The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 26, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #61,996 of 87,749
Enjoying the current setup!

IMG_0692.jpeg

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #61,998 of 87,749
My Van Nueys mini briefcase came in. Thanks once again to @Ojisan for helping me source it. Ive been using it for the past few days. A few thoughts:

I like the jet-black masculine nylon aesthetic. Out of the many options available, I chose this one specifically because it has a handle and the ability to add a shoulder strap.

The handle is made of thick leather and is comfortable to hold. There are 3 buttons on the case handle that can unbuckle to adjust the length. The case itself is light.

Side angle

The case opens from the bottom to top. The buttons snap in pretty tight and it takes a bit of effort to close. There is also a velcro strip near the top which is a good secondary measure to prevent contents from falling out. The inside of the lid, sides and bottom are padded.

What's neat this is that the inside can be organized with dividers:

Sample position 1

This divider has a belt attached to it that I can raise to grab my dap more easily.
Sample position 2.

Right now I've been taking 2 cases (1 for iem 1 for 2 earbuds), a dap, tsuaranagi + IC.

Link to the product:
https://vannuys.co.jp/d969_d970

Very nice 👍

Did you order directly from Van Nuys ?

I ask that because I made an order recently, but once paid I received an email from them saying they’ll be able to send the stuff only 1,5 month after due to some problems with their products inventory.

And moreover they don’t ship internationally, so you need to pass through a proxy service who receive the goods from Van Nuys and send them to you, which adds some time and cash to finally get the stuff.

So for those interested, it may be good to know that getting stuff directly from Van Nuys website could take some time.

But their stuff are so nice that it’s really worth it, and btw you also can find their stuff elsewhere but not all and generally more expensive than the prices from Van Nuys.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #61,999 of 87,749
My top 3 or the ones getting most ear time at the moment are

IKKO OH5 ASGARD
FIIO FH9
KIWI EARS QUINTET

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #62,000 of 87,749
received_6565227886894885.jpeg

Elysian Annihilator -> Tsuranagi -> Cayin N7

Losing another night of sleep listening to this combo 🎵. This is giving me the playback that I want on Annihilator. I've been noticing that Cayin N7 has a great line out giving me an immediate "wow factor" when I plug it into Tsuranagi.

Deconstructing the layers: N7 adds a warm glow to the low end and mids. The staging becomes more immersive. Tsuranagi takes the realism to the next level. The left over excess treble energy is smoothed over. Vocals sound more emotional and effortless. Its more forward making Anni sound more W shaped instead of a U. Transients gain this hardness and rigidity to it like its more filled in blocks of sound moving towards me instead of waves.

The Prayer - Celine Dion, Andrea Bocelli:

Celines voice sounds saturated and sweet. Not too thick that its sluggish or too airy where it loses its grounding but just right. Her voice is centered next to Andrea Bocellii. Vocal decays are detailed. Xylephones sparkle in the background at a reduced volume compared to the vocals (around 40% less). This supplements the ambience instead of distracting it.

Two of Us - Joe Hisashi

This gave me an a emotional replay Cellos (on the right) have an earthy, rich tone. Violins (on the left) reach the high pitch notes without coming off sharp or fatiguing. The interplay between all the instruments are well separated and coherent. Compared to Mentor, it's less of a clean studio sound. Theres more piano harmonics lingering in the background.

Jul 26, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #62,001 of 87,749
Enjoying the current setup!

IMG_0692.jpeg

What do you enjoy about it, aside from probably getting it for free and promising to flood HF and FB with pictures of the setup? At least let us know how it sounds or compares to other audio gear.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #62,003 of 87,749
Random cheap Amazon cable sounds pretty darn good. Bought on a whim.

IMG_2461.jpeg

Heavy bass, wide stage, black background, and some energy on top.

Brand name: Syrnarn
Cheap😆😆😆

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #62,005 of 87,749
Random cheap Amazon cable sounds pretty darn good. Bought on a whim.

IMG_2461.jpeg

Heavy bass, wide stage, black background, and some energy on top.

Brand name: Syrnarn
Which one is that? It's hard to tell them apart!

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #62,006 of 87,749
The muscular and ballsy authority of Shanling's house sound is a great match for the Singularity...

5DC59F51-8D29-4408-8548-04CEFDB43BE2.JPEG

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #62,010 of 87,749

Users who are viewing this thread

Back