The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 5, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #48,031 of 90,221
I couldn’t resist more from JVC, especially at almost half price. Mixed reviews out there, and not very many but I know @Nostoi enjoyed, and I’ve no doubt they’ll have that JVC wood timbre I’ve come to adore lately.

JVC HA-SW01

AB744BF8-3583-470D-98E6-76B5C308D5AC.jpeg

A3E8FBA6-2A21-4F93-A293-AD5DF9BE5008.jpeg
If you want the real JVC wood goodness, consider seeking out one of the now discontinued JVC Victor DX range (DX1000 came first and then the DX700).

Colored as all hell and slightly wonky but a whole lotta fun!

4294C0AB-C61F-4676-A6F4-1CDB6A6E1319.jpeg

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #48,032 of 90,221
I couldn’t resist more from JVC, especially at almost half price. Mixed reviews out there, and not very many but I know @Nostoi enjoyed, and I’ve no doubt they’ll have that JVC wood timbre I’ve come to adore lately.

JVC HA-SW01

:L3000:About same path here .. As I really intrigued by your huge interest in those wood JVC's timbre .. that I just ordered on amazon.co.jp a rather cheap used TWS HA-FW1000T.
Not many reviews here, probably it's still missing LDAC for me.. but I want to listen to these recommended VGP2022 TWS... I hope that with the HA-FW1800, they will become my new SQ references.

TWS Wood JVC.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #48,033 of 90,221
able_to_hear_differences.JPG

Old, unknown source, but still valid :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #48,034 of 90,221
In addition to your comment about eqing, I also find another interesting observation when it comes to iems vs headphones.

When dealing with iems the essence of the sound often comes directly from their unique tuning where the source just fine-tunes it. But with headphones you often read about people emphasizing how the source can literally make it or break it, especially coloring with tubes and Class A amplification.

I can only speak from my personal limited experience of being heavily vested into a portable setup with iems and daps. But when I attend CanJam shows and try to drive some of the headphones with a dap I have on hand (even powerful enough), I get disappointed. Then, manufacturers at the table tell me, forget about it, try this desktop dac driving this fancy amp, and it does sound night and day. And sometimes it's not just about the power, but the actual coloring of the amp which improves the sound. Sort of like you mentioning about the need to eq.

I don't have a lot of full size cans, but with a few I do have, like Beyer T5p 2nd get or ATH R70x or Meze Empyrean, I spend more time trying to figure out the source. Btw, hype alert, Aroma Air Bluetooth dac/amp is so good with demanding headphones :)
I prefer a completely transparent amp, and control the warmth or brightness to my liking with the source.

That's why I have the Monolith THX as an amplifier with up to 6W of power, and as a source the RME ADI-2 DAC, which apart from being one of the best sources at this level, has many options to customize the sound to your liking (Parametric EQ, separate bass and treble filters, configurable loudness function...).
If you are a sound lover and you like to play, with this device you will never get bored.

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #48,035 of 90,221
About same path here .. As I really intrigued by your huge interest in those wood JVC's timbre .. that I just ordered on amazon.co.jp a rather cheap used TWS HA-FW1000.
Congratulations. It is a great single DD IEM. Very musical and fun!

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #48,037 of 90,221
For some reason, It’s actually the only in ear that can fool me in hearing sounds coming from the back of my head.

I think it's becasue the i4 is basically an open back headphone.

Now whether that basic info you get from graph is enough to justify a blind bite will probably be affected on how broad or specific you tuning preferences are.
For me personally, can easily tell from graph if its going to work for me based on mids and bass tuning. If mids and bass section of graph are showing something i dont like. Its easy.. Every single iem that had "Issues" there, were a quick sell or if not an owned unit was not even considered.
For instance midbass tuned above subbass. Or lower mids too boosted. Will always mean its not my iem. All the auditions/purchases proved it.

I used to try and correlate different elements of a graph with my own preferences and whenever I thought I had it some IEM would come along with a graph that manifested all the things I thought I shouldn't like...but I ended up loving the IEM. The Zen Pro, Isabellae and JVC HA FW-10000 are classic examples of this. People pursue this hobby in various ways according to various ideals-- and that is fine as we are all individuals. Many people prefer a purely analytic or science & research based approach-- but this does not appeal to me at all and sucks too much of the life and joy out of it for me. Now I approach IEMs like people-- each on their own terms. The best way to assess an IEM as far as I'm concerned is not to measure it but to listen to it-- you'll get far more comprehensive and useful information that way imho.

Edit: as an argument, i suspect that people who are looking to have a variety of flavours in tuning. Graphs will be almost useless....

+1. I wouldn't say almost useless though. I love studying graphs, but only after I've listened to the IEM.

Interesting perspectives with frequency charts. My view is somewhere in between. Charts can provide me with an indication of the IEMs potential upsides and its negatives but cant illustrate the full picture.

If I show someone this image of Robson Street, Vancouver (or even a 360 angle on Google maps), that person can get an idea about its architecture and landscapes. However, it is impossible to grasp the full gesalt of the atmosphere in that moment: The fusion of scents from shops nearby that give it that nostalgic downtown characteristic, nor the ambiance of the local musicans and passerbys.

Graphs to me is a blueprint of an IEMs DNA. The full execution of that code is hard to gauage without experiencing it.

Great analogy. This is exactly what I was getting at with my reflection/building example-- but more thoroughly and vividly presented.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #48,038 of 90,221
:L3000:About same path here .. As I really intrigued by your huge interest in those wood JVC's timbre .. that I just ordered on amazon.co.jp a rather cheap used TWS HA-FW1000T.
Not many reviews here, probably it's still missing LDAC for me.. but I want to listen to these recommended VGP2022 TWS... I hope that with the HA-FW1800, they will become my new SQ references.

TWS Wood JVC.jpg

Ugh, now I want them too - Nipper has a lot to answer for!

Feb 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #48,039 of 90,221
On the subject of watches, Instagram targeted marketing did a good job pointing me towards this limited edition watch - I wasn’t aware of its existence until about 5 hours ago, and while it’s not the sort of style I usually go for, I’m fighting a battle with myself on whether to buy it 😳

Only 456 made, and part of the face (the minutes outer panel) is made from metal salvaged from John DeLorean’s company car… as a massive fan of cars and indeed Back to the Future as a kid in the 80’s, this is highly desirable for me!!!

The styling is of course based on the DMC-12…

“Limited to 456 pieces and encased within a steel framework, the SPX is a spotlight watch for a spotlight car, with subtle design references weaving throughout the timepiece to evoke the iconic feel of the DeLorean.”

46 left at present 😬

CB8825B9-47D0-4146-9390-1BA5487A51C1.jpeg
9EAFB326-F10E-4642-B59C-C80582DD9E16.jpeg

E29FF80C-C4A1-4770-8A2D-81DD42B0A28F.jpeg

0428DDB1-731E-4D2C-9B51-A28276F47B28.jpeg

CA11C8C0-15A6-424E-A009-6B581D4CC104.jpeg
You and a few other members seem to be into watches. It's a rabbit hole I have yet to fall down. Don't suppose any of you know of decent boards for those looking to buy secondhand models? Trying to track down a long since sold out Lum-Tec Super Combat B2.

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #48,040 of 90,221
You and a few other members seem to be into watches. It's a rabbit hole I have yet to fall down. Don't suppose any of you know of decent boards for those looking to buy secondhand models? Trying to track down a long since sold out Lum-Tec Super Combat B2.

Chrono24 is a good bet - it’s an app with a marketplace of both private and dealer sellers.

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #48,041 of 90,221
You won't believe it but about 1.5 years ago I posted the exact same cartoon! Fast forward (mostly) we have a short conversation and you post the very same thing! I mean, how big are the chances...

drftr
Well, the cartoons are like virus, and they spread through internet, so the chances are... actually quite high.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #48,042 of 90,221
Welcome to the 634ears rabbit hole. Somehow I ended up with 8 634 ears iems in a space of less than 2 years.

Saw your Efterklang post, haven't followed them since Pyramida.

The first 2 releases are still my favourites, especially this track:

Hard to chose one, can you please share mainly tuning differences? 🤭

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #48,043 of 90,221
I remember when silicone CIEMs were more common. I believe Custom Art used to offer a 'hybrid' option with resin shell & silicone nozzles.
Sony Just Ear had a similar hybrid shell with silicon tip but from what I've heard they have now switched to full resin

20180518_153307.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #48,044 of 90,221
Sony Just Ear had a similar hybrid shell with silicon tip but from what I've heard they have now switched to full silicon

20180518_153307.jpg
Is that to get a better fit, less need to reshell as the years pass / ears change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back