The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 20, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #29,656 of 88,514
Wondering how it works as a compliment to Traillii, finding XE6 a great complimentary set. Interested in hearing comparisons. XE6 and Szalayi are very far apart in price, perhaps the Szalayi would take down the energy a little, and still dig deep. Besides the lows the ethereal highs I like in the sets I listen with.
W signature for me, except at night when I want Mids first and lows and highs subdued, Isabellae does that.

Could be Oriolus has made a trifecta, no other brand needed. Got your three. Morning Szalayi, afternoon Traillii, evening Isabellae, that would be how it could be for me.

I haven't heard Szalayi yet (and I still don't know how to say it)-- I should have it tomorrow or Friday. My secret hope is that it's sound is something akin to a Dorado 2020 and Supermoon mushed together.

Hi discord,

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Went for a coffee run at Tilt Coffee Bar (in Downtown, Los Angeles), on a sunny Tuesday morning (7/19).
TiltCoffee-ColdBrewCoffee.jpg
Cold brew coffee, with mild lingering fruit notes of fermented cherry ending in a smooth tart finish (behind Tilt Coffee Bar, in Downtown, Los Angeles, California, 7/19). The taste reminded me of a refreshing cold fermented radish broth from dong chi mi guksu (Korean cold noodle soup). =)

Your posts are always a pleasure to read-- a full spectrum presentation for the senses.

Moving on to Supermoon. There’s something I find a little unique in the way Supermoon (ciem) presents its sound, with an engaging dynamic performance. It’s like a wide band of sounds rushing towards & past you and moving up-close across the whole front stage with bodied heft, airiness and speed in a fairly linear but spacious way.

I agree that it's very unique. For me what sets it apart is its coherence and resolution. Everything in the sonic presentation has it's own clearly defined space and manifests as part of a unity...2 months in and it still blows my mind every time I listen to it.

To get the most out of Supermoon, I find it needs some extra power to sound its best (near 1 watt or more). A transportable dap with fairly high power output, or a desktop amp/dac with high power output at low impedance (in low gain/balanced) can get Supermoon to scale up more in dynamics, imaging and soundstage.

This is interesting I don't find it particularly power hungry-- my SR25ii is my main source in the summer and it drives Supermoon just fine. M9 is a step up to be sure but the lesser-powered AK leaves nothing to be desired.

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #29,658 of 88,514
Andrew told me that he ran out Szalyi over the weekend, but more arriving this week. They must be selling like hot cakes due to manufacturer's reputation and somewhat reasonable price.

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #29,659 of 88,514
Did my usual 'have a quick listen' before packing it up for classifieds... IE900 has to stay - an IEM that is ultra comfortable and portable, great isolation, fantastic battery and not compromising on SQ while on the go. I used to travel a lot for work prior to covid and while it hasn't recommenced as yet, it likely will soon. I can't think of a better travel solution for my needs than ZX300 and IE900... ZX300 already travelled many miles with me prior to covid.

I did manage to list ZEN PRO and Penon Vortex however... very reluctantly :)

20220720_132401.jpg
I still ponder why I sold mine, but truth be told, I don't travel with them (or any wired IEMs), and since I have Z1R at home they'd be rarely used. I may have an IE 600 en route for review, so maybe they'll serve the purpose for 'relatively inexpensive' out-and-about wired sound.

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #29,660 of 88,514
Hopefully I’ll have mine early august. They’re supposed to ship at the end of the month and I was lucky enough to get in the first batch. I have high but reasonable expectations for this set.

According to their website, ships from UK?

I signed up for US tour to take a listen, but I think it was delayed since I didn't hear any updates since June. Curious to hear it as well, and would like to read other reviews, especially knowing that some of the reviewers involved are not too keen to anything over $2k :wink: 4.8k GBP is $5.7k USD

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #29,661 of 88,514
Andrew told me that he ran out Szalyi over the weekend, but more arriving this week. They must be selling like hot cakes due to manufacturer's reputation and somewhat reasonable price.
Hah yea that was me, ordered the last one. I think you combine the things you mention with an interesting and seemingly unique driver config, along with some early positive impressions and it definitely makes for an iem that will likely be desired and sell fairly well around these circles here. Certainly piqued my interest and will likely be my only major iem purchase of the year.

Though who knows just how many units he actually had.

Either way I'm excited to hear it, just hoping my ears get along with the shells, they look a bit... Chonky

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #29,662 of 88,514

I signed up for US tour to take a listen, but I think it was delayed since I didn't hear any updates since June. Curious to hear it as well, and would like to read other reviews, especially knowing that some of the reviewers involved are not too keen to anything over $2k :wink: 4.8k GBP is $5.7k USD
At that price it'll either take this thread by storm, or end up a storm in a teacup. 😁

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #29,663 of 88,514

Mine should be coming direct from Subtonic as they don’t have a USA dealer yet (?)

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #29,665 of 88,514

I thought singapore since they’re from there. Their website reads like the storm is the one and only be all and end all iem they’re gonna make

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #29,666 of 88,514
At that price it'll either take this thread by storm, or end up a storm in a teacup. 😁
I am not that interested in it. @aaf evo will be the canary in the coal mine. I hope his review is “I like it, but ….”

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #29,667 of 88,514
I bought this Miter case a while ago but not used it much - as Szalayi does not come with a case, it has now found an appropriate nest to rest in... perfect.

20220720_170558.jpg

20220720_170545.jpg

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #29,668 of 88,514
I bought this Miter case a while ago but not used it much - as Szalayi does not come with a case, it has now found an appropriate nest to rest in... perfect.

She’s a keeper then?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #29,669 of 88,514
Listed traillii for sale last week but just couldn’t do it and pulled the listing.

Today I took orphy off jewel and put it back on bird and…wow, it’s good. Nearly-flawless to me.

I’ve since sold FT non-shielded, and will be demoing FT shielded (to see if it’s closer-sounding to Orpheus,) and August Fun, along with n8ii.

Custom xe6 lands tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how its arrival further shakes things up.

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #29,670 of 88,514
Listed traillii for sale last week but just couldn’t do it and pulled the listing.

Today I took orphy off jewel and put it back on bird and…wow, it’s good. Nearly-flawless to me.

I’ve since sold FT non-shielded, and will be demoing FT shielded (to see if it’s closer-sounding to Orpheus,) and August Fun, along with n8ii.

Custom xe6 lands tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how its arrival further shakes things up.
Really interested in your A/B test of Orpheus vs First Time Shielding. I demoed the Orpheus at CanJam Chicago. I liked it, but not enough to buy. Later, I bought a First Times Shielding and it reminded me of the Orpheus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back