The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #48,046 of 91,358
Sony Just Ear had a similar hybrid shell with silicon tip but from what I've heard they have now switched to full silicon

20180518_153307.jpg
These Just Ears are a dream… 🐐

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #48,048 of 91,358
Is that to get a better fit, less need to reshell as the years pass / ears change?

Doug you've been on a sell-a-thon lately...what is your portable rig right now?

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #48,050 of 91,358
Sony Just Ear had a similar hybrid shell with silicon tip but from what I've heard they have now switched to full resin

20180518_153307.jpg
I have no experience of CIEM, but it seems that there is reasons behind the switch, resin might be a better choice I guess.

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #48,051 of 91,358
I have no experience of CIEM, but it seems that there is reasons behind the switch, resin might be a better choice I guess.
It's possible for those semi-soft silicone tips to crack or break off the resin shell if exposed to strong temperature changes. I've seen cases of it happening. So, it's possible they made the switch to heighten the CIEM's longevity.

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #48,052 of 91,358
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #48,053 of 91,358
Doug you've been on a sell-a-thon lately...what is your portable rig right now?
MAX which will be off down to Steve for EXN mod when I get back onshore and Storm should be waiting for me when I get home, or there about. Listed Jewel but won't be disappointed if they don't go quickly! Digging desktop and it's put portable in the shadows a bit, also ain't cheap so moving on what I can do without for now.

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #48,054 of 91,358
MAX which will be off down to Steve for EXN mod when I get back onshore and Storm should be waiting for me when I get home, or there about. Listed Jewel but won't be disappointed if they don't go quickly! Digging desktop and it's put portable in the shadows a bit, also ain't cheap so moving on what I can do without for now.
What is an EXN mod?

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #48,055 of 91,358
Feb 5, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #48,056 of 91,358
Yeah, I'm not sure what I've achieved is a compliment to the Fourte Noir. On one end, what I'm hearing right now is the best IEM I have. It has all the strengths of the Trailli (huge dramatic soundstage, realistic and natural timbre) WITHOUT the weaknesses (no venting pressure build-up, BA bass) -- but at what price? Out of the box the Fourte doesn't work for me at all, and the Noir edition alone didn't much fix those problems.

Both the power and the analogue sound help with the c9. The c9 is unparallelled in its technicalities. The sp3000's Digital Audio Resampling, too, has a way of smoothing some of that Noir treble away. But that's not where things end! You know what's extra crazy? I forgot to mention something else in my chain. It's actually: sp3000 - 1960s interconnect - c9 (3/4 Orbtronic batteries) - Orpheus - Noir. The batteries too! I spent a year trying to get these Orbtronic batteries into the UK (https://www.orbtronic.com/18650-battery) as shipping batteries is complicated. I finally got them and they significantly blacken the c9 background and cut down on bass a bit. I use 3 Orbtronics and 1 original battery, as I've found that to be the best ratio. Yes. I get 30% original batteries sound / 70% Orbtronics sound. (I know some people say you're not supposed to mix batteries but I haven't had any trouble yet) I think it's just WILD that you can shape the bass on your IEMs by mixing two types of batteries in the amp. That's what I love about the c9. So much customizability.

But it goes to show you how much you need to mess around with correcting the Noir :D (I'm sure you don't have to do the batteries trick to get them great, I'm just showing off with how much attention I've put into this thing...)

Solid State plus AB. The Noir does not need any textural warmth (tubes) or bass punch (A). And I use Orbtronic batteries too, which further "sculpts" the bass down a bit :D
@Marat Sar

Thx for your feedback, very interesting.
I tried to find those batteries in Europe, not easy, you’re right.
C9 is a great amp, the synergy with Erlkonig/R8 was great too

Feb 5, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #48,057 of 91,358
Feb 5, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #48,058 of 91,358
A wonderful music chat and listening session with my wife and daughter after dinner - we had tears and laughter, a mix of emotions going through songs that mean a lot to us all for various sad and happy times. It’s one of my favourite things to do with my family, and so special that we are all so obsessed by music. There is nothing that connects me to moments in life as much as music, allowing me to feel being back in a moment, often many years ago and conjuring up joy or sorrow or just a simple link to that point in time.

A random selection of songs we listened to tonight:

Feb 5, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #48,060 of 91,358
Great post. Great selection of music! You conjured many memories for me, too!

I've no work tomorrow so it's set me off on a further solitary rabbit hole of music I've loved from over the years.

As an aside, no idea why there are huge gaps between each track posting in my post above!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back