sounds even better with the extra 5dB in the lows with the impedance adapter.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #65,794 of 91,342
I mostly lurk because this thread is incredibly FOMO-inducing but I'll add to the poll.
1.) Oriolus Traillii
2.) Sony IER-Z1R
3.) Technics EAH-TZ700

I love seeing the TZ700 pop up occasionally, adore that set still.

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #65,795 of 91,342
Having some music downtime after a 💩 day of work. MEST MKIII on duty, and my view of source components…

IMG_7840.jpeg

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #65,796 of 91,342
The changes to 2023 version Anni are almost large enough for me considering it being a different iem altogether.

I would have named it differently personally, as the difference in presentation is stark.

graph (19).png
Going by this graph, I don’t think there is a lot of change. The bass is barely 1-2 db up. The treble is smoothened out and minimised. Not sure, if this can be called a lot of difference or may be it’s this small difference making it sound a lot better than the earlier version. A listening comparison would surely tell the difference.

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #65,798 of 91,342
I love seeing the TZ700 pop up occasionally, adore that set still.
your impressions of them is what led me to seek out a pair 🙂 Love their understated design and diminutive size, very easy to pop in and get a good seal. I'm taken aback by how big they sound when out and about with my trusty Qudelix-5k, riding the train or doing some shopping.

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #65,799 of 91,342
Oct 5, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #65,800 of 91,342
your impressions of them is what led me to seek out a pair 🙂 Love their understated design and diminutive size, very easy to pop in and get a good seal. I'm taken aback by how big they sound when out and about with my trusty Qudelix-5k, riding the train or doing some shopping.

Yes they are fantastic. Mine during the summer with a Rosenkranz cable and via the N7, wonderful together.

IMG_7145.jpeg

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #65,801 of 91,342
Going by this graph, I don’t think there is a lot of change. The bass is barely 1-2 db up. The treble is smoothened out and minimised. Not sure, if this can be called a lot of difference or may be it’s this small difference making it sound a lot better than the earlier version. A listening comparison would surely tell the difference.

Having owned the 2021 Annihilator and now having spent a few days with the 2023 I think they're like 99% the same IEM. The slight increase in bass quantity jumps out at first blush but the more I listen to it the more I find it more-or-less the exact sound I remember from before, with only a slight increase in quantity. Said bass quantity increase is nice but quality-wise it's still pretty much the same, which for me is "minimally acceptable". I could still see bass being a deal breaker for some with this IEM, even though for me its other strengths allow me to overlook that. YMMV etc.

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #65,803 of 91,342
Having owned the 2021 Annihilator and now having spent a few days with the 2023 I think they're like 99% the same IEM. The slight increase in bass quantity jumps out at first blush but the more I listen to it the more I find it more-or-less the exact sound I remember from before, with only a slight increase in quantity. Said bass quantity increase is nice but quality-wise it's still pretty much the same, which for me is "minimally acceptable". I could still see bass being a deal breaker for some with this IEM, even though for me its other strengths allow me to overlook that. YMMV etc.
I've never heard Anni 2021, but I heard it has more of a "special sauce" to its treble. Has this been your experience?

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #65,805 of 91,342
I've never heard Anni 2021, but I heard it has more of a "special sauce" to its treble. Has this been your experience?
I haven't heard the 2021, but the 2023 is the best treble I've ever heard. I'd personally rank it even above Ragnar. "best" means clear, natural, pristine, correct--but not harsh, bright or overly energetic. Caveat is that the Anni really needs a DAP with a good amp (not ideal with SP3K for example), or an external amp.

It would be an insta-buy for me if not for the tuning, which is V-shaped. It's not that I disliked the tuning per se, but I'd have to spend some more time with it to get used to the tuning. What I'd really like is a more reference-tuned IEM, but with the characteristics of that phenomenal treble carried through, coherently, to the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back