The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 24, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #61,952 of 89,323
Jul 24, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #61,953 of 89,323
what do you think of the stock cable? that y-split looks cool
Yes, the hardware is nice and the cable sounds perfect with the IEM. I am going to stick with the stock until my bifrost arrives, not feeling a need to roll at all. I did switch tips to Softears liquid silicon which are working out very well.

Jul 24, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #61,954 of 89,323
If there's one significant takeaway here, it must be Z1R! Every poll, and the lowest retail of any competitor.
Agreed I discounted them for years as I did not like the MDR-Z1R’s all that much as being more of a headphone person until after hours CanJam NYC listening session with some Watercooler guys and was a bit impressed.

Jul 24, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #61,955 of 89,323
Is anyone able to do a quick comparison between the Singularity and Softears Twilight? I love a high quality single DD and the Singularity FR has piqued my interest.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #61,956 of 89,323
Great way to start off the week. Cayin N7 arrived. Thanks to @MusicTeck as always for the reliable and fast delivery.

Unboxing:
EF78FFD9-AAA9-4183-B8B9-D1C032BFE8B6.jpeg

It comes in a hard cardboard box. I like the negative air / resistance the top portion has while lifting it with the bottom portion.

B0825CD8-07C2-423C-8AF0-9AA566D1D347.jpeg

F9F7532B-A039-498D-AA47-4321BBDC33D4.jpeg

I see two smiley faces 😂

3479B207-BDAD-4A3E-B6C6-13102E983489.jpeg

Backplate looks nice reminding me of Fio M11 LTDs glassy type of aesthetic.

66433665-1ABC-4B65-885D-4AC7DF32ED13.jpeg

The side is smooth and angled similar to M9+. I like the sizing and tactility of the side buttons.

E8C0C061-D090-4085-85BA-3A195E9735F2.jpeg

The gold volume wheel is stylish. It pops next to the black chassis, script Cayin font. Volume wheel attenuation is on the looser less resistant side like N8ii.

02E9AE46-5D1D-420F-BBF3-1C2DB443AE83.jpeg

The case is an improvement over the N8ii because it has a magnetic lid cover (like M9+) that "clicks" when letting go.

C26553C3-42DC-4C7F-8DFD-BBC00DCCCAC3.jpeg

The feel is nice. This isn't a small dap. The weight is slightly heavier the M9+ but lighter than SP3K and N8ii.

4478F771-30A5-496E-BF21-04C3079F6988.jpeg

Listening at a lounge now with Anni. This sounds different 😍. Nice tonality and immersive staging. Writing sound impressions.

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #61,957 of 89,323
Yes! Rather interested in seeing what Moondrop does with their flagships again, they were spending a lot of their time in the last year with their entry-level to mid-fi range.

However, considering how lukewarm the reception was for the original Solis, I am not sure what this one will be like.
This looks very different than original Solis as it has isobaric driver . But I'm interested too.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #61,958 of 89,323
Here's a good start to Monday, arriving before noon, my new shiny, Nightjar Singularity!

As others have reported, this one seems magical, even right out of the box! Destroys my Tremolo, can't believe it's a single DD, what insane coherence. This will be a fun burn-in! This set is going to fast become a hit at this price point with this TOTL performance!

I ordered the bifrost upgrade cable, but it's delayed, so using the excellent stock cable for now...which seems to be an amazing pairing! Thanks to @Chang and his team for their assistance, great communication and help! They made me feel in very good hands!

Bravo, Nightjar, you have, indeed, created a Singularity, and maybe a Uniqity!
20230724_113734.jpg20230724_113815.jpg20230724_113925.jpg20230724_114325.jpg20230724_124227.jpg
Are there many differences between Singularity and Isabellae ?

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #61,959 of 89,323
If the poll is still open, this is my top 3 at the moment:

Singularity
Storm
Trifecta

A special shout out to Chang, who has shown brilliant mastery in the tuning of Singularity. It is intoxicating, impactful and has such exquisite cohesiveness without sacrificing extension at both ends. This is my number one IEM of the year at the moment.

I dig the design motif, along with the simple and elegant splitter. I appreciate when audiogear cases are not chunky, so the wooden box is enamouring.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #61,960 of 89,323
I have yet to receive my Singularity having only heard a pre-production in Singapore in March. I also understand that the final production version is less punchy. However, I would say there is a significant difference between Isabellae. Isa is significantly more laid back while Singularity is more resolving with an elvated bass. In my books they are therefore complimentary giving different takes on the same track.

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #61,961 of 89,323
Is anyone able to do a quick comparison between the Singularity and Softears Twilight? I love a high quality single DD and the Singularity FR has piqued my interest.
moreover I'd like to recognize a better of 3 DDevils 😈😈😈
graph (1).png

The devil is so lovely
The devil is so lovely
So lovely, so lovely

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #61,962 of 89,323
Cayin N7 & Elysian Annihilator 21 first sound impressions (4 hours):

received_941719053568128.jpeg

Listening to this combo again as I type this out. N7 is a musical dap while being resolving and competive with that delta-sigma speed. The two things that stand out to me once again is the R2R tonality and holographic staging. Anni 21 biggest flaw for my preferences is the staging being more wide and less deep (similar to Grand Maestro) which stretches the center imaging. What this translates to is solo vocals sounding diffused and more "ear to ear" vs being centered. It's grand for music genres like large scale classical but less engaging for vocal-centric music.

Staging: N7 has this ability to immerse me into the recording like I am diving into the ocean. Similar to RS8, N7 gives Anni a depth boost that improves layering and engagement.

Tuning / Timbre: Using Hiby R6pro2 as a comparison: Instruments sound more corporeal and grounded with the added note weight. Sub bass has added punch. Mid bass is meatier. Mids are lusher and more forward turning Anni from a U shape to more of a W shape. Anni 21 by default also has that notorious energetic treble. N7 tames a bit of that giving it a rounder smoother edge to cymbals. Using high gain, macro dynamics while not M9+ level are satisfactory for EDM.
TLDR: N7s tuning is my favourite pairing with Anni 21 so far. It adds enough lower end, adds weight to the mids and takes the edge off of the treble.

Tsuranagi + N7 + Anni 21 L/O:
received_789046902706228.jpeg

Just wow. Forgive me if I am about to gush a little too much here. Changes:
  • The Staging is even more enveloping. Echos / Reverbs keep echoing endlessly like a bottomless pit.
  • Bass has more control with more sub punch / leaner mid bass. Mids are creamy, more seductive... the best I've heard out of Anni 21 so far. Treble is smoother and more rounded.
  • Compared to zx707 and R6pro2, I am noticing more transparency like a slight veil was lifted. Switching back to solo N7, there's a slight graininess to the sound that I didnt notice before.
  • Going back to N7 unamped, it sounds more diffused, not as articulated and less focused. Transient hardness is less dense and rigid.
  • I'll A/B it later (this week) with the Hiby but there seems to be a bigger delta with the line out here vs R6P2.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #61,963 of 89,323

Listening to this combo again as I type this out. N7 is a musical dap while being resolving and competive with that delta-sigma speed. The two things that stand out to me once again is the R2R tonality and holographic staging. Anni 21 biggest flaw for my preferences is the staging being more wide and less deep (similar to Grand Maestro) which stretches the center imaging. What this translates to is solo vocals sounding diffused and more "ear to ear" vs being centered. It's grand for music genres like large scale classical but less engaging for vocal-centric music.

Staging: N7 has this ability to immerse me into the recording like I am diving into the ocean. Similar to RS8, N7 gives Anni a depth boost that improves layering and engagement.

Tuning / Timbre: Using Hiby R6pro2 as a comparison: Instruments sound more corporeal and grounded with the added note weight. Sub bass has added punch. Mid bass is meatier. Mids are lusher and more forward turning Anni from a U shape to more of a W shape. Anni 21 by default also has that notorious energetic treble. N7 tames a bit of that giving it a rounder smoother edge to cymbals. Using high gain, macro dynamics while not M9+ level are satisfactory for EDM.
TLDR: N7s tuning is my favourite pairing with Anni 21 so far. It adds enough lower end, adds weight to the mids and takes the edge off of the treble.

• The Staging is even more enveloping. Echos / Reverbs keep echoing endlessly like a bottomless pit.
  • Bass has more control with more sub punch / leaner mid bass. Mids are creamy, more seductive... the best I've heard out of Anni 21 so far. Treble is smoother and more rounded.
  • Compared to zx707 and R6pro2, I am noticing more transparency like a slight veil was lifted. Switching back to solo N7, there's a slight graininess to the sound that I didnt notice before.
  • Going back to N7 unamped, it sounds more diffused, not as articulated and less focused. Transient hardness is less dense and rigid.
  • I'll A/B it later (this week) with the Hiby but there seems to be a bigger delta with the line out here vs R6P2.
Thank you for your great impressions!

Two questions: which is overall warmer and smoother (in particular on top) between the N7 and SP3000? Can you (or others) answer the same question regarding the N7 and SE300?

Jul 25, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #61,964 of 89,323
Thank you for your great impressions!

Two questions: which is overall warmer and smoother (in particular on top) between the N7 and SP3000? Can you (or others) answer the same question regarding the N7 and SE300?

I havent heard Se300 yet so I'll answer N7 vs SP3K. This is based on memory.

What both of these have in common is the more spherical staging, with N7 having slightly more depth while SP3K is wider.

Tuning: N7 is distinctly a warmer more musical profile with a lift in the sub / mid bass & lower mids. Upper mids and highs are polite in comparison to SP3K. I wouldn't call an overly warm dap, it's detailed when it needs to be.

SP3K leans more neutral. It has a slight mid bass lift. Theres more energy in the treble but less so than RS8 (pre update), N8ii.

Other differences are how it shapes the sound. N7 has longer decays with more harmonics, more dynamics but softer edges to notes. SP3K is cleaner with a blacker background, sounds more resolving, separates better. SP3K by comparison has a harder edge to it's treble but I still find it to sound refined.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #61,965 of 89,323

N7 doesn’t incorporate an R2R DAC, it’s a 1bit DAC. But I agree with everything you’ve said, loving mine, such an organic, immersive and engaging presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back