The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 30, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #65,341 of 89,887
Wonderful SoCal updates! 🥰 dropping some photos on Prestige Ragnar… I’m tolerating this fit-wise better than Ragnar OG (metal housing). I’ve missed Ragnar’s sound so much, am truly glad I plunged into this purchase. Thankful to Albert who helped me in choosing this faceplate - I think it’s one of the most unique fp designs, in terms of translucency and almost cameleon-like effect, depending on the type of light conditions :) IMG_8073.jpeg
Beautiful! How would you describe the sound vs the OG? And that cable... :heart_eyes:

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #65,342 of 89,887
Wonderful SoCal updates! 🥰 dropping some photos on Prestige Ragnar… I’m tolerating this fit-wise better than Ragnar OG (metal housing). I’ve missed Ragnar’s sound so much, am truly glad I plunged into this purchase. Thankful to Albert who helped me in choosing this faceplate - I think it’s one of the most unique fp designs, in terms of translucency and almost cameleon-like effect, depending on the type of light conditions :)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #65,343 of 89,887
Any new mini portables at canjam anyone? Maybe a ifi go blu v2 or something like that? We all love our big, super daps but a little mini portable for the gym is just as important to me :) lmk
I wasn't at CanJam today to confirm if it was there, but my understanding is that Fiio is supposed to release the BTR15 this fall. It's supposed to be an updated BTR5.

Sep 30, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #65,344 of 89,887
I wasn't at CanJam today to confirm if it was there, but my understanding is that Fiio is supposed to release the BTR15 this fall. It's supposed to be an updated BTR5.
OK well that’s kind of good news! BTR 7 was pushing it on the size for sure go blu is the perfect portable with the volume wheel and 4.4 at such a tiny size but it has such bad flaws with hiss and hurting peoples ears with random volume spikes especially with iPhones every time no matter what volume I’m at if you use voice to text the ding noise will kill your ears

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #65,345 of 89,887
For anyone interested that is at SoCal Canjam I'm going to be headed down to the lobby of the hotel with the full Empire Ears lineup including Raven if anyone would like some more time to listen to them. Just DM me if you need any help finding me.

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #65,346 of 89,887
Listening to the A18T as we speak, I still enjoy it a lot. It's definitely on the leaner side but I'd say it's detailed, has a wide sound stage, guitars sound crunchy and the bass is fast. It's bright but not overly so, for me. Occasionally I go back to the brilliant review by @Tokpakorlo of the 64 audio lineup, in which he declares the U18T his favorite. Sure, many good IEMs have been released since, but for me it's a classic I will be enjoying for a long time to come.

The Volür will be a different IEM, taking the Nio to the next level. I'm curious if/when 64audio will release successors to the U12T and U18T.
Yeah, it isn’t a bad IEM by any means. It’s just aged. It has a couple more limitations than I’d like compared to others in its price range nowadays, but that’s to be expected. I still find plenty of use for it behind the drum kit, just like how I find plenty of use for the A18s behind the desk. 😁

IMG_9775.jpeg

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #65,347 of 89,887
As a bass driven set, or a bass response in general, there isn't anything out there that can top Trifecta right now imho. However @nioh was looking for " EE sound and the BC bass [with] a bit more magic in the mids and highs". For this I think the Fir Frontiers are a good rec.
A man wonders how the resolution of the Odin compares to the RN6 and Xenon 6. 🤔

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #65,348 of 89,887
A man wonders how the resolution of the Odin compares to the RN6 and Xenon 6. 🤔
I would say they’re about equal the Odin being a more on the clarity side the xe6 more on the warm side

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #65,349 of 89,887
As a first time 64Audio listener, CJ Socal brought me up to date. U12t deserves all its accolades as a trailblazer in the all BA TOTL because, seriously, there's nothing wrong with it. I had the chance to listen to U6t, U12t, Fourte Noir and the new Volur (which is captivating). Volur was my favorite of that bunch! Fir is influencing that difference I think!I
I liked the Volur as well, but the new Fir Electron 12 is really good. The bass and sub-bass is all there, well defined and controlled, but the treble is clear and articulate. It's not hot in any manner. I think the Electron is in the top of my list for this CanJam.

Oct 1, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #65,351 of 89,887
idk what was your source listening to storm. if it was sp3000, it is one of the sources that is not endorsed by subtonic team particularly due to what you described. i haven’t yet paired storm with many different sources but it is said to be very transparent therefore source/cable/tips dependent.
They recommend Hiby RS8. RS8 + Brise Audio Tsuranagi could do the trick for Storm.

Oct 1, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #65,352 of 89,887
Oct 1, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #65,354 of 89,887
He-1 impressions:

IMG_9182.jpeg

Eventful first day. Thanks to @goldwerger @Skyediver I was able to audition the He-1 which I missed the previous Canjam.

The rep advised me to play music that I had a sentimental connection to. Some tracks: (Tchaikovsy, Andrea Bocellii (the prayer), Reflections of Mufasa (Hans Zimmer).

Usually my mind has to piece together components of the music. The realism on He-1 was next level. Very different than Utopia, AB1266, Susvara where I still felt like I was listening to high fidelity music. Cliche to say this but HE-1 sounds "right". Tuning was warm-neutral like a warmer HD 600. Mostly flat slightly romantic meeting tons of speed. There's just enough bass quantity for my preferences. Excellent dynamics and bass punch. Fantastic texture, information, rigidity... space. Speaking of which, I liked the "contained" and slightly intimate staging which made it more engaging. On a metal track though, I felt like it was teethering on having a bit too much upper mid energy. Otherwise, the timbre was excellent for Classical and vocals.

I felt like I was visually seeing a music video with my ears. Live tracks placed me in the crowd where I felt like I could reach out and grab it. In terms of vocals, possibly the most natural sounding I have heard (headphone or iem).

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #65,355 of 89,887
The the first time I listened to Storm I was using the R8. That was a good pairing. The second time I did start off with the SP3000 but I was told that it and Storm didn’t work well together. The guy at the booth then let me use their RS8 and that turned out to be really good pairing too.
Best pairing I've enjoyed so far would be Shanling M9 Plus or DX320 MAX TI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back