The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 24, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #61,936 of 89,894
While I don't consider myself being a "picture influencer" of audio p@rn, I don't know how else to describe this lol!!! Especially after the recent results of Jeff's Top3 iem poll, how great does this look? New EA Eros S 1st anniversary edition cable match with RN6, in both the aesthetics and sound synergy. It does add a little more weight to the bass and lower mids, more in XE6 direction, but looks like they cut from the same cloth :D
... sorry, didn't realize I had fingerprints on the faceplate.

Nice !

So as good as Rn6’s stock with a bit emphasis to bass / lower mids ?

How does it compares to Eletech Raphael with Rn6 (and which one your prefer) ?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #61,937 of 89,894
I wonder if you've got a count of total votes submitted in each poll?

No but all the results are listed/linked on the front page. To get the total number of votes submitted for each poll just add up all the votes each IEM got (including the ones that got 1 vote) and then divide that number by 3. It wouldn't be totally exact, as in come cases people only voted for a single IEM...but it would give you a pretty good ballpark of how many people voted in each poll.

I would assume the more recent ones have more participants, what else could explain a/u12t increasing from 5 to 8 votes, LOL. And just how dominant Trailli was at the time.

I think we are getting more participation, which is nice as it means the community is thriving. While there is no doubt a common core of people who have voted in all the polls each poll is still quite unique in terms of exactly who voted. These results, especially for the "old timer" IEMs mean more in aggregate I think. Adding up all the votes over the course of a year would be interesting...perhaps I will do that some day.

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #61,938 of 89,894
Nice !

So as good as Rn6’s stock with a bit emphasis to bass / lower mids ?

How does it compares to Eletech Raphael with Rn6 (and which one your prefer) ?

I covered RN6/Raphael pair up in my Raphael review. Eros S and Raphael have a different sound synergy with RN6, Eros S adds more weight to the bass/lower mids while Raphael doesn't touch the bass but enhances the mids. Will be up to you which sound direction is your cup of tea. Also, keep in mind, Eros S is cheaper and comes with ConX to exchange between 2pin, mmcx, Pentaconn, etc. connectors.

eletech-raph-08.jpg

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #61,939 of 89,894
Here are the results of all of our "top 3" polls side by side.

Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 7.53.38 PM.png
The times they are a-changing.

It's interesting to see how seasonality and hype affects the standards of TOTL quarter over quarter.

Very diverse list too sound-wise - a bit of everything for everyone :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 24, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #61,940 of 89,894
Its also interesting that a limited edition is on top of the charts. Not a release with thousands of owners. A high percentage of owners must be active here 😋

Here are the results of all of our "top 3" polls side by side.

Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 7.53.38 PM.png

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #61,942 of 89,894
Yes indeed :) the MEST OG really took me by surprise and I now understand why some still consider it their favourite MEST. I prefer it to MK2 and I feel it’s about on par with MK3 & Indigo for overall enjoyment. I like how it’s not as warm, and tuned more for clarity/resolution without going too far in that direction to the point of sounding thin. I hope UM bring out a true successor to the OG with updated drivers/BCD 🤞
I had Mest og for about 10 months before I sold it, I've been thinking of buying a used pair again... But the Mest MKII I hated, sold it within 2 weeks, plus I couldnt get a decent fit.

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #61,943 of 89,894
While I don't consider myself being a "picture influencer" of audio p@rn, I don't know how else to describe this lol!!! Especially after the recent results of Jeff's Top3 iem poll, how great does this look? New EA Eros S 1st anniversary edition cable match with RN6, in both the aesthetics and sound synergy. It does add a little more weight to the bass and lower mids, more in XE6 direction, but looks like they cut from the same cloth :D

ea-sig_series-special-16.jpg
ea-sig_series-special-17.jpg
Is that gold leafing?

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #61,944 of 89,894
I'm a little bit surprised that there's not a single mention of either of the ThieAudio Monarchs, esp. the II.
As someone who preordered the MKII from headphones.com late 2021, and owned it for several months, it hit the wheelhouse for many people looking for that type of sound. More specifically, for me, at the time, I wanted a "neutral'ish with bass boost" set, and in terms of frequency response, it did that for me really well. However, the more I listened to it, the more I found it's DD lacking. It played all the bass notes, but it just did not have the tactility nor weight that I wanted. I ened up gifting it to my girlfriend's brother and he still really enjoys it 18+ months later.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #61,945 of 89,894
Hello Head-Fiers,

my name is marcus. I'm from Heidelberg, Germany and I'm not really a new Head-Fier. I've been reading Head-Fi for about 10 years now, but haven't been actively participating. And this is where I change that. I want to introduce an album which can make for an enjoyable listening experience. It may not be the most dynamic or audiophile album out there, and its mastering is quite loud. But if you appreciate spacerock, decent holographic stages and bubbly synthetic sounds, if you think humor in music has its place, my recommendation could be quite the pleasure: Henge - Alpha Test Four.

Henge Alpha Test Four.JPG

Start with "Ra". Have a great week Head-Fiers! Cheerio, marcus.
That setup there is a wet dream for many of us here. Too good.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #61,946 of 89,894

ea-sig_series-special-16.jpg
ea-sig_series-special-17.jpg
RN6, the bass god. It looks like this cable was designed to be paired with RN6 and XE6. @JordonEA

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #61,947 of 89,894
Oh, wow! Quite a drop in sensitivity. That is lower than HPs like Utopia, Meze Elite etc. MK2 was 108 dB and 36 ohms.

Listening to these right now with A&K SR35. Around 95/150 on the volume is plenty loud, but I think I'm typically in the 75-80 range with most IEMs.
Obviously the impedance/sensitivity doesn't tell the whole story, as I'm way happier with these on the SR35 than I would be with the Elite and the SR35, but they also definitely need a bit more juice than most IEMs.

Edit to add: some of my files were fine at ~95, but I'm pushing it up to ~105-110 on Qobuz, which is definitely way higher than usual for IEMs.

Last edited:
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Jul 24, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #61,948 of 89,894
Here's a good start to Monday, arriving before noon, my new shiny, Nightjar Singularity!

As others have reported, this one seems magical, even right out of the box! Destroys my Tremolo, can't believe it's a single DD, what insane coherence. This will be a fun burn-in! This set is going to fast become a hit at this price point with this TOTL performance!

I ordered the bifrost upgrade cable, but it's delayed, so using the excellent stock cable for now...which seems to be an amazing pairing! Thanks to @Chang and his team for their assistance, great communication and help! They made me feel in very good hands!

Bravo, Nightjar, you have, indeed, created a Singularity, and maybe a Uniqity!
20230724_113734.jpg
20230724_113815.jpg
20230724_113925.jpg
20230724_114325.jpg
20230724_124227.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #61,949 of 89,894
Here's a good start to Monday, arriving before noon, my new shiny, Nightjar Singularity!

As others have reported, this one seems magical, even right out of the box! Destroys my Tremolo, can't believe it's a single DD, what insane coherence. This will be a fun burn-in! This set is going to fast become a hit at this price point with this TOTL performance!

I ordered the bifrost upgrade cable, but it's delayed, so using the excellent stock cable for now...which seems to be an amazing pairing! Thanks to @Chang and his team for their assistance, great communication and help! They made me feel in very good hands!

Bravo, Nightjar, you have, indeed, created a Singularity, and maybe a Uniqity!
20230724_113734.jpg20230724_113815.jpg20230724_113925.jpg20230724_114325.jpg20230724_124227.jpg
what do you think of the stock cable? that y-split looks cool

Jul 24, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #61,950 of 89,894
Listening to these right now with A&K SR35. Around 95/150 on the volume is plenty loud, but I think I'm typically in the 75-80 range with most IEMs.
Obviously the impedance/sensitivity doesn't tell the whole story, as I'm way happier with these on the SR35 than I would be with the Elite and the SR35, but they also definitely need a bit more juice than most IEMs.

Edit to add: some of my files were fine at ~95, but I'm pushing it up to ~105-110 on Qobuz, which is definitely way higher than usual for IEMs.
Well, I guess that is a lot. From the specs I see SR35 has 6Vrms and SP3000 6.3Vrms - without a load. I read that they have similar amp sections - just trying to find a reference with SP3000, as the range you mention is what my DCA Expanse needs for most music on SP3000. Even if there is a difference in loaded power, 105/150 with an IEM is a lot for a DAP. It will suck the battery dry pretty fast.

Did you check or remember the range for MK2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back