The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 10, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #62,792 of 88,197
I see... something special in my future... and I am not becoming a pro chess player so... you can guess ❤️‍🔥

1691598716956.png

Insanity has its upside I must say... :black_joker:
David you have lost your mind and just opened a big crater in your wallet!!!!! 😂

Aug 10, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #62,793 of 88,197
Two very special albums arrived today - both classic IDM from the early 90s, finally reissued by Warp Records.

Tidal…

Bytes - HERE

Spanners - HERE

IMG_6999.jpeg

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #62,794 of 88,197
I tried the FIR RN6 today. The bass was addictive and amazing. Over time though the warmth of the IEM as a whole slowly got to me and I would have liked it just a wee bit leaner/neutral.

Overall very fun IEM though. I may still consider it in future.
What filter were you using? If you didn't try the red I would highly recommend it!
Oops just saw this was already covered, so I guess what I'm saying +1 for Red!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #62,795 of 88,197
Excited to try these!

Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 7.55.24 AM.png

As a very inactive Watercooler (does that even qualify?), I’ll be at the HKAV show this weekend for sure.

Of course my friend-- any thoughts you could share (particularly around the new Cayin player and VE 10 IEM) would be awesome :)

Aug 10, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #62,796 of 88,197
Nice. Have you ever heard of Variant (another Hitchell alias). Great stuff for embarking on an atmospheric bass-driven sonic journey.

In other news Bloom just announced they have the Monarch III in stock. They're marketing it as a "basshead" IEM...is this for real or is this some borked Harman idea of basshead. Crap bass was one of the weaknesses of the Monarch II.

Yes. I’m pretty into the Deepchord/Echospace aliases. I’ve been auditing my library to see what I may have missed considering how absurd their output is. It’s hard to stay on top of everything they release. For what it’s worth, my MMKIII will be delivered tomorrow and I plan to spend some time with it over the weekend, directly comparing it with the Mezzo LE (flat), which is the only IEM I have kept. Not sure that’s going to help anyone, but the Mezzo survived my IEM shootout at the beginning of the year and I loved it so much that I bought two of them. And I agree with your take on the MMKII. I preferred the original.

Aug 10, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #62,797 of 88,197
Aug 10, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #62,798 of 88,197
How are the pressings?

I’ve not yet had a chance to play - planning to pour a glass of later and immerse myself! I’ll report back.

On the Deepchord/Echospace side of things, I found it hard to keep up after the early stuff - then the drama over CDs etc from Bandcamp where orders weren’t fulfilled… that said, I do love quite a few of the releases, most notably ‘The Coldest Season’. I think Silent Season have done a great job in carrying the dub techno genre, especially with the more ambient side.

Aug 10, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #62,799 of 88,197
Well, ideally, you’d be able to test the IEM and the amp to see if they go together, power/sensitivity-wise. But, if you’ve already bought them both, then your best bet is to get an attenuator for your IEM (basically a resistor on a tiny extension cable), so you get past that channel-imbalanced, noise-floor-filled stage of the amp. Something like iFi’s Ear Buddy or IEMatch comes to mind. Of course, the question then is whether or not the attenuator degrades or colours the signal. Sometimes, the pros of the attenuator can outweigh those cons.

I just shared measurements from @DrummerLeo comparing 3 headphone cables’ FR, distortion and CSD plots a few posts ago. For some reason, the individual(s) who kept hammering on demanding measurements and graphs just conveniently skipped over it. I wonder why…
My initial thought of measuring these cables is because I heard the significant differences between these cables and I wonder how and why they are so different. I have explained in my disclaimer, I am new to the measurements and just want to throw in my 2 cents. I am not an engineer nor scientist, just an audiophile. I just want to illustrate the differences I have heard between cables for myself and the people who do not have the excess to them.

The logic behind cables is very simple to me. Most of the lab tests are done under the specific circumstances, maybe as some paper declared, the cable do not make differences to the signals, (even though we could very unscientifically say signals=sounds, for now) the test results came from a lab condition which we will
not live under in the real life. So the conclusion was always "theoretically, audio cables should not influence the audio signal, if the cable meets xyz standards and the experiment condition was under...".
It is like in the ideal world, I can live to 120 if I eat healthy, exercise daily, and never argue with anyone, the hard-core scientific experiment believers included. But if I follow my current lifestyle, I can barely live to my 70s if I pray more.

There are more articles explained how and why cables make differences to the sound than my tiny measurements. But we are human, we believe what we want to believe, it is easier, I understand that.

Back to the Purgatorio. It is so far the cleanest cable I have ever tried, period. The background is as dark as my Tara Labs Omega Live which is $1100 more than Purgatorio. The detials and treble extension is better than any cable I have or had. I think Andrew may still have the cable for demo, just try it out.
Would that sound stronger than my measurements?

My only trouble with this cable is the name is too long and I have to double check my spelling every time.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #62,801 of 88,197
No one is expected to eat poisonous mushrooms to experience that they are poisonous, unless some cults may be involved.
There is a simple objective kmowledge of poisons and their effects.
There is a knowledge of placebo effects, and subjective reasoning of people clinging to their beliefs, such as "tribal" allegiance and ego preservation.

Objective evidence is an objective evidence. In absence of any objective evidences, the subjective sentiments of "beliefs", "good faith", audiophiles, community, "we all hear it" and personal attacks take place.

Once again, an old good classic tale sums it up so perfectly.

Trying to add to personal attacks as a tribe, only highlights your own insecurities. If another good tale is needed about it - Tabaqui from the stories of Rudyard Kipling comes to mind.

Lastly, sadly, in science writing papers to "expectations" is quite common, but this subject is well beyond the scope of discussions here.

To answer your points briefly:

First, personal experience becomes scientific knowledge only if it can be reproduced by all people of similar qualifications. There are more criteria to it, but reproducibility suffices for this discussion.

The Q about L and C is a good one; there was some trend trying to use them to justify IEM cable differences. Yet, the reality is that L and C are very small and do not vary much for IEM cables, so no any effect of them were demonstrated (for IEM cables, again).
For the speaker cables, if one's speakers are 8 Ohms or less, the wire capacitance starts to matter, so I would consider auditioning cables for such speakers.

Next, the metallurgy of copper and silver is well understood. Many cable manufacturers cite credible scientific facts. The question is whether the difference e.g. between 4N and 7N copper, can be audible or at least measurable. Again, good measurements would offer some proof, but none is shown.

No current interest to cables from science, since this subject was understood 100+ years ago, and no new evidence brought to light. (I can tell some quite peculiar graphene story, but again it is not directly relevant to the main topics discussed).

It is then exactly amazing how $1k+ cables can be sold, but the science of it would not be physics or metallurgy, but psychology.
What are you trying to prove? Just lurking but this is all getting ridiculous.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #62,803 of 88,197
Yes. I’m pretty into the Deepchord/Echospace aliases. I’ve been auditing my library to see what I may have missed considering how absurd their output is. It’s hard to stay on top of everything they release.

Yeah it really is...constant refreshes of old material, and stuff dug up after being buried or lost for 20 years. I'm quite loving Radius (Hitchell) at the moment:

For what it’s worth, my MMKIII will be delivered tomorrow and I plan to spend some time with it over the weekend, directly comparing it with the Mezzo LE (flat), which is the only IEM I have kept. Not sure that’s going to help anyone, but the Mezzo survived my IEM shootout at the beginning of the year and I loved it so much that I bought two of them. And I agree with your take on the MMKII. I preferred the original.

Honestly I liked the original Clairvoyance more than either of the Monarchs. YMMV etc.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #62,804 of 88,197
thanks for those mentioning to me about the red, will notate!

I tried the red on Vlad's recommendation in NYC and it's been my favorite for the Rn6 ever since. It's the most balanced imho.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #62,805 of 88,197
Was thinking of the new VE10 or Raven....but I think I might go back to the EXT afterall. Its sound signature and DD mids are still unique upon this crowded TOTL market.

And I do have a spare cable lying around that complements EXT very well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back