The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 21, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #35,731 of 89,870
Beautiful (and comfortable) looking cables!
I agree. I like thick and heavy cables. Some people prefer lighter and delicate, though. So, they aren't for everyone. The Ode to Laura is a thinner cable that sounds fantastic. That is one attribute that should not be ignored.

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #35,732 of 89,870
Hiby RS2 or DX170 anyone? One of these two could be my next source.
I was debating over the same or similar choices, though I ended bought WM1A, but after the demo in CanJam Socal, I made up my mind for RS2. Though it works for my case, I need something ultra-portable and only play local library and I also have DX160 which is similar to DX170.

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #35,733 of 89,870
I was debating over the same or similar choices, though I ended bought WM1A, but after the demo in CanJam Socal, I made up my mind for RS2. Though it works for my case, I need something ultra-portable and only play local library and I also have DX160 which is similar to DX170.
What's the use case @Rockwell75? If you're after a relatively small, pocketable file-only player, for me it'd be a toss-up between RS2 and the OG WM1A. Of course the Sony would be more expensive, and you'd have to buy it used, but it'll have more options and probably better (different?) SQ to RS2, especially with the Mr Walkman mods. RS2 is no slouch though. All that said, I'm not really a fan of RS2 + Supermoon. For some reason it brings out SM's 'digititus' for me. So knowing how much you love SM, and how good SM sounds with WM1Z, the safe money, for you, would be on WM1A. Just me 0.02. Keep the change. :smile:

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #35,734 of 89,870
Preference is definitely personal, nobody can rely 100% on others' reviews. I read almost all the reviews of RS2 and decided it is not for me.

However, I got an unexpected chance to demo RS2 and I like it immediately. B

BTW, Andrew is amazing. I was waiting for a long time to demo RS8 since there was guy pretty much glued to the only RS8. Andrew asked me to sit on Musicteck's booth and demo other IEMs and he promised to get the RS8 to me once the guy was finished. I was so glad I demo RS8, it is my next goal in DAP.

I wish I can unheard the Odyssey, I heard it the first day and cannot fully appreciate it due to the fitting. I brought my own tips the next day and it makes day and night difference. Out of all the IEMs I heard, I know I only want one: Odyssey.

I am also glad to have the opportunity to demo U12t and U18t, two IEMs I was considering the next target. Also they are almost universally well liked as some of the top IEMs, I simply don't like them.

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #35,735 of 89,870
What's the use case @Rockwell75? If you're after a relatively small, pocketable file-only player, for me it'd be a toss-up between RS2 and the OG WM1A. Of course the Sony would be more expensive, and you'd have to buy it used, but it'll have more options and probably better (different?) SQ to RS2, especially with the Mr Walkman mods. RS2 is no slouch though. All that said, I'm not really a fan of RS2 + Supermoon. For some reason it brings out SM's 'digititus' for me. So knowing how much you love SM, and how good SM sounds with WM1Z, the safe money, for you, would be on WM1A. Just me 0.02. Keep the change. :smile:
Talking about supermoon, I demoed @Rockwell75 's universal HK version, though the time is really short and I know again it is not for me. I may change my mind if I spend longer time, but for love at first sight, supermoon failed unlike Odyssey, or even the Multiverse Mentor.

BTW, @gLer, wonderful review on RS2, since I will use Z1R with RS2, I agree with you that's a great pair.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #35,736 of 89,870
I know that there's a dedicated thread, but would like to ask also here, which iems should I look for, in the sub 2k region, that are great with metal?
Also you might try Noble Kublai Khan on sales or aftermarket

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #35,737 of 89,870
Same the last two days of work have seen my mind in the lala land of CanJam reminiscing and plotting my audio future.
Same, all I hear these days is @HiFiHawaii808 ’s voice saying “Endgame: Annihilator + RS8” 😂

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #35,738 of 89,870
For a while there once in a blue moon I'd get a notification from you from like 1000 pages back and I would think that to myself.
LOL, yeah I thought I was making progress, but then one day I realized I had somehow fallen behind another 100 pages...

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #35,739 of 89,870
Now something different
What should I use for watching this tonight ?
Probably my Elysian Acoustics Labs X ... 🤔
MV5BNDgxNTIyZTMtMzYxNi00NmRjLWFiMTEtM2U4MTFmODkzNzM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1MTE1NDMx._V1_.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #35,740 of 89,870
My source is mainly an adi2dac and a mojo2 as well
I own both as well and enjoy the Mest MkII on them both. Listentening to the Mest II RME combo today actually!

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #35,741 of 89,870
A graph shared with me from Andrew at Musicteck of Softears Twilight vs Turii Ti - very interesting to see... he also noted the differences as being:

"Ti is more revealing with more neutral bass and more forward upper mids and better treble extension, while Twilight is warmer tuned with more weight in bass and more balanced and smoother tuning. Both are great, Ti has higher resolution with more revealing tuning while Twilight has smoother and more natural tuning"

I will now of course have sleepless nights thinking about Turii Ti...

Screenshot_20220921-235830_Gmail.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #35,742 of 89,870
Haven't heard the RS2, but I'd skip the DX170. I picked one up a few days ago to compare to my DX160. Overall it's an upgrade so it will supplant the DX160 as my portable/commuter DAP, but it still skews towards bright; I prefer a warmer sound as well as more low end grunt for my commute. I may have to go back to my Shanling M6 Pro 21 which reaches deeper and has a slightly warmer sound. I absolutely love the form factor of the DX160/DX170, but wish it had an AKM chip. I know you love the Shanling house sound as well so I don't think an iBasso DAP is the way to go. I know if Shanling made an M8 in a smaller form factor that would be an instant buy for me/you.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #35,743 of 89,870
Sep 21, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #35,744 of 89,870
You can also look into EE Legend X :L3000:
LX takes my vote on this as well. Lots of Kick drum on metal. but some friends here have heard the latest and greatest that also sounds great with metal.

A second hand Odin can also be considered if you are ok with the high mids.

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #35,745 of 89,870
I know that there's a dedicated thread, but would like to ask also here, which iems should I look for, in the sub 2k region, that are great with metal?
I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again. Depends only on what you like in metal.
Give at least a few examples of IEMs that you think are good and would like something similar.

For example, I would choose something like Lotoo LP6k and UM Mest 2 or iBasso DX240 and UM Mason 3. Without even bothering with a cable. This is when referring to the aftermarket and the amount for the whole combo.

However, I'm pretty sure these combos won't "play metal good" for everyone.
Because for some reason most people believe that metal should be with a very accentuated strong bass and smoothed high frequencies.

I strongly disagree with this. In this case, the roar will be too indecipherable. And you get a situation where the technical death sounds like sludge. And the blast beat pierces your brain, but sounds indistinct. I also generally disagree with smoothed treble. Too much when it comes to symphonic subgenres.

A long time ago, I had such IEMs for metal - bassy and dark. And when in some recordings I heard that the violin parts practically disappeared, it finally got to me and I sold them.

So you should beware of bright IEMs (for example, Noble Khan, etc. - these are definitely not IEMs for metal).
But dark models do not bring much pleasure either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back