The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 18, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #29,506 of 89,422
However, only the version with 3 tips of 3 different sizes (L-M-S) is available on Amazon.

I bought the three pack. Lucky for me I usually need a S for one ear and a M for the other…

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #29,507 of 89,422
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 9.59.47 AM.png

Yolo!

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #29,508 of 89,422
Jul 18, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #29,509 of 89,422
Quiet Sunday evening here in Vancouver. Unwinding with some Henny & Tiesto, jotting down notes for my long term XE6 video review. I'm glad that I held off from releasing what I had because I have made several revisions. Thought I would share some thoughts.

Before I get into music genres, I am stoked that I found my ideal carrying case. This idea has lived in my mind since its first iteration. Its funny how something relatively trivial can do that. The best thing about IEMs is the ability to take it anywhere. The amighty Traillii deserves a worthy case. And the Luxe is certainly worthy.

At first glance, I wasn't 100% sold on the colourway. The green moss patina is starting to "grow" on me now. Black does all occasions but the aged olive green gives it some character. When unbuckling the Luxe, it makes a very satisfying "clicking" sound as if you're part of a super-secret audiophile mafia on a mission. 😂 At a future Canjam, I can imagine a future scenario where @HiFiHawaii808 gets pulled aside by TSA.

Airport security: "Sir, what is in this briefcase?". Like Neo from the Matrix, squinting like Clint Eastwood his answer:
"...IEMs.. The best kind money can buy. Now check the other 3 briefcases".

With all this talk about Metal, I've gone back and listened to some of my favourite artists. Admittedly, I wouldn't call myself a "metal" purist. For long term listening, I lean towards Metalcore such as Linkin Park, Bullet For My Valentine and Killswitch Engage. There is a pattern here. I do majority of my listening when I am either being physically active or being productive (attempting to be). This tends to fall under very specific emotions: melancholy music to re-inforce that, epic soundtracks to elevate my mood, avant guarde EDM to push me to my next rep at the gym. This IEM does that with flying colours.

Allow me to pause a bit though because its complicated. This doesn't mean that the XE6 can't do relaxing, softer, slower music. It can. What it does do is assert its bass dominent, larger than live personality into the music you are listening to. This is not as much of an all rounder as the U12T. Depending on the listeners preferences, this might make or break it.

An example is Hauser Air on a G String.

A/Bing from the Trailli to the XE6 in camera terms is like going from a 4 aperature to a 1.4. With the Trallii you visualize the individual objects in the frame concurrently. On the XE6, there is an audible blurry "bokeh" of bass reverb that surrounds the focus object. It reminds me of the ambiant music at a bar with nights out with friends. You are living in the moment. I am enamored by how much of that effect it has compared to other remarkable IEMs that I have listened to.

Some of my fav genres:

1. Movie soundtracks (100%) - I like this equally as much as the Traillii. It's a matter of choosing the venue. Do I want to go the Opera (Traillii) or the club (XE6)?

2. EDM (100%) - The XE6 can do detail no doubt about that. A lot of these tracks have catchy backround beats. Combined with its dynamics (which I find to be better than the Traillii) the XE6 makes me feel like I am at a live venue. You can say it has a realistic timbre because it replicates untreated rooms acoustically.

An example is Tiestos "The Motto".

3) Pop / Jazz (90%). The pop music that I listen to share similar qualities to EDM that emphasizes grooves with minimal lyrics. I like what I hear from Michael Jackson, Madonna, Lady Gaga (Bad Romance on it is an EXPERIENCE). For some of the faster, talent show case type of stuff I prefer the Bird because I get the full untainted resolution.

4. R&B (85%) - Again R&B has an emphasis on beats. I.E. backing track on "Tupac All Eyez on me" gets my feet tapping. I prefer the faster more lyrical story based songs on the Traillii because of its supreme layering and separation. After getting used to the silver modded XE6 though sometimes I do long for an in between IEM.

5. Metalcore (85%) -This is my second most listened genre on the XE6. Bands like Celldweller, Blue Stahli, Bullet for my Valentine and Killswitch Engage takes you on a fun journey. Because of its forgiving dark tuning I rarely get ear fatigue like I do with the Trailli.

An example is this lying world by Unearth. Because of its big boy dynamics the break downs are super satisfying.

For faster busier Metal bands like Dragonforce I prefer the Traillii. With its black backround, instrument separation and resolution, it catches every guitar note accurately. On the XE6, my mind has to actively work to find the information.

The fun part is that there are many ways to skin this. I found for me personally classical, singer song writer music did not work because I tend to assess the musicians talent (timbre and accurate reproduction)

First @monduvo, then this? You guys kill me with these posts.

Airport security: "Sir, what is in this briefcase?". Like Neo from the Matrix, squinting like Clint Eastwood his answer:
"...IEMs.. The best kind money can buy. Now check the other 3 briefcases".

Heck, I don't even need to like or want to know anything about the XE6 or Traillii to enjoy this. Thanks for the entertainment. 👏👏

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #29,510 of 89,422
What are you guys listening to tonight?? I am kind of obsessed with the BQEYZ Topaz. Working on its review, I have been giving some time to the Topaz(while my IE600 and M7 are gone to a friend for audition). Kind of loving it with the HiBy R5 Gen 2(Class A amp mode). Could listen to this setup for hours. Even used it during gym today.
One con I have found with the Topaz so far, it's with the stock ear tips. The fit isn't the best also isolation is kind of average with the stock tips. I am using the KBEAR Believe stock tips, and both the fit and the isolation are greatly improved.

topaz-1.jpg

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #29,511 of 89,422
Congrats for the Szalayi, @Ruprit and @Scuba Devils .

It's my target since I knew it was coming out a while ago, as the Isabellae is my favorite IEM of all the ones I've tried, and I love the Timeless and S12 (with planar driver).

However, the first impressions of @Scuba Devils do not seem very surprising. Above all, I have remained that the first minutes it was too warm and did not seem very clear to him and they lacked resolution, that makes me back because in my case when that has happened to me, the mental burn in has never fixed it.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #29,512 of 89,422
I actually think you'll prefer to TZ700 due to the mids, more lush/emotive on Szalayi. Congrats!

Thanks! TZ700 is a few hundred (CAD) more and I've never really got on with bullet style IEMs. Plus I'm fixated on planars right now and my curiosity is burning to hear what a planar based hybrid sounds like-- and the ever present temptation of Oriolus' tuning is definitely a factor.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #29,513 of 89,422
Thanks for sharing this album, buddy. Instant purchase for me. My day is made.
Same… her voice is just gorgeous

No wincing when listening to Myrkur.

Another new artist added to my list! Love her voice! This album is just amazing!

Campfire Pathfinder with A&K anyone? Looks really interesting.

https://headphonebar.com/products/astell-kern-pathfinder-hybrid-iem
Headfoneshop will be carrying them too. I’m excited to try them out. Not as exciting as the Trifecta but still exciting nonetheless 😂

Random silly question, but would you guys ever use an IEM and DAP while doing the dishes (dad life)? If so, what combo would you use?
In the day time I just use my speakers when doing the chores and when I cook. But in the nighttime it’s my DP-X1 and the Wraith. It depends on my mood which IEM/DAP combo I go for.

That brings me to the question - How many people here use a TWS IEM that they're fine with replacing a good wired combo for the OTG use and convenience? If you do, which one's your favourite? And who all still prefer carrying and using the favourite wired combo even OTG?
So far, in terms of just the “sound” it’s the ZE3000. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles the other TWS IEMs out there but my goodness is it tuned well. There’s also the new ZE2000 that’s apparently more relaxed in tuning and the upcoming ZE8000 TWS flagship. So I have my ears open for those as well.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #29,514 of 89,422
I've only had about one 90 minutes total now with Szalayi but I'll share some early impressions... subject to change with burn-in, mental adjustment and further tip rolling. I've left them running outside of use so for burn-in believers, there's about 7 hours on the clock.

All listening so far via P6K, I'll switch to the M9 later.

20220718_161833.jpg

First of all, the shells are on the chonky side - likewise a wide/stumpy nozzle, similar to Traillii or Isabellae and makes for a bit of effort when changing tips. I went for the large stock tips first but not only were they too big/uncomfortable, but the initial bass level was too much for me. I tried a couple of others in my collection, and then reverted to medium stock - a good seal and improved (less!) bass. While large, they are light and very smooth to touch and as such, comfortable once the right tip is selected.

20220718_161309.jpg

I really like the cable, nice soft braided style with no microphonics. It has the same 4.4mm termination from memory as Isabellae. It wraps up well without any tangle. The 2-pin slot into recessed inputs on the shells.

20220718_162917.jpg

From a sound quality perspective, the Oriolus DNA (at least Traillii and Isabellae in terms of what I've owned) is very evident - smooth, warm, emotive, and engaging signature.

Lows - the sub bass extends to excellent depths, and mid bass has a nice solid impact. Excellent distinction between the two, and sub tends to reach out left/right giving an excellent sense of stage while allowing room for mid bass impact.

Mids - nice clarity with good space between instruments. Quite lush/emotive and captivating as noted above and I'm not sensing any bass bleed or congestion. Timbre is very good, I've had shivers for a few tracks with nice strings and both male/female vocals.

Highs - treble is crisp and certainly makes its presence felt but without being harsh - at least not in any test track so far, of which I've thrown a few curveballs without issue. For example, drum and bass is a good test due to lots of fast snares, cymbals etc - no problem for Szalayi and in fact sounded excellent, the drivers well able to keep up with the fast pace.

Technicalities - there is a decent sized soundstage which the more I listen, seems to be growing in size - the importance of brain burn-in! It extends to good width, and height but maybe not so much in depth. Imaging and layering are well rendered in the stage, with a very good sense of instrument positioning - I wouldn't say mind-blowing, but certainly sufficient. It is a cohesive presentation too, I'm not finding myself questioning where frequencies or instruments reside, everything seems in the right place.

20220718_153338.jpg

As noted, these are early impressions and I haven't really formed a view on what genres they best suit - I've tried ambient, vocals, classical, house, rock, and trance and tbh, all sound fantastic but I know from experience with others, I'll likely find where Szalayi is best suited for my library - I think I need 2-4 weeks in reality to properly form that assessment. Also, I was actually disappointed on first listen earlier - felt a bit too warm and lacking clarity and detail... a few hours on the clock and my head is adjusting - I'm actually very satisfied now with the frequency balance and detail retrieval - I think I'll have to finally accept burn-in is real in various ways, I've had the experience too many times! - Next is to be fully convinced of the impact cables can have...

Hope that's useful, conscious I'm one of the first batch of owners!

Oh and thanks to Andrew in Musicteck for the consistently fast delivery and great customer service!
I've been listening to ORIOLUS SZALAY for about half an hour. Now ...... removed the voices that seem slightly backward, and a slightly not very open sound (elements that can vary positively with the running in), tell me what defects you find, because in my opinion it is a cross between Isabellae and Traillii (Una Trailli version "Ugly Duckling"), but otherwise I find it wonderful.
I have an idea that with a silver cable it can smooth out some "apparent" limits. Do you share or not?

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #29,515 of 89,422

It's my target since I knew it was coming out a while ago, as the Isabellae is my favorite IEM of all the ones I've tried, and I love the Timeless and S12 (with planar driver).

However, the first impressions of @Scuba Devils do not seem very surprising. Above all, I have remained that the first minutes it was too warm and did not seem very clear to him and they lacked resolution, that makes me back because in my case when that has happened to me, the mental burn in has never fixed it.
...................." because in my opinion it is a cross between Isabellae and Traillii (Una Trailli version "Ugly Duckling"), but otherwise I find it wonderful "........................

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #29,516 of 89,422
However, only the version with 3 tips of 3 different sizes (L-M-S) is available on Amazon.

I guess that's the only option for W1 model, in a set with 3 different sizes. Maybe they want people to try it since sizes are a bit bigger than their usual CP series eartips? I will ping them with a feedback.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #29,517 of 89,422
I guess that's the only option for W1 model, in a set with 3 different sizes. Maybe they want people to try it since sizes are a bit bigger than their usual CP series eartips? I will ping them with a feedback.
I would ONLY need their size L. I'll write them an email .....
(PS: Thanks AS ALWAYS ..... I read your impressions about Szalayi and bought it. It arrived today).

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #29,518 of 89,422
Jul 18, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #29,519 of 89,422
...................." because in my opinion it is a cross between Isabellae and Traillii (Una Trailli version "Ugly Duckling"), but otherwise I find it wonderful "........................
Different opinions for now. Anyway, I had to wait to buy it, so I'll see what else is said about them.

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #29,520 of 89,422

I'm not finding an issue at all now with clarity - it may have been, in fact was most likely the large tips which were stuffed in my ears! And indeed allowing for the shift in SQ from what I was listening to before, the A4000.

I'm listening now again on M9 and I must say, I'm loving Szalayi - it ticks all the boxes for me. The balance of a smooth, lush signature with an abundance of detail and deep sub is perfect for my listening preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back