The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #34,396 of 89,881
Is that the WATT? In existence for at least 3 decades! Incredible sound! I remember there was also the Puppy.

EDIT: Hmm... A new WAMM, right? That one goes for 4 decades!

drftr
It's that old yeah? Wow this speaker looks fantastic. Unbelivable design.

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #34,397 of 89,881
I took a U18t booster. Hopefully I don't need more as I don't have (h/w)ealthcare insurance!

drftr
Have you ever tried out the U18S? I was interested in them for a while.

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #34,398 of 89,881
Have you ever tried out the U18S? I was interested in them for a while.
I could certainly see people like them very much but for me they sounded too much like the U12t that I didn't appreciate enough for its tonal balance. In an absolute sense I'm not sure which one of the 2 I would pick to live with if I had to choose between them. I would probably want to stick with the U12t but that's just me.

drftr

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #34,399 of 89,881
I could certainly see people like them very much but for me they sounded too much like the U12t that I didn't appreciate enough for its tonal balance. In an absolute sense I'm not sure which one of the 2 I would pick to live with if I had to choose between them. I would probably want to stick with the U12t but that's just me.

drftr
Okay thank you :)

Sep 7, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #34,400 of 89,881
Tell me about it. And no, riverground has not told me about your UM Mest Indigo adventures, tell me more! I've been looking for a used pair and think it would be up my alley, I may need to do this second hand buy blindly!

Would you mind sharing what you liked about the Indigo in comparison to jewel?

It provides a little more power and they've recently redesigned the charging contact points so it gives less user experience charging woes. I use it with my Solaris when I'm on the go and it still sounds phenomenal. Cutting the wire is super convenient when you're constantly on the move. If you're stationary most of the time when enjoying your jams, it's probably not as compeling.
On the indigo things are a bit further and have a bigger sense of space, the indigo has more mid bass really good bass texture all around I think the jewel has deeper sub bass and definitely better texture. they both have great detail retrieval but the jewel has better clarity and probably the best timbre of any headphone I've heard( lcd5, d8kpro, rognir just to name a few). The indigo loses in PRAT vs jewel. Vocals go to the jewel most likelike I've heard to date. But if I bought the indigos I definitely thought the vocals were good enough because I need to have top tier vocal performance. Im not sure if I'm missing anything but I hope it helped :)

PS indigo has a more holographic presentation vs jewel but imaging is close.
If you're looking for a competitive gaming IEM I think the indigo is the best I've heard, you might be able to get the same performance out of the other lower priced models but I never tested those for gaming.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #34,401 of 89,881
Terrible toothache and trying to relax before I go to the dentist with this wonderful album... perfect Traillii music.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #34,402 of 89,881
On the indigo things are a bit further and have a bigger sense of space, the indigo has more mid bass really good bass texture all around I think the jewel has deeper sub bass and definitely better texture. they both have great detail retrieval but the jewel has better clarity and probably the best timbre of any headphone I've heard( lcd5, d8kpro, rognir just to name a few). The indigo loses in PRAT vs jewel. Vocals go to the jewel most likelike I've heard to date. But if I bought the indigos I definitely thought the vocals were good enough because I need to have top tier vocal performance. Im not sure if I'm missing anything but I hope it helped :)

If you're looking for a competitive gaming IEM I think the indigo is the best I've heard, you might be able to get the same performance out of the other lower priced models but I never tested those for gaming.
Nice, thanks for those insights. Think they will still be up my alley. Now I just need to find someone willing to part with theirs lol :)

That said, I'm looking to be enlightened/ educated on what would be a good competitor to the Indigos for a better price. :D

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #34,403 of 89,881
Nice, thanks for those insights. Think they will still be up my alley. Now I just need to find someone willing to part with theirs lol :)

That said, I'm looking to be enlightened/ educated on what would be a good competitor to the Indigos for a better price. :D
I would say, that's probably the MEST MKII for 999$

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #34,404 of 89,881

Since you've tried the Supermoon how would you rate it versus the Indigo based on what you've heard? I'm still trying to get my hands on a demo unit of the Supermoon, but in the meantime trying to find any comparison impressions versus some of the CIEMs at the top of my list for purchase right now and the Indigo along with the mest mk2 and a12t are on my radar right now.

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #34,405 of 89,881
I would say, that's probably the MEST MKII for 999$
Interesting, I wonder if the MEST MKII would be a step up from Solaris 2020? I know they trade blows in certain regards. I've read some reviews/articles that compare the two. Bass quality and quantity potentially going to Solaris and micro details, mids, treble and imaging going to MEST MKII. They're both competing in the exact same price bracket too. Oh watercooler, educate me. I may have to go back and listen to Supermoon lol

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #34,406 of 89,881
Since you've tried the Supermoon how would you rate it versus the Indigo based on what you've heard? I'm still trying to get my hands on a demo unit of the Supermoon, but in the meantime trying to find any comparison impressions versus some of the CIEMs at the top of my list for purchase right now and the Indigo along with the mest mk2 and a12t are on my radar right now.
Well if you've got a headphone preference between dynamic and planar and you prefer planar supermoon(technicalities are on par with 3k iems)might be your choice the difference is quite large as someone who has preferred planar in headphones I thought it was worth and hit above it's price. But I wasn't looking for that kinda sound in an IEM I had my headphones for that. I was looking for an IEM with really good vocal performance holographic soundstage superior imaging and overall good bass. That's how I ended up with the indigo instead(you're kinda stuck getting custom too)

the bone conduction if you've never heard an IEM with it and or never got a good fit(supposedly customs make the bone conduction have a better connection) it's just worth it I mean I tried all the empire ears line up and audio 64 and many more(I wish I auditioned the fir xe6) and I preferred the quality and quantity of bass(great texture and balance of sub and mid bass)the indigo presents. I honestly believe the indigo is a borderline totl IEM and definitely can be totl for those who preference it's sound.

Sep 7, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #34,407 of 89,881
Interesting, I wonder if the MEST MKII would be a step up from Solaris 2020? I know they trade blows in certain regards. I've read some reviews/articles that compare the two. Bass quality and quantity potentially going to Solaris and micro details, mids, treble and imaging going to MEST MKII. They're both competing in the exact same price bracket too. Oh watercooler, educate me. I may have to go back and listen to Supermoon lol
What are your primary music genres you need covered?
Indigo is lower treble and bass forward, mkii is upper mid forward / neutral lower freq, and Solaris 2020 I've never heard, but the OG is upper mid and lower treble cut, good at smoothing out recording quality harshness. The 2020 I've read has more of an aggressive midrange that works for some but others don't like it.

I like the middle mids on Solaris better than both MEST models that come off fairly plasticky to my ears. Bass goes to Indigo (treble is less awesome), Mids to Solaris, and treble reluctantly to mkii.

A big mixed bag and depends on what you value.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #34,408 of 89,881
What are your primary music genres you need covered?
Indigo is lower treble and bass forward, mkii is upper mid forward / neutral lower freq, and Solaris 2020 I've never heard, but the OG is upper mid and lower treble cut, good at smoothing out recording quality harshness. The 2020 I've read has more of an aggressive midrange that works for some but others don't like it.

I like the middle mids on Solaris better than both MEST models that come off fairly plasticky to my ears. Bass goes to Indigo (treble is less awesome), Mids to Solaris, and treble reluctantly to mkii.

A big mixed bag and depends on what you value.
I have some sensitivity on upper mids and lower treb but Solaris 2020 is just about hitting my ability to tolerate those levels with comply foam tips. I listen to all genres thats my problem so I'm looking for a good 'all rounder' but that being said, my preferences are likely towards a more tame upper mids/lower treb sonic profile with a good bass impact and that 3D holography and imaging. I still want my mid range and vocals to shine as well. So teetering on a mild V shaped to W shaped sound signature. Hopefully that helps.

Sep 7, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #34,409 of 89,881
I had the complement c made for IEMs and boy was it microphonic 😂
It wasn’t bad in terms of weight but it was the microphonics that killed it for me.
I had it with a sleeve at first. And I considered it torture. Then I carefully removed this sleeve. It was the softest sleeve I've ever seen. And yet its very presence made the cable very microphonic and destroyed faith in humanity.
Without it, the cable became less microphonic.

Sep 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #34,410 of 89,881
Terrible toothache and trying to relax before I go to the dentist with this wonderful album... perfect Traillii music.

I hope you feel better I hate tooth problems... I am in the middle of fixing a broken on myself. The pain is gone now but I will be missing a tooth at CanJam as the graft heals up. Anyway feel better and enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back