The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 7, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #34,381 of 91,357
In the CanJam Chicago thread, one of the posters called me Hardcore for attending 3 consecutive CanJams. One of the admins liked it, so he made it my title. Can't remember who it was. Maybe third eye. I'd have to check the thread.

edited to note: It was Joe and they called me Hardcore because I flew from Hawaii to go to CanJam.
You deserve it Jim.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #34,382 of 91,357
You deserve it Jim.
Says the guy who builds an airplane hanger in his front yard and then looks for 2 speakers that can fill it with sound. What do you call that?

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #34,385 of 91,357
Says the guy who builds an airplane hanger in his front yard and then looks for 2 speakers that can fill it with sound. What do you call that?
Nuts

This is the speaker from Wilson’s website.

7573963C-AF73-4A1F-880D-27402CE2C0A6.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #34,386 of 91,357
Has @riverground been telling you about my adventures with flirting with that CAM Indigo?

Everyone watching the CAM ad died a little more on the inside
Tell me about it. And no, riverground has not told me about your UM Mest Indigo adventures, tell me more! I've been looking for a used pair and think it would be up my alley, I may need to do this second hand buy blindly!
I believe this is true with a huge majority of iems but I don't have that sense of feeling with totl iems... That's why I quit iems because they always sounded the same to me (2019) and I went to canjam Chicago this year and was blown away by a few models and felt there has been huge strides. I ended up selling my whole desktop rig and only kept 1 of my headphones. I now own the dx320 brise Audio yatono ultimate cable into the Aroma Jewel and I also bought the UM Mest Indigo. I down sized my desktop rig to a schiit yggy OG and topping A90D
Would you mind sharing what you liked about the Indigo in comparison to jewel?
I have UTWS3 and I prefer a cable over it. Not sure if UTWS5 is significantly better or not.
It provides a little more power and they've recently redesigned the charging contact points so it gives less user experience charging woes. I use it with my Solaris when I'm on the go and it still sounds phenomenal. Cutting the wire is super convenient when you're constantly on the move. If you're stationary most of the time when enjoying your jams, it's probably not as compeling.

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #34,387 of 91,357
Sep 7, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #34,388 of 91,357
The last I've tried Fitear was nearly 10yrs ago - TG333, 334 & 335 and thought they were all crap and overhyped. Hopefully the revisions and later models since then were much better..
Yes, I didn't like the MH335DW back then, thought it was quite fatiguing.

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #34,390 of 91,357
Is that the WATT? In existence for at least 3 decades! Incredible sound! I remember there was also the Puppy.

EDIT: Hmm... A new WAMM, right? That one goes for 4 decades!

drftr
WAMM too big for the space, overkill, Alexx V to small for the space, though close would have had to add additional subwoofers. Room is 40ft long 26ft wide 24ft to ceiling peak roughly.
I went with this one; in Summer season color key.

B9FEA4A5-88C0-4439-A9A0-26C64BD5A2B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #34,391 of 91,357
WAMM too big for the space, overkill, Alexx V to small for the space, though close would have had to add additional subwoofers. Room is 40ft long 26ft wide 24ft to ceiling peak roughly.
I went with this one; in Summer season color key.

B9FEA4A5-88C0-4439-A9A0-26C64BD5A2B2.jpeg
Hmm... Golden ratio for length x width. Probably no coincidence!

What are you going to drive these babies with? Some venomous Audio Research / Krell / Mark Levinson concoction or so? If you sell your wife's car you can even buy a Siltech cable! 🤣

drftr

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #34,392 of 91,357
Little mid week levity that actually is thread relevant. No worries

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #34,393 of 91,357
Hmm... Golden ratio for length x width. Probably no coincidence!

What are you going to drive these babies with? Some venomous Audio Research / Krell / Mark Levinson concoction or so? If you sell your wife's car you can even buy a Siltech cable! 🤣

drftr
Lucky on the ratio it was an existing barn I am converting. First floor shop, second floor listening and painting studio. Smaller building sculpture and assembly area open to roof.

51EE2CDD-9FED-49D0-A0AC-921222E2A6F4.jpeg

Amp D'Agostino M400 MxV mono blocks.
Pre Amp VTL TL7.5 Series III
DAC DCS Bartok

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #34,394 of 91,357
Lucky on the ratio it was an existing barn I am converting. First floor shop, second floor listening and painting studio.

Amp D'Agostino M400 MxV mono blocks.
Pre Amp VTL TL7.5 Series III
DAC DCS Bartok
Of course I'm familiar with VTL and DCS but have never heard about D'Agostino. I smell homework!

Looks like there could be space for a doghouse to stay over during my demo month.

EDIT: What??? You mean Dan D'Agostino? That's the founder of Krell! So I wasn't that far off.

drftr

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #34,395 of 91,357
Sorry, forgot about your "allergy" - my bad...

Stuart, you are familiar with the legendary Jazz At The Pawnshop recording, right? Also, the other day I was talking with Jeremy about my general disappointment (maybe that's too strong a word) in IEMs regarding reproduction of dynamics. Even after demoing for instance Phönix, EXT, Fourté, Annihilator, Odin, Jewel, and Traillii I'm still missing the tremendous sense of dynamics and liveliness that can be experienced with headphones that are way way cheaper than these excellent IEMs. I always thought that the extremely light drivers in IEMs would outdo headphones by miles in this regard. Maybe I'm still spoilt by the Stax Lambda Signatore Pro that I once had but I thought by now IEMs would have surpassed them in pretty much all regards. After realistic tonality I think the way transiensts are reproduced are my next most important metric and it's probably the one that draws me into the music most as it makes reproduction so much more lifelike. I'm just wondering if you have the same experience with your move to headphones or that there was something else driving you.

drftr
I recently listened to this record with the UM MEST Indigo and it sounded fantastic! Very dynamic indeed.

Right now I am relaxing after work listening to this ethereal album:

Tycho really hit a sweetspot with this one. Have a great day everyone!

Attachments

• DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back