The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 20, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #29,716 of 88,548
Cooler survey, summer fun edition.

We're going to create Watercooler summer mixtape. I'll ask everyone interested to contribute 3 tracks as follows:

1) One of you're all time fave classic tracks
2) Something new or new to you that you're feeling right now
3) Something somewhat obscure or left-field that you'd like to share.

Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It

One of my favourite bands of all time, especially the last three albums. Mark Hollis was an absolute genius, RIP.

I bought this album last year but only really started listening lately. It's nice upbeat synthpop, with fantastic melodies - it's become a family favourite, both of my kids now listen to the artist and particularly love this song. It has quite an 80's synth vibe to it, and a sense of nostalgia. Fantastic.

This is taken from a relatively new album. Modern classical and incredibly intense, multi instrumental with layers and layers building on each other, quite an experience with whatever IEMs give the largest stage!

Jul 20, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #29,717 of 88,548
Sometimes you climb the mountain
EBA42F9B-994B-4A88-9595-137E0C27269F.jpeg

sometimes you just plug n play

B6C7081B-44F4-4FC9-88F4-7F9B528E5189.jpeg

Jul 20, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #29,718 of 88,548
Jul 20, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #29,719 of 88,548
I'm a massive fan of Loscil, consistently brilliant artist.

He's local to BC :)

That whole album is themed on the lower mainland (Vancouver BC) where I grew up. "First Narrows" is the name of a bridge I used to drive from North Vancouver into downtown Vancouver.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #29,721 of 88,548
Do many of you use your IEM's consistently on a desktop rig and if so what are you using for amplification? I find IEM's great for long days working from home. They are comfortable, light weight, and isolate me from dogs, kids, household guests, and other such distractions. My chain today is as follows, Roon > M1 Mac mini > Audioquest Jitterbug >Wywires Silver USB > Schiit Yggdrasil OG > WyWires Silver XLR Interconnect > Singxer SA-1 > Aroma Audio Thunder. Power conditioned by medical grade isolation transformer.

I bought the Singxer SA-1 for it's versatilty, but as I am using almost exlusively IEM's through it as my over ear time when it's quiet is mostly dedicated to my RAAL Requisite SR1a. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for great desktop amps for IEMs?

Jul 20, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #29,722 of 88,548
How about Mexican accordion electronic chill out dance music, For a change

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #29,723 of 88,548

We're going to create Watercooler summer mixtape. I'll ask everyone interested to contribute 3 tracks as follows:

Awesome idea, mate. I'm centering mine around beautiful female voices.

1) Anita Baker - Giving You The Best That I Got

2) Lake Street Dive - Nick of Time (Bonnie Raitt cover)

...and, my personal favorite... :wink:

3) Laufey - Valentine (Live)

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #29,724 of 88,548

Well, maybe it's not quite a classic and I'm still more into metal, but I'll add my 2 cents.

1. So, the first thing that has to do with the classics and has been in my playlist for a long time, even before I knew what test tracks were.
Nightwish - The Phantom of the Opera (Live End of an Era 2005). In my opinion, one of the best performances. The combination of two quite different and quite professional voices captures from the lyrics and music everything that the author tried to convey.

2. Discovery of recent days - Howard Jones. His luxurious deep and wide baritone gives birth to all the music where he is present, special. But now I have a recent track stuck in my head (and headphones). Light the Torch - Become the Martyr.

3. Strange. Hmm. Well, here the option is either relatively old, or not as much. For those who love avant-garde metal. Zeal and Ardor - Don't you dare.
If the classic (strange and very conventional) - Emilie Autumn. For example, Dead is the new Alive.

And by the way. Apocalyptica released their version of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5.

P. S.
IMG_20220715_123416_182.jpg

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #29,725 of 88,548
1.- Opeth - Ghost of Perdition

2.- My Sleeping Karma - Prema

3.- Friends of Hell - Into my Coffin

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #29,726 of 88,548
Do many of you use your IEM's consistently on a desktop rig and if so what are you using for amplification? I find IEM's great for long days working from home. They are comfortable, light weight, and isolate me from dogs, kids, household guests, and other such distractions. My chain today is as follows, Roon > M1 Mac mini > Audioquest Jitterbug >Wywires Silver USB > Schiit Yggdrasil OG > WyWires Silver XLR Interconnect > Singxer SA-1 > Aroma Audio Thunder. Power conditioned by medical grade isolation transformer.

I bought the Singxer SA-1 for it's versatilty, but as I am using almost exlusively IEM's through it as my over ear time when it's quiet is mostly dedicated to my RAAL Requisite SR1a. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for great desktop amps for IEMs?
I don't because I usually listen to full sized headphones on my desktop system. I am much more likely to listen to full sized headphones on my portable rig than vice-versa.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #29,727 of 88,548

Given how it's going. It will be interesting to see if we have any track that gets 2 votes. I have 3500 tracks in my library. Even if someone had the exact same musical taste as me, the probability that they would pick the same songs are very low.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #29,728 of 88,548
only 4 pin xlr to my amp, no iem. Got 2500 albums, 16500 songs by 110 artists fer f sakes

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #29,729 of 88,548
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 15.31.45.png

:scream:

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #29,730 of 88,548
The Poly is significantly better in Sound Quality relative to USB. It was a PINA to set up. It was worth the effort.
That didn't match my experience. I heard no perceivable difference. And the poly still sends it's audio to the mojo via USB, so as far as I understand it should really be the same as any other USB source unless the poly itself is doing some other upscaling or processing to the signal before sending it over, which it shouldn't. Bit perfect over USB should be the same from any source, right?

When it was originally being marketed and talked up on the forum, any sq talk was mainly related to reducing interference, but again at least for me, it introduced it's own separate interference.

I just thought another viewpoint should be introduced for anyone trying to make a decision on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back