The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 9, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #6,091 of 87,577
Love my Timeless. DD drivers and Planar headphones both benefit from 100-150 hours of break in. Broke mine in for a week. It ain't TOTL, but its so musical!!
I know. But they sound great already. I am just going to listen to them. Can't put it aside now. Lol

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #6,092 of 87,577
DD crazed IEM folks!!!!! New Penon Serial released. 3DD drivers 6, 8, 10 mm. On our HeadFi front page.
Would you believe $300??? AND your choice of cable termination.
Looks to me to be a Rockwell special.
For those not familiar with Penon, they are fast shippers and use DHL. That is about the best you can get from China!
I happen to be receiving this one tomorrow :)
Yes Penon is great.

Impressions coming soon

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #6,093 of 87,577
I happen to be receiving this one tomorrow :)
Yes Penon is great.

Impressions coming soon

Nice can't wait for your thoughts. Compared to Linsoul Penon IEMs don't get nearly enough exposure given how consistently good they are. And incidentally this is exactly why the only way out of this hobby is to just walk away from the forums to avoid temptation. Case in point I'm quite curious about this IEM myself-- if it amounts to a warmer 3DT I'll probably jump right on it.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #6,094 of 87,577
Rockwell! Davidmollier! Scuba devils! Drftr! Mehran! Claud! All the DD addicts hwre, get yourselves a IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red please! Thank me later! Just get it you Dynamic Dudes!!!!!

I'm sorry, I'm a bit drunk after 2 cans of carlsberg elephant strong pardon my exuberant behaviours... Just wanna get it off my chest!

Get an SOR for music's darie dammit!!
Hmm... My mom taught me only drunks and children speak the truth...

But she wasn't drunk when she told me, so what should I make out of this??

drftr

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #6,095 of 87,577
But she wasn't drunk when she told me, so what should I make out of this??
Isn't it obvious? She was a child. Duh.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #6,098 of 87,577
I’ve gone back to something I bought many years ago. Final e5000 on the dx300max is a nice listen. I’m still considering the final a8000

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #6,099 of 87,577
Since some lf you are looking for Monarch MkII write-ups I thought it was worth sharing the take of this member:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ix-balanced-armature-iem.960580/post-16701549

drftr

"Its an excellent tool in the sound studio for recording and mixing."

Honestly this is consistent with the tastes & ideals of the crowd I see hyping it and one of the reasons I've decided it's probably not for me.

In other news I'm about to plunge on a Timeless.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #6,100 of 87,577
Nice can't wait for your thoughts. Compared to Linsoul Penon IEMs don't get nearly enough exposure given how consistently good they are. And incidentally this is exactly why the only way out of this hobby is to just walk away from the forums to avoid temptation. Case in point I'm quite curious about this IEM myself-- if it amounts to a warmer 3DT I'll probably jump right on it.
Will share of course :)

Yes Penon has done tremendously great work tuning the Orb, the Globe and Volt. And contrary to ThieAudio they do customs :p

I have done a 6 hours session with Volt last night out of M17 : stunning IEM, with a distinctive signature... one of the very best value for money I ever got and also one of the top 5 listening time of my collection which speaks volumes...

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #6,101 of 87,577

Honestly this is consistent with the tastes & ideals of the crowd I see hyping it and one of the reasons I've decided it's probably not for me.

Hence the reason I shared it :wink: There's many different hype trains. Just make sure you jump on the right one, like the Timeless train.

drftr

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #6,102 of 87,577
Scuba
IEMs are way cheaper than cans for the most part. I have gone down that rabbit hole and bought the right equipment to the point I felt I was at endgame. DNA Stratus amp, NOS and Acme Supreme tubes, Focal Utopia, Sennheiser HD 800, 800S, 600,650, 660S, ZMF Verite and Eikon Burl , Norne headphone cables, WyWire ICs and power cables . Running Springs power conditioner, etc. I still have my Cary/Merlin 2 ch. stereo system too. You probably wonder why I have not sold some of it off. Long ago, I found that I would just replace them later since once an audio fool, always one.
Same experience here I hand 2000/2500$ cans and I prefer cheaper IEMs but it’s a different listening experience also😉

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #6,103 of 87,577
The Cayin RU6 to Zen Pro is fantastic. The R2R DAC takes some of the metallic hardness out of timbre of the Zen Pro. Overall the sound is more natural/organic than with my AKM4497 based source, which already was relatively un-digital sounding for a DS source. You lose a bit of detail but gain micro dynamics/texture, more natural space or air and a wider "timbral palette" e.g. wood instruments sound more like wood, voice like... vocal chords, brass like metal, etc. DS sounds like say 8 bit color at really high resolution compared to the R2Rs 24 bit color at slightly lower resolution. To me, the DD vs BA comparison is similar to the R2R vs DS one and I expect preferences are correlated. Overall, this pairing is probably the least digital sounding portable setup I've heard, and that is ultimately what I'm after.

A few other notes. I don't usually reflexively prefer balanced, but with the RU6 to Zen Pro, you need balanced power to bring out the bass. Also, I notice a difference in sound/power based on source, with my phone sounding a bit limp compared to my laptop. My Shanling Q1 makes a great transport though, providing more power than my phone.

Finally, back the Zen Pro. I find they are pretty picky about tips. The stem looks pretty long, but the tips slide down so the fit is actually shallow. You (I) need longer tips to get proper seal and better bass. I'm having best results with Spinfit C145s

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #6,104 of 87,577

Love to hear what you think of the Timeless. I'm definitely hooked.
Btw they come with some of the best stock tips I've seen. I believe these are Accoustune tips or knockoffs . Either way Great comfort and sound.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #6,105 of 87,577
Rockwell! Davidmollier! Scuba devils! Drftr! Mehran! Claud! All the DD addicts hwre, get yourselves a IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red please! Thank me later! Just get it you Dynamic Dudes!!!!!

I'm sorry, I'm a bit drunk after 2 cans of carlsberg elephant strong pardon my exuberant behaviours... Just wanna get it off my chest!

Get an SOR for music's darie dammit!!
I had R1 zenith, R2 Aten, RAH, Opus Mia and PB2 but no one has coherency and good imaging, also timbre isn’t real but for sure Aten driver are for basshead even if I preferred many other IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back