The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 7, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #34,366 of 91,355
Don't get me wrong, for casual listening during the day, XM4 all the way. Way more convenient without wires and DAPs, and SQ is as good or better than most equivalent-priced wired IEMs. What more can you want from a TWS given current tech? šŸ˜
I have them for a year already and being fed up with how they sound drove me back into the rabbit hole. So I'm going to exclusively use them on long bus rides to get to know music I'm not familiar with. The U18t being almost a polar opposite may explain why :wink:

drftr

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #34,367 of 91,355
Yes, don't like them. Uncomfortable (for me) and SQ doesn't rival LDAC (depends on IEM of course).
OK. I quite like them. Fortunately I don't feel them and SQ is acceptable when working out (bike, treadmill) or walking. I use them with the Nio. I prefer this solution to the Airpods Pro. But might look into other TWS.

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #34,368 of 91,355
I have them for a year already and being fed up with how they sound drove me back into the rabbit hole. So I'm going to exclusively use them on long bus rides to get to know music I'm not familiar with. The U18t being almost a polar opposite may explain why :wink:

drftr
Yeah, I use them for music discovery all the time. They have the right amount of bass weight and texture to give me a good idea how a track will sound with my 'proper' IEMs. At the same time I can take them on trips and they're good enough that I don't miss the wired stuff. Especially in cars and on planes or louder outdoor/indoor areas where ANC is a must.

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #34,369 of 91,355
OK. I quite like them. Fortunately I don't feel them and SQ is acceptable when working out (bike, treadmill) or walking. I use them with the Nio. I prefer this solution to the Airpods Pro. But might look into other TWS.
I'm very sensitive to anything behind my ears. Cable loops are about as thick as I can go without discomfort. When it's time for hearing aids it'll have to be the tiny in-ear versions šŸ˜‰

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #34,371 of 91,355
Are those still the best available as far as you know, Matt? It's certainly a way to get around microphonics! (and forking over a grand for a cable)

drftr
I believe they are one of the best, but I haven't done extensive research in that area, I just picked these up. They are definitely good enough for my use case. Obviously, the SQ is not at the same level as a TOTL DAP and cable.

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #34,372 of 91,355
I believe they are one of the best, but I haven't done extensive research in that area, I just picked these up. They are definitely good enough for my use case. Obviously, the SQ is not at the same level as a TOTL DAP and cable.
Of course. We may get there sooner rather than later though once they find a way to go modular. I'd pay 1k for great modular DAC earhooks over a cable any day. I know qdc is working on this for many months already and I'm sure FiiO and the like are doing the same. Gotta beat your competitors on this rock.

drftr

Sep 7, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #34,373 of 91,355
I dropped by Jaben Singapore to say hello to @Uncle Wilson . He was excited to inform me that the FitEar Silver UIEM demo unit was in. :)

4FB8B51C-0B85-4DEA-BDA9-B154FCB55E24.jpeg
5F7CE7D0-787A-4B0D-9D82-DB554CA9158F.jpeg

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #34,374 of 91,355
Are those still the best available as far as you know, Matt? It's certainly a way to get around microphonics! (and forking over a grand for a cable)

drftr
I have UTWS3 and I prefer a cable over it. Not sure if UTWS5 is significantly better or not.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #34,375 of 91,355
I have UTWS3 and I prefer a cable over it. Not sure if UTWS5 is significantly better or not.
The main reason that keeps me from trying is that more electronics means a higher chance of failure when travelling but I would be interested in learning how much one would really lose quality-wise, and how that would weigh compared to what one would win in not being tied down like a dog, microphonics, price, etcetera. I will find out one of these days.

drftr

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #34,376 of 91,355
The main reason that keeps me from trying is that more electronics means a higher chance of failure when travelling but I would be interested in learning how much one would really lose quality-wise, and how that would weigh compared to what one would win in not being tied down like a dog, microphonics, price, etcetera. I will find out one of these days.

drftr
They are good. I have found that over time, I still prefer the cable experience. I like the sound and the comfort of cables better.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #34,378 of 91,355
I'm not clear about what you mean with the comfort of cables? You mean the discomfort on the ear from earhooks, right?

drftr
I find cables more comfortable than the ear hooks of the UTWS3.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #34,379 of 91,355
The last I've tried Fitear was nearly 10yrs ago - TG333, 334 & 335 and thought they were all crap and overhyped. Hopefully the revisions and later models since then were much better..

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #34,380 of 91,355
I've been looking at the Classifieds like 5-6 times per day lately and I don't even know why. Guess it's time to see a doctor to see if I have caught the bug.

drftr
The U12T vaccination, requires booster shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back