The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 21, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #35,761 of 91,355
Wow, good to you was here! How do you like this small cozy town?)
It's a pity that we didn't see each other. Let me know if there is such an opportunity next time, I will be glad to meet you)
I have to confess Ternopil wasn't the highlight of my visit to Ukraine but I always like smaller cities that are not set up for tourism nor have people thinking I'm a walking ATM. They act like normal human beings instead! Exactly good enough for me. Spent only 3 nights and I think the nearby Uspensky cathedral was probably my highlight.

I will now of course have sleepless nights thinking about Turii Ti...
I think my first day on Head-Fi I spent on the Softears forum and that is also where I met you, as like me you were interested in the Turii and wanted to buy them. Now, 10 or so months later you still don't have them??? I thought I had figured out life but now I'm perplexed...

If you have heard "Kind of Blue". Which master do you prefe
2 days ago I decided to look into better Kind Of Blue recordings, bookmarked 7 different versions, spent 2-3 hours reading about what others thought the best versions were on different forums, and I still know as little as when I started.

At one point in my life I decided to never ever look into better recordings as it's a mixed blessing at best and a can of worms at worst. Perhaps I should just be happy with what I have as otherwise I'd want to go this path for 6,000 or so recs. Impossible.

But please let me know which one you take, will you? :wink:

drftr

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #35,762 of 91,355
Just received the First Times Shielding today. Needs break-in but first impressions right out of the box are extremely impressive. I dare say on Orpheus level of abilities, micro details, stage and control, with a tuning somewhere inbetwen Orphy and Centurion, leaning closer to Orphy. I have no idea what the shielding is doing, but this sounds quite a bit better than the standard First Times. Like a lot.

Full review to follow soon, stay tuned folks.

20220921_152921-01.jpeg
Hey that looks just like my setup with the black case! I love it :yum: :yum: :yum:

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #35,763 of 91,355
I demoed the WM1AM2 at the Source AV table and wasn't really taken with it (I was never a huge fan of the original either...dunno why the sound sig has never grabbed me)...however in the case of the M2 I could have been spoiled by how good the WM1ZM2 is, which is high in the running if I ever get another full size DAP. Right now I'm interested in an equally pocketable compliment to my SR25ii in the sub-$1K realm. I wish I'd demoed the RS6 at CanJam. I heard a DX240 that I thought sounded pretty decent.
For sub $1k (especially if you meant Canadian $, additional discount) RS6 is not in the range unless for used. DX240 is nice and compact but if you like iBasso house sound, why not try DX170? Another choice is M11s, both will pair your SM better than RS2 (according to @gLer).

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #35,764 of 91,355
I just made a really lenghty post describing my experience with the Indigo and the ISN Dongle + Spiraldot ++ tips. But I pressed a wrong button accidentally and erased it all (I am at my phone).

Now I am sad and discouraged.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow on my PC, or when I will start to seriously tip roll with it. (cp100+, W1, Spiraldot++ and Stock)

Thanks for all your posts here, really interesting and or entertaining to read.

To summarize and take advantage of the recent drama here, Indigo is the best IEM on the planet and if you disagree you just don't know what's popular with the kids today. :wink:

| This is sarcasm |

On another note, today I noticed again how fit dependant the IE600 is. I use it with cp100 tips and it's the only IEM I have that suffers from me trying to get a deep fit. It actually has to stay quite shallow in my ear, but "fill" out the ear canal. It's a difficult thing to achieve but when it sits right, it stays pretty locked and has one of the best passive noise isolations I have experienced so far, even while riding a bike for example. No Wind noise. And the Sound is excellent as well. With that price and incredible build quality, sennheiser made something really special, at least for me.

Hope you have a good rest of the week guys! Maybe I'll try to amateurishly describe my thoughts on sound in the future again without deleting my post halfway through.

Another question I have to you:

If you have heard "Kind of Blue". Which master do you prefer?

I tried a CD rip of mine, a high-res Mono master and a high-res, quite new stereo master. I almost always prefer my old stereo master, it's way more mid-centered in the stereo field, but the new master sounds so artificially diffused and weird, even if the seperation is better, the sound loses a lot of it's texture and charm to me. I am very interested to hear your thoughts and suggestions here as I quite like this generic old recording. It gives me warm, comfortable feelings that I want to cherish and nurture :)
I have heard about a very recent master that tries to keep the original style intact while polishing the Sound, but I understood it's only available on a limited pressing of vinyl... Anyone know anything about this?

Quite a lenghty post again, better press "Post reply" now.
Have you checked out the 1984 CBS CK 08163 version of “Kind of Blue”? That’s one of my faves. https://www.discogs.com/release/1889720-Miles-Davis-Kind-Of-Blue.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #35,765 of 91,355
thumb.jpg

I have this one and it's nice.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #35,766 of 91,355
It was a great experience and meeting fellow head fiers putting a face to name. @discord it was great chatting about our IEM impressions from canjam.

though I felt a bit exhausted around that time I should of went back and had a listen to the Odyssey again because I feel like my treble harshness comment might of just been me getting caught offguard by the song(it's nine inch nails - hurt around 4 min mark is where I'd start the song and end near 5mins). I did find it to be one of the more complete iems I heard at canjam.

I was completely blown away by my jewel/brise yatono ultimate cable + RS8 combo I came up with a playlist because all the daps had the same selection. The one song that blew me away with the above combo was wandering by Yosi Horikawa I literally ended my session there put the rs8 on the table looked at Andrew and said "I want this" with determination.

Yeah, the Jewel + RS8 combo was amazing.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #35,767 of 91,355
Hey guys, my big review of the tiny HiBy RS2 is now online HERE.
Tnx for the wonderful write-up, Guy! Understandably you keep the comparisons within the HiBy family but does the following sound correct to you:

I'm only familiar with the RU6 and RS6, would want a fuller, warmer, and more impactful low end than the RU6, warmer and more palpable mids, and a similar or warmer treble. From your overal descriptions and comparison with the RS6 I take it the RS2 won't deliver what I'm looking for, would you agree? If you're familiar with the U18t then you know that it creates perfect outlines for instruments and voices but doesn't colour them in, or is doing so with waterpaint at best where I'd want greasy oil to put more meat on the bones. From reading your review the RS2 won't do that better than the RU6, correct?

drftr

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #35,769 of 91,355
Now something different
What should I use for watching this tonight ?
Probably my Elysian Acoustics Labs X ... 🤔
MV5BNDgxNTIyZTMtMzYxNi00NmRjLWFiMTEtM2U4MTFmODkzNzM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1MTE1NDMx._V1_.jpg
'Really enjoyed the first 3 episodes! Finally, Mando has someone to carry live-action Star Wars' back with him. :p

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #35,770 of 91,355
But please let me know which one you take, will you? :wink:

drftr
I will, once I have finally decided 😁 so far I could send you 3 completely different sounding ones.

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #35,771 of 91,355
@Amadeo Nospherathu
i like more warmer sound than brighter, so I'm avoiding those kinds of iems, I'm a fan of dd bass, I like to feel the impact, but it has to be well controlled and quick, mids have to be thick but with good separation and crisp trebles, but not harsh, I'm not overly sensitive to highs, but I don't like treble oriented iems.

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #35,772 of 91,355
I can't really tell because of the resolution of the pic but I think this is the SACD?

drftr

Yes

I'm not an expert on the different masterings of this particular album FWIW

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #35,773 of 91,355
Back in January of 2022, I sold all of my gear, left headfi and left the hobby. Life changes, as we all know and I had to take a hiatus that I was not sure I would come back from…alas, here I am! In this hobby, on the best thread in the hobby and welcomed back with open arms!! What a great community. Thank you all for the love, encouragement and support along the way.

At the time of my leaving the hobby I had one review left to write and I never got around to fleshing it out…simply because, the review process robbed me of my pleasure of the hobby. One of many reasons I needed a break….however coming back I’ve been enjoying just listening. My last review was to be Vision Ears Phonix..:I’m going to post my notes as I do not want to flesh it out as I feel it’s unfair because it’s been so long since I’ve heard it and these notes are real time notes during a full week of listening. Purely Impressions. I know this hype train has left the station..BUT Phonix was a beautiful and intoxicating listen. Without further ado…

PHONIX IMPRESSIONS

natural soulful intimate resolving ( some bass notes suffer here ) air(separation), layered and tall sound. Great trio/modal Jazz monitor good placement of stage although narrow, not congested with great clarity especially in the upper mid, presence and lower treble. the clarity cuts through that mid bass boom.

Beautiful rendering of Piano harmonics

and drums sound authentic

wonderful dynamic swing across the FR

Some Ba timbre in the mid bass region

Cello and Violin sound heart wrenching with a tinge ba timbre but still resonates with vivid emotion.

Top tier resolution, lacking some transparency.

beautifully emotional tuning of the midrange for BA’s

more emotional than the EXT by some margin

technicalities are great but not shoved down the throat

Phonix lays out the scene of the track with authority no matter the genre or style, its a provocative experience.

Fit is okay, big shells, average nozzle length

sensitive, needs very little volume

sub bass roll off, significant mid bass hump that comes off a bit flat and unnatural to my ear more thump than definition. Sub bass decays fast while mid bass decay is slower emphasizing the FR with warmth

infuses the midrange with warmth, comes off a bit hazy to me.

lower treble has sparkle and never piercing nor sibilance , not ethereal like EST

lower treble seems to be more pronounced. upper treble not a lot of air, more natural

width is intimate, depth is average, more height

separation is good with good definition to the notes

layering is also good

with decent imaging but not holographic

vocals are forward, good center image. female vocals sound sweet and soulful with good authority. Male vocals are a bit more smooth than say a single DD driving them, can sound a bit weak, lacking authority due to the lower mid suck out.

good amount of air around instruments and vocals. acoustic guitar sounds really shimmery and natural with good weight, bite and presence.

violins, cello same manner.

Flutes, piccolo, etc has great sparkle

sometimes the midrange with instruments has a bit of an underwater/drowned feel due to the midbass boost. plenty of punch but can be overbearing to my ear.

upper mids seem to be highlighted good amount of energy..(bit much for me as I am sensitive to this area)over lower mids while lower treble takes precedence over the upper.

Cymbal strikes are really nice and complete with great definition.

can hear the skins of the drums vibrating with alot of punch and authenticity. Very resolving (two folk songs)

more transparent than EXT, better layering and separation,

more definition in the mids to treble while treble having less shimmer but more air and sparkle in the upper treble.

This is where the phonix excels, the transition from upper mid to lower treble. Very open and vibrant sound. When natural bass comes in, it has punch but also a bit too boomy and unnatural, lacking some control and lacking definition of bass scaling.

upper harmonics are great-great presence in the upper mid to treble

def plays with soul with a warm character

I can see why VE decided to boost the mid bass as it works as a whole for the tuning, without it the upper mids would come off too energetic and harsh, would be too much snap without that punch from the mid bass. and the mid bass warmth also allows the treble to shimmer through.

Thank you to audiotiers for letting me be on this tour and to review for you while I did. ❤️

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #35,774 of 91,355
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #35,775 of 91,355
the review process robbed me of my pleasure of the hobby.

Yup once it becomes a job the soul is gone. This why I've consistently avoided taking on gear with a commitment to review it. YMMV of course, but it's not for me.

Edit: Great impressions by the way...I love the genuineness of the stream of consciousness approach.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back