The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 27, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #62,071 of 88,495
Jeremy, do you know the time of the launch, Pacific or Eastern Time Zone. I think I’m gonna make a run at these
Can't say I'm not tempted to jump as well...

Do we know if they'll be ready to ship immediately after sales go live tomorrow or will be there some wait time involved for the first batch to be produced? I'm guessing all of my questions will be answered tomorrow at 8pm SGT (8am my local time)... :smiley:

Still rather skeptical that a single DD can have great extension at both ends of the FR without some compromise but my experience with them, especially at the higher end, is non-existent. The 9iNE I have digs quite deep on the low end but falls flat up top. It's a ~$270 set though, so apples to oranges likely.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #62,072 of 88,495

Do we know if they'll be ready to ship immediately after sales go live tomorrow or will be there some wait time involved for the first batch to be produced? I'm guessing all of my questions will be answered tomorrow at 8pm SGT (8am my local time)... :smiley:

Still rather skeptical that a single DD can have great extension at both ends of the FR without some compromise but my experience with them, especially at the higher end, is non-existent. The 9iNE I have digs quite deep on the low end but falls flat up top. It's a ~$270 set though, so apples to oranges likely.
They have limited stock available at launch. I'd like to hear one but I'm sure reports will start trickling in next week. I think based on the sound profile there'll be some fast trading happening when the purists find it too bassy.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #62,073 of 88,495
Look what came in early!

Here are some quick pictures:
110A2853.jpg

The presentation is gorgeous and charming; I love the wooden box.
110A2848.jpg

My lucky number!

110A2860.jpg

These are absolutely stunning. Pictures don't do it justice. Materials feel premium and solid. The stock Vanguard cable is sweet and really ergonomic! One of the best-included stock cables I have purchased. Great cable, as expected from NightJar :)

110A2868.jpg

Quick impressions: One of the best single DD IEMs I have ever tried. Bravo NightJar! I'm excited to compare it with my Dunu Luna and IE600. The presentation is quite grand for the package. This IEM scales pretty well. I notice big gains switching from my humble dongle to my dap to my desktop setup. I always feel a characteristic of a good transducer is how it reveals the chain being fed it.

Nothing like the cohesiveness and bass pressure that comes from a single dynamic driver. The bass is authoritative and tactile. The treble is well-balanced and without glare or excessive shimmer. The biggest surprise is the transients, the attack isn't really that sharp, too forward, or fatiguing. Given the bass-heavy tuning, this is an excellent choice because it provides I say, a good balance and prevents fatigue. I feel I can listen to this for longer periods of time than my IER-Z1R and IE600.

Feel free to ask me any questions :) Im excited to hear what you all have to say. Hope to give more impressions soon, but now I'm too busy just rocking out.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #62,074 of 88,495
Look what came in early!

110A2853.jpg

110A2848.jpg

My lucky number!

110A2860.jpg

These are absolutely stunning. Pictures don't do it justice. Materials feel premium and solid. The stock Vanguard cable is sweet and really ergonomic! One of the best-included stock cables I have purchased. Great cable, as expected from NightJar :)

110A2868.jpg

Quick impressions: One of the best single DD IEMs I have ever tried. Bravo NightJar! I'm excited to compare it with my Dunu Luna and IE600. The presentation is quite grand for the package. This IEM scales pretty well. I notice big gains switching from my humble dongle to my dap to my desktop setup. I always feel a characteristic of a good transducer is how it reveals the chain being fed it.

Nothing like the cohesiveness and bass pressure that comes from a single dynamic driver. The bass is authoritative and tactile. The treble is well-balanced and without glare or excessive shimmer. The biggest surprise is the transients, the attack isn't really that sharp, too forward, or fatiguing. Given the bass-heavy tuning, this is an excellent choice because it provides I say, a good balance and prevents fatigue. I feel I can listen to this for longer periods of time than my IER-Z1R and IE600.

Feel free to ask me any questions :) Im excited to hear what you all have to say. Hope to give more impressions soon, but now I'm too busy just rocking out.
This makes me so much more excited for mine! How do you feel this compares to my Trifecta that you used for a bit?

Jul 27, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #62,075 of 88,495
Hi watercooler folks, I wanted to ask that when you guys buy your dap, what do you look for?
1) Do you guys look for a dap that sounds slightly colours (pleasing sound) or do you seek for objectively measured, design DAP?
2)How important is UI?
3)What is the longest time you held onto a dap?
4)How often do you upgrade your source?(Do you upgrade because of your recent IEM purchases not pairing well withbl your current dap?)

Thanks

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #62,076 of 88,495

I think there will always be compromises...the question is whether they'll fall within the range of your tolerance/expectations. One thing I would say is that the Singularity has set a new bar for me for single DD IEMs in terms of its tonal balance and getting the most out of everything.

Look what came in early!

110A2853.jpg

110A2848.jpg

My lucky number!

110A2860.jpg

110A2868.jpg

Beautiful pictures!

How do you feel this compares to my Trifecta that you used for a bit?

Singularity + Trifecta are my two favorite IEMs right now and imho their presentation could not be more different. Trifecta's sound is massive-- it's enveloping and impactful in a way that Singularity cannot compare with. This is partly due to 1 vs. 3 drivers but it also comes down to different tuning aesthetics. Trifecta's power & sound signature flows from the bass just as a Jedi's strength flows from the force. Singularity on the other hand has one eye on providing solid bass presence and impact but is fundamentally more conrned with tonal balance and attention to detail, particularly in the mids and highs. Whereas Trifecta is unabashedly dynamic and bombastic Singularity aims more at providing reference-type balance with enough fun and flavor to make it engaging without injecting too much of its own color into the mix. It's this abilty to deftly straddle the line between these to ideals to me that makes Singularity so appealing and consistently rewarding to listen to.

Hi watercooler folks, I wanted to ask that when you guys buy your dap, what do you look for?
1) Do you guys look for a dap that sounds slightly colours (pleasing sound) or do you seek for objectively measured, design DAP?

Good sound is the first and most important thing, however...

2)How important is UI?

There is a point at which poor UI and user experience can make it not matter how good something sounds.

Battery life is a hugely important factor for me generally.

Lately the SR25ii at 2.5 years.

I mailed off 3 tour kits today and packed up my own audio travel kit before I hit the road tomorrow.

2575A400-03FA-4958-97EC-B26E727D9148.JPEG

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #62,077 of 88,495
2)How important is UI?
4)How often do you upgrade your source?(Do you upgrade because of your recent IEM purchases not pairing well withbl your current dap?)

Thanks
1) I personally crave for neutral-sounding daps. For one I enjoy balanced-sounding gear, but I also find neutral daps useful for testing iems.

2) I can stand with glitches as long as it sounds good at its price. But sudden shutdowns? Dealbreaker.

3) 1 year. No one can resist upgrading/collecting once you're in the rabbit hole:)

4) Not too often. I find swapping iems more efficient than swapping daps, coz eventually they are more important in the system.

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #62,078 of 88,495
Gotta say I'm interested in the singularity as well though I really really really don't particularly want to spend $1300 on an iem right now.

The graph I have seen looks like it has some similarities to some of the fat freq iems, specifically that bass looks like it has a healthy boost that is more subbass focused. And I do love me some bass. The maestro mini I have is nice, but I have found a few reasons not to use them as much anymore, namely I find the sound a bit thin overall and have pressure build up with them. The singularity marketing material seems to indicate they are vented, so can anyone speak to pressure in the ear? And again whether the bass is mostly subbass focused or whether mids are nice and full as well.

I also haven't seen too much about size and fit. Can anyone speak to that? My ears are super picky when it comes to comfort especially for larger iems or iems that are bulkier down near the stem.

Jul 27, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #62,079 of 88,495
2)How important is UI?

Thanks
I got the M8 about 3 years ago and I'm good to go. Love its sound, feel no need to upgrade. :)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #62,080 of 88,495
IMG_9240.jpeg

Got a chance to borrow my friend @lycos 's newly acquired Nightjar Singularity so I thought I'd share some brief thoughts :)

I'll just echo what others have already said because I agree that Singularity sounds awesome. I think its the best single DD IEM I've heard, and the first one I’ve heard that's actually managed to maintain a balanced tonality while still having decent technicalities.

I hear the tuning as a mild L-shape, or neutral with a bass boost. The bass quality is simply excellent. It hits incredibly hard, with proper speed and texture. Mids are well balanced and sound natural, without any lower mid mud or upper mid shout. Treble sounds clear, sparkly and airy.

Technicalities are impressive for a single driver IEM. Cohesion and dynamics are obviously excellent being a single driver. The soundstage has good depth and I think its centre imaging is a real standout of its overall technical performance. Stage height and width are more within the realm of average but certainly not bad. Detail retrieval and separation again sounds decent but nothing groundbreaking as I expected for a single DD. That said, I'm A/B'ing it directly with my Sennheiser IE900 (which has been my favourite single DD IEM up to this point) and to my ears the Singularity outclasses it across the board.

Overall, I think Singularity is a fantastic IEM, besting IE900 as my new favourite single DD. I'll most likely need to add one to my collection in the near future 🤭

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #62,081 of 88,495
2)How important is UI?

Thanks
1) Sound quality.. slightly warm is my preference. Definitely not the type to get hung up on measurements or graphs. If it sounds good to me, I'm running with it. If I get frisson listening to it...that's a keeper.

2) The UI/UX should be tolerable if not zippy. Battery life is a major factor as well.

3) 2.5 years and counting.

4) I did a ton of exploration to come full circle over the last 7 years. I tried a lot of DAPs but I prefer a sound signature that is pleasant to listen to for hours on end. I learned in that time frame that I prefer IEMs over Headphones. So, I sought out every IEM I tried at CanJam that resonated with me and paired well with my DAP. Being familiar with my DAP made it highly probably that these IEMs would do well with all my other gear.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #62,082 of 88,495
E56B78F1-8B7E-461F-823B-5B19909ADF6A.jpeg

I received this Storm loaner last night and have been mesmerised by its sound which unfortunately distracts me from being productive at work at the moment 😄.

What an impressive iem. It’s the most transparent iems I have ever heard, surpassing even Jewel.

It reminds me of AK SP3k black background where each note seems to pop out. In case of Storm, each note seems to be separated and presented with such clarity.

It’s tuned close to being reference (at least to my ear) but still musical enough and has very healthy amount of bass. It produces one of the most decent BA bass I have ever heard - maybe the best one so far. Dynamics is very good.

This iem is power hungry. With DX320 Max, i have to set gain to level 4 and vol level at around 11o’clock. As a comparison, for same listening level, I use Gain 1 at 11o’clock with Mentor.

What an amazing iem - it sets a new benchmark for summitfi iems. Thanks @Damz87 for loaning this.
Note: I dont mind to trade Singularity with Storm 😄

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #62,083 of 88,495
Jeremy, do you know the time of the launch, Pacific or Eastern Time Zone. I think I’m gonna make a run at these
Good luck. Hope you manage to get it! One of the best single DD out there! 8pm Singapore time should be 5am on the same day Pacific Daylight Time.

IMG_3261.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #62,084 of 88,495
Look what came in early!

110A2853.jpg

110A2848.jpg

My lucky number!

110A2860.jpg

110A2868.jpg

Agree with your initial impressions. The treble reminds me (I daresay) of Anni treble (in terms of timbre). The bass is really tactile and quite addictive. It certainly is very cohesive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back