The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 20, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #29,686 of 87,676
IMG_2097.jpg
I have yet to see any picture of FT with Shielding, or maybe I have seen one but didn't notice if it was shielded version. Is the one shown above a regular FT or FT with shielding?
Is FT with Shielding similar to Orpheus with Shielding in thickness?

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #29,687 of 87,676
I have yet to see any picture of FT with Shielding, or maybe I have seen one but didn't notice if it was shielded version. Is the one shown above a regular FT or FT with shielding?
I believe this is the no shielding version of first times, I tried the first times shielding before looks different it is thicker

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #29,688 of 87,676
Thanks for this post and your observations about the Chord combo being on a par with TOTL DAPs. That's really useful info.

Have you - or has anyone else - heard the iFi Gryphon or Diablo and the Mojo 2/Poly? If so, I'd be interested about how they stand up.

Edit: further to the discussion above about foreign currency rates, it was already annoying that the Mojo 2 is $775 in the US and 495 GBP in the UK. At today's exchange rate, the Mojo 2 in the UK is the equivalent of $592. (My mum in the UK might end up getting a package for me...) iFi, by comparison, prices its items similarly for the US and the UK.
I have heard the Gryphon and the Diablo. I did not A/B test them, so I can't compare them directly. But, here is what I recall. The diablo is great. I really liked it. But, I liked it more to drive full sized headphones given the power it produces. I thought it was great with the Z1R which needs a lot of power.

The Gryphon I liked for its LDAC Bluetooth implementation. Otherwise, I thought it was only okay. But, both of these listens were for a short time. I usually need a full week with a product A/B testing it against everything to feel confident that my impressions are solid. Usually if I like something at first listen, I will like it going forward. If I don't like something, I may like it after I get it for a week.

There are UK distributors that will ship to the US. Not sure if they carry Mojo 2, but it is worth looking for one that will ship to the US to get a better price.

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #29,689 of 87,676

Yes, it is very similar in thickness, look and feel. When I was in the Music teck booth, Andrew had to look very closely to tell which cable was his FT shielding versus his last Orpheus.

This is my number 1 portable IEM set up of everything I have heard or owned.

Red Halo with FT Shielding.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #29,690 of 87,676
Yes, it is very similar in thickness, look and feel. When I was in the Music teck booth, Andrew had to look very closely to tell which cable for FT shielding for his last Orpheus.

Gorgeous

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #29,691 of 87,676
I have a question. I've been looking at Plussound cables since I can source them in the country but they have a ton of variety regarding the cable types. I've obviously read a lot of good things about the TriHybrid's but I'm not sure I can even get them locally. So my question is if there are any preferred cable types that people would say are the main options they look at when looking at Plussound. I was looking at their new cables but tbh from the pictures I'm not convinced regarding the aesthetics of them. So I'm wondering if there are outstanding cable types in their line up.

Edit: Clarification

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #29,692 of 87,676
I have a question. I've been looking at Plussound cables since I can source them in the country but they have a ton of variety regarding the cable types. I've obviously read a lot of good things about the TriHybrid's but I can even get them locally. So my question is if there are any preferred cable types that people would say are the main options they look at when looking at Plussound. I was looking at their new cables but tbh from the pictures I'm not convinced regarding the aesthetics of them. So I'm wondering if there are outstanding cable types in their line up.
I am very interested in the answer to this question as well as it relates to full sized headphones. They have such variety in cable materials that I can't figure out which one to get for a ZMF headphone.

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #29,693 of 87,676
I have a question. I've been looking at Plussound cables since I can source them in the country but they have a ton of variety regarding the cable types. I've obviously read a lot of good things about the TriHybrid's but I'm not sure I can even get them locally. So my question is if there are any preferred cable types that people would say are the main options they look at when looking at Plussound. I was looking at their new cables but tbh from the pictures I'm not convinced regarding the aesthetics of them. So I'm wondering if there are outstanding cable types in their line up.

Edit: Clarification
Honestly, in my experience the further you go up the pricing ladder the performance seems to follow. Depending on the base material of each is an indication of the sort of tonality you are more likely to get even though the tri-silver is very natural and full bodied to my ears and the copper+ is very detailed. Again, the more expensive the cable material the higher the performance. The types (Exo, Poetic etc) just relates to sheathing etc and has little impact on the performance of the cable but does have an impact on general longevity albeit the X6 / X8.... I am yet to do a comparison between an Exo and its X6 / X8 counterpart but im sure others here have.

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #29,694 of 87,676
Only July, and not only will this rank in my top albums of 2022, but already securing a place in future classics category.

ASC is a prolific electronic music producer, originally for drum & bass, and branching out more in recent years from industrial infused electronica, to drone filled ambient - this is an evolution of the latter, with a focus on solo piano and strings. Absolutely beautiful, on my 4th listen since purchasing last night. I would suggest a Harold Budd influence here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 20, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #29,695 of 87,676
I do love my Mojo2 it has been great with my Mest MK2 and the Aroma Thunder. I use it with the Hiby R3 Pro Saber with a coax cable. Thanks for this as I have been wondering if I needed to buy a higher end DAP to see my IEMs at their best. I will audition the N8ii at Canjam to see how I like it but I am now in no rush!

I actually bought an R3 Pro during Christmas along with the special case that holds both a Mojo and R3 Pro. It is a fantastic form factor that is small and compact. After using it for a week, I returned the R3 Pro because the performance of the UI was way too slow and unresponsive. It think it would be better with an R6 since the Android implementation is much faster. For the price, this set up punches way above its price point.

I decided to stay with the Mojo 2/Poly because I could control it with either my iPhone or Apple Watch and the sound quality of the Poly takes the Mojo and Mojo 2 up a level. The downside is that the GoFigure software is not very good. And, you need a wifi network connected to the internet for it to work well.

IMG_1670.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg
IMG_1677.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #29,696 of 87,676
Only July, and not only will this rank in my top albums of 2022, but already securing a place in future classics category.

ASC is a prolific electronic music producer, originally for drum & bass, and branching out more in recent years from industrial infused electronica, to drone filled ambient - this is an evolution of the latter, with a focus on solo piano and strings. Absolutely beautiful, on my 4th listen since purchasing last night. I would suggest a Harold Budd influence here.

Didn't know about this, one to plug the iems for!

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #29,697 of 87,676
I actually bought an R3 Pro during Christmas along with the special case that holds both a Mojo and R3 Pro. It is a fantastic form factor that is small and compact. After using it for a week, I returned the R3 Pro because the performance of the UI was way too slow and unresponsive. It think it would be better with an R6 since the Android implementation is much faster. For the price, this set up punches way above its price point.

I decided to stay with the Mojo 2/Poly because I could control it with either my iPhone or Apple Watch and the sound quality of the Poly takes the Mojo and Mojo 2 up a level. The downside is that the GoFigure software is not very good. And, you need a wifi network connected to the internet for it to work well.

IMG_1670.jpgIMG_1673.jpgIMG_1677.jpg
I am looking at the Poly as well. Hearing that it is a SQ boost as well is very cool. Poly is Roon ready as well which since in my house I am a big Roon user that definitely has me leaning that direction. For my use the R3's UI isn't to bad though yes a bit sluggish. As I haven't seen a nice 3D printed case for the Mojo2/R3 as of yet I bought a cheapish Miter case for the Mojo2 and used a 2 inch wide velcro tape strip to stick the clear R3 case to the Mojo2 case. Been working like a charm!

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #29,698 of 87,676
Yes, it is very similar in thickness, look and feel. When I was in the Music teck booth, Andrew had to look very closely to tell which cable was his FT shielding versus his last Orpheus.

Has anyone directly compared the FT Shielding vs Meet Again Shielding? I am curious if it's a different cable, or just cosmetic changes.

And if it's different, how does it compare to the Orpheus Shielding?

I have the opportunity to upgrade my FT to Shielding, wondering if it will be worth it. I don't mind the ergonomics of the PW Shielding cables, only sound matters.

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #29,699 of 87,676
If you are going to buy a Poly you need good home WiFi.

I have the Poly and if I use Google WiFi it works well, it I use the telecom companies wifi thing it hardly works.

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #29,700 of 87,676
So we have options still to spent a coin in 2022
Bitcoin I mean
  • Subtonic Storm
  • Oriolus xxxx
  • EA Project L
  • New TOTL from another brand ... 🤐
  • LP7 ... maybe
Looks good ... 😎
Of those, I am only seriously interested in the LP7. Will listen to the others, but will only buy something if it blows me away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back