The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #21,481 of 88,398
Mine is universal so it’ll be more straight forward. I think yours had some logistic issue as well since STL customs is done by his staff in China. Due to fit issues physical impressions is done by Lee himself. So maybe in btw that time it took time to coordinate?
I’m okay if mine takes over a month, but won’t be happy if it goes over 2 months 😅

Ah I just assumed you got a CIEM. Yeah the universal turnaround is faster. He does get the 3D prints done in China so that added to the time, but it was after the 3 week mark had passed before he even started with that.

Just be patient :) As you know, it’s worth the wait.

A50B93BC-4961-4003-8D05-882FEAD85E63.jpeg

In ears as we speak. :) 🎶

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #21,482 of 88,398
Don’t wanna be a negative nancy but I was told 2-3 weeks, it took almost 4 months :D

6 weeks alone just to get the dummy moulds from my STL files which didn’t fit, so I had to get impressions done and send them to him. After all was finished it was between 3-4 months. Paid mid October and received mid/late January.
Was this a unique situation or are physical impressions generally better than STL files? Going to get my jewel reshelled and was going to see if I could get STL files from EE, but could just get new impressions as that doesn't take much effort (just not 0 effort like STL files would be).

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #21,483 of 88,398
Was this a unique situation or are physical impressions generally better than STL files? Going to get my jewel reshelled and was going to see if I could get STL files from EE, but could just get new impressions as that doesn't take much effort (just not 0 effort like STL files would be).

It was a unique situation, I've used those exact STL files for all of my CIEMs and they fit great. The moulds he sent me were quite thin in the canals so the isolation wasn't there.

I got my Jewel done from the same STL files I sent to Elysian, and the same STL files that all my FiR's and A12t are made from.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #21,484 of 88,398
Don’t wanna be a negative nancy but I was told 2-3 weeks, it took almost 4 months :D

6 weeks alone just to get the dummy moulds from my STL files which didn’t fit, so I had to get impressions done and send them to him. After all was finished it was between 3-4 months. Paid mid October and received mid/late January.
Similar situation for me. I asked Mr. Lee for a demo unit. He said he would send it to me in a week. It took 3 months.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #21,485 of 88,398

Mr. Lee told me 4 weeks but it has been 6 long weeks so far. It got delayed because of CanJam SG and he only received the Liquid Links cable a few days ago. It will be shipped tomorrow. Can't wait.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #21,486 of 88,398
What's on your radar, Easter Sunday edition?

For me: I'm dying to hear the Elysian IEMs, as remote as that may seem.
Campfire's impending April 29th announcement has me very interested.
I'll be closely following impressions of that new MEZE single DD.
I’m with you on the Elysian IEMs and Meze’s Advar. I didn’t know Campfire had something coming up too!

As for the other IEMs in my “To Hear List”
FitEar Titan/DC/DC Ti are a must hear for me as a huge FitEar fan.
Jewel, Traillii, FiR Frontier Line-up, VE EXT & PHöNIX, Empire’s and Final’s new prototypes 😏, IE600, Thummim, Duo, Trio, Mason FS, my god there’s a lot 😂 and finally an IEM from my motherland the Flipears Aurora. I’m sure there’s a lot more but those ones are what I’m really excited to hear.

Considering how expensive all our gears are, i'm curious if any of you bought insurance for your stuffs like me?
I bought coverage for around $18k sum insured for all my stuffs, from DSLR, laptop, smartphone, even backpacks to my IEMs & DAPs :sweat_smile:
I’ve never insured my IEMs but my studio equipment has been insured for a while. I probably should include them 😂

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #21,487 of 88,398
Yeah my bad...it's a headphone amp. I'd love to plug my EXT into one of those lol.
Once you hear it with a great headphone, you won’t want to plug your IEMs into it. It’s a nice novelty at first, but it wears off pretty quickly because you run into a use case mismatch.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #21,488 of 88,398
Ah I just assumed you got a CIEM. Yeah the universal turnaround is faster. He does get the 3D prints done in China so that added to the time, but it was after the 3 week mark had passed before he even started with that.

Just be patient :) As you know, it’s worth the wait.

A50B93BC-4961-4003-8D05-882FEAD85E63.jpeg

In ears as we speak. :) 🎶

Unfortunately i had problems with custom fitting 90% of the time so I’ll opt for universal this time round. Not to mention custom version is more expensive. But I do plan to change the faceplate on 1 side to a wooden design to make it less plain 😂
My only issue now with the Annihilator is the driver flex and I’m not a fan of the cable..

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #21,489 of 88,398
Unfortunately i had problems with custom fitting 90% of the time so I’ll opt for universal this time round. Not to mention custom version is more expensive. But I do plan to change the faceplate on 1 side to a wooden design to make it less plain 😂
My only issue now with the Annihilator is the driver flex and I’m not a fan of the cable..

You shouldn’t be getting driver flex on Annihilator, the demo unit you used may have been slightly messed up if there was driver flex. Lee prides himself on no driver flex in his IEMs so I don’t think that’ll be an issue with your universal.

Yeah, the Martini is thick.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #21,490 of 88,398
This thread moves so fast. :D

Got myself a new toy this weekend. So far I like the tuning, and the hardware is significantly faster and improved over the previous generation of iBasso DAPs (220/200/160). I havent tried the 300 yet, but Im pretty happy thus far with this 240. Using the Amp8 Mk2 amp now with it instead of the stock Amp1 mk3.

P1050456.JPG

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #21,491 of 88,398
I’m with you on the Elysian IEMs and Meze’s Advar. I didn’t know Campfire had something coming up too!

As for the other IEMs in my “To Hear List”
FitEar Titan/DC/DC Ti are a must hear for me as a huge FitEar fan.
Jewel, Traillii, FiR Frontier Line-up, VE EXT & PHöNIX, Empire’s and Final’s new prototypes 😏, IE600, Thummim, Duo, Trio, Mason FS, my god there’s a lot 😂 and finally an IEM from my motherland the Flipears Aurora. I’m sure there’s a lot more but those ones are what I’m really excited to hear.

I’ve never insured my IEMs but my studio equipment has been insured for a while. I probably should include them 😂
I remember almost getting the 335DW and the Monet17 back in the day, but they were a bit too expensive for what I felt they offered technically. The Air 2, EST and Titan were just at the threshold for me when I tried them in Japan, though I could see how fans of “Eastern tunings” (for lack of a better term) could easily see past that. I guess you could call FitEar a Japanese VE to a degree, where they charge a bit more for that sense of prestige, and their driver-per-dollar ratios are higher than usual.

Of their line-up that I’ve personally tried, the 334 is the one I’d be willing to forgive its lack of raw resolution for (by today’s standards), simply for its musical tone. In fact, its washier sound is what gives it its smooth warmth.

I remember loving the FlipEars Ace when I tried it in Japan as well. I was cynically half-expecting an artificially heightened price for the Aurora, once I saw they put an LCD screen in its packaging. :D To be fair to them, it’s not too bad given the driver count. Of course, whether or not it performs to that level remains to be seen (or heard).

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #21,492 of 88,398
It’s good for us to go back and relisten to the legacy IEMs. As I mentioned, I have been listening to Legend X all day and it is really great with M9. The M9 really brings the Uber elevated bass under control. And, the upper mids and treble are nothing close to fatiguing so it’s easy to listen to this set up for hours and hours at a time. With Customs, you get much better noise isolation, too, to screen out the airplane noise.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #21,493 of 88,398

Got myself a new toy this weekend. So far I like the tuning, and the hardware is significantly faster and improved over the previous generation of iBasso DAPs (220/200/160). I havent tried the 300 yet, but Im pretty happy thus far with this 240. Using the Amp8 Mk2 amp now with it instead of the stock Amp1 mk3.

Love the color. I'd be reluctant to put a case on for that reason.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #21,494 of 88,398

P1050456.JPG

It's a great dap with that amp combo, and excellent price/performance ratio!

Btw, just curious, any updates about STORM, are you testing it now or on the list of reviewers? Not sure about their strategy of who will be allowed to review it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back