The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 26, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #62,026 of 88,895
Jul 26, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #62,028 of 88,895
Maybe I missed something, but do we know the pricing on the Nightjar Singularity? I can't seem to find any info on that.
Friday at 8pm SGT we will all know the answer!

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #62,029 of 88,895
😱

Probably my pick for top all BA iem in existence.
It’s a toss up between the Phonix, and Storm for me. The Storm has more impact on bass. Almost like a DD. Almost.

Maybe I missed something, but do we know the pricing on the Nightjar Singularity? I can't seem to find any info on that.
$1200. $400 8 wire cable upgrade option. Chang said it here

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #62,030 of 88,895
Jul 26, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #62,032 of 88,895
It’s a toss up between the Phonix, and Storm for me. The Storm has more impact on bass. Almost like a DD. Almost.
Storm also has est’s which doesn’t make it an all BA iem. 😄

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #62,033 of 88,895
Plussound Allegro Impressions

I had the pleasure of demoing Plussounds flagship iem: Allegro for the past week thanks to @Sebastien Chiu and @PLUSSOUND.

The case:
received_6510385622413177.jpeg

The carrying case is one of the most practical ones that I've seen included. I own the same brown one but this one comes with a matching brown leather divider. It allows an iem to be store securely with the shells being separated. The island at the bottom also allows a thicker cable to be wrapped around something smaller cases generally has problems with.

Design and build quality:

received_1254681905228671.jpeg

Price $3500. Config: 2 DDs 6 BA 4 EST
Allegro is a great looking iem. It has an attractive rose gold / bronze that shines under sunlight.

received_266846689315466.jpeg

The black shells are well machined. It has modern looking edges that is smooth to the touch. This feels like a high end iem. It reminds me of Ragnars build quality.

received_1287198508582314.jpeg

I also like the female 2 pin housing being recessed. I'd like to see more iems at this price bracket have this. Something that could be improved (unless its just this demo version) is the connection being tighter. I've been cautious because it doesnt take much effort to remove a cable.

Fit:

Screenshot_20230726-194654_Gallery.jpg

I've seen some interesting fit pictures with Allegro. The shells are on the larger side but it seems to work well for me. It's a snug fit but not overly stretching my ears like Grand Maestro. I managed to get 2 hr sessions at a time with minor discomfort. I would still place this universal as a "try first" before buying iem.

Sound impressions (with Cayin N7):

received_1009832896866103.jpeg

Allegro has a U shaped tuning. It's highly resolving. It has similarities to Grand Maestro and Ragnar having a harder edge to notes. The difference between GM and Allegro is that Allegro is more J shaped with more treble energy. This is an iem that will unapologetically showcase micro-details in a recording for better or worse. With the right tracks it is rewarding; It has a Ragnar effect with nuances being revealed like string popping out, vocal gasps being audible. What stands out when I listen is 1) Treble and 2) sub bass. Mids are linear but scooped. I stifled some of the treble energy by switching from R6P2 to N7 and wearing comply foam tips.

Staging / Imaging: It has a grand soundstage with great width and ample depth. I like this presentation for movie soundtracks and large scale classical. Allegro is clean sounding with good separation between instruments.

Bass: This is the highlight for me. Sub is more emphasized than the mid bass. The quality is good clean, textured and dynamic. The quantity is ok for EDM but I wouldn't mind if there was more of it (like GM). The delivery is a tactile, punchy presentation instead of being a mid bass focused slam like Fir XE6 and Elysian Diva.

Mids / Treble: These areas leave me more desired. The lower mid / upper mid ratio is fairly balanced but the presentation can be off for vocal centric tracks. Compared to Elysian Annihilator, the same tracks have a distinct channel split (hearing a cut off at the center). The elevated aggressive energy throws off the timbre for some music. For example:

Hit the Road Jack - Ray Charles: Male vocals sound unnatural. At 0:37 Ray Charles sounds like he is speaking with a lisp with the "TSH" and S voicing sticking out.

Screenshot_20230726-205727_Messenger.jpg

What worked better for me is electronic music. The voicing is more pleasant with female vocal trance. Allegros resolution and speed works to its advantage here giving transients that incisive grip.

Overall, next to Ragnar, I can see this iem being an option for treble heads. I would recommend a demo for those looking to get most detail out of their music.

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #62,034 of 88,895
So $1300 as suspected. Looking forward to the launch!
It's a deal at that price, a great deal. I'm so impressed with this IEM 3 days in.

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #62,035 of 88,895
How limited production is the Singularity? Is it sold out already? Can't recall what the run was going to be from earlier impressions....

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #62,036 of 88,895
How limited production is the Singularity? Is it sold out already? Can't recall what the run was going to be from earlier impressions....
@tamtrum posted this link https://nightjaracoustics.com/pages/singularity
which has some info. Looks like launch edition is limited to first 100 orders but otherwise doesn’t appear to be a limited release overall…

It’s not sold out as it goes live this Friday

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #62,038 of 88,895
Sometimes a song can match perfectly with the signature of an IEM.
When it happens its like magic to me 🤩

Fourte Blanc might not be for everyone, but daaaaaaamn does this song shine on it.

The guitars and voice come through so ethereal, its like your surrounded by the sound. And then when needed the bass kicks in like it should.

These are the moments for me that I know why I have multiple IEM’s. And outspoken signatures can be awesome (while not for alll music)

😍🥰

Ok enough of me gushing 😋, back to work

Attachments

• BA433471-98FB-4904-A2FB-12CEFBD6D3D4.jpeg
    BA433471-98FB-4904-A2FB-12CEFBD6D3D4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #62,039 of 88,895
Is Singularity seme-open by design?
I can see something resembling a large vent on a faceplate, or is this just for design purposes?

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #62,040 of 88,895
Is Singularity seme-open by design?
I can see something resembling a large vent on a faceplate, or is this just for design purposes?
Just for design, I think, there's very little sound leakage, maybe none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back