The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #6,121 of 88,387
Been thinking about Cayin RU6. It is a real change of pace and I would like to hear one . Price is right, but I do not have a lot of memory on my iPhone. What the hell, its a nice teck toy. I ordered one , orange case and iPhone cord.
I got one this week. It is very good. It has a nice natural and balanced sound.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #6,122 of 88,387
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #6,123 of 88,387
I got one this week. It is very good. It has a nice natural and balanced sound.

Sigh...all aboard! lol

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 1.40.06 PM.png

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #6,124 of 88,387
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #6,125 of 88,387
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #6,126 of 88,387
Musicteck has the timeless?!?

No sorry should have been more clear-- that's the Cayin RU6. Timeless wouldn't be delivered until Mid-January and honestly I should sell off a couple IEMs before buying any more.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #6,127 of 88,387
No sorry should have been more clear-- that's the Cayin RU6. Timeless wouldn't be delivered until Mid-January and honestly I should sell off a couple IEMs before buying any more.
Which ones go?

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #6,128 of 88,387
What!? Haha! Wasn’t he just praising them today?

I dunno but this post is a month old. I think he mentioned later he liked the Splash of Gold more so only kept that one (I bought the SOR from him on eBay).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #6,129 of 88,387
Which ones go?

Of my IEMs Honeydew and Reborn will probably be listed and given what I've read about the Kato being so similar to the Zen Pro I probably won't keep it around (the Kato) very long once I receive it. Of my sources I might list the n3Pro as the SR25ii better suits me as a smaller more portable source.

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #6,130 of 88,387
So I have spent a little while with Alambic Ears Mentawai and... it's pretty great but knowing Fred I knew it would be... his best work to date!

IMG_7043.jpg

So, first impressions of Mentawai after a couple of hours - I figure things are going to settle as the DD burn is - but still, I always value first impressions.
Those are from FiiO M17 in desktop mode so a pretty powerful and clean source.

If you remember my Mundaka review when I wrote "Think of Mundaka as a good excuse to satisfy your inner basshead without compromising your audiophile backbone" ?
Well, Mentawai takes this philosophy all the way to flagship level and I could write "Think of Mentawai as the flagship that will wow your audiophile aspirations while not forgetting to satisfy your inner basshead".

Mentawai features a highly engaging tuning like the Mundaka but with the technicalities of the more neutral Noosa. The stage is not the widest but stands out by its excellent height and depth, it's very balanced and more circle shaped than elliptical. Don't expect stadium like stage on the other hand, Mentawai features big, bold instruments size (yet separation is excellent) and as we'll see a tad forward midrange (especially in the vocal range) but for this kind of signature it's as good as it gets.

Bass are powerful consistent with the house sound of Alambic Ears. Like the Mundaka tis is a bass that commands your attention with a lot of power. As far as bass is concerned, the Mentawai means business! They slam with authority and give a spotlight to the bass line and in that sense it's a very rhythmic IEM deeply grounded with excellent sub bass. It does so with a snappy attack and a natural decay both granting a good sense of speed but also a realistic and very "tactile" feel with its rich textures. To me it's a bit faster and agile than the Mundaka making it even more versatile in its ability to handle all genres.

Mids is where Mentawai departs from the Mundaka : while it's also a full engaging midrange smooth and natural, it's also a more mature midrange (as it should). First, there is a tad more bite to instruments building on the lively nature on Mundaka. Second, Mentawai features significantly better separation. This shows on larger ensembles where imaging is greatly enhanced from Mundaka. Third, Mentawai - as a flagship should - has the ability to convey a lot more nuances with its 7 drivers and has a more accurate timbre to instruments although there is a clear warm hue to its mids it's more on the side of naturalness. This makes it overall more versatile and more suited to acoustic genres than the Mundaka.

Last but not least, the treble brings the same balance to its signature that the Mundaka did with its treble given its powerful thunderous bass but this is where it really gains its flagship status. 4 EST is state of the art setup these days and it clearly bring Mentawai the air, the resolution and imaging precision that I have come to expect but where the Mentawai shines is that it combines this qualities with an energetic lower treble that has excellent note weight. This clearly shows on piano notes where the weight and impact and a tad longer decay of notes is more akin to the best BA than pure EST and I suspect something is going on there with the BAs. For all their greatness even 4 EST setup don't reach the best BA in terms of note weight in lower treble. This has gotten better but not to the point of reaching this kind of lower treble. Note that energy and weight must not be confused with any treble hotness for there are no offending peaks in the Mentawai signature. Not that there was any in the Mundaka or Noosa either, but Fred clearly push both the upper mids and lower treble to more energetic brand.

Despite this very engaging brand of sound between the bass sheer power, tad forward mids with good bite and energetic lower treble the Mentawai remains smooth at all times. It won't be a relaxed listen though those babies command your attention!

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #6,132 of 88,387
I dunno but this post is a month old. I think he mentioned later he liked the Splash of Gold more so only kept that one (I bought the SOR from him on eBay).
Have you posted impressions of the SOR by chance?

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #6,133 of 88,387
Ohhh I thought you meant @Ace Bee sold his.

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #6,134 of 88,387
Slight update...the Zen Pro has made an impressive first impression...will it maintain this position...only time will tell.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 7.28.41 AM.png
Very unusual ranking. What is the broad theme here? Seems like Tonality and Emotional connection are the main criteria, but what does that actually mean to you? The rest are just secondary factors giving you different flavors.

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #6,135 of 88,387
Have you posted impressions of the SOR by chance?

Yes, very brief impressions in this thread. Not sure how much time they have as the are second hand but OTB I found the highlights to be the bass and the, some say holographic, imaging. I found the overall tonality to be quite unpleasant when coming from harman-tuned IEMs but was surprised at how quick I adapted to it and enjoyed it. As others have mentioned they are much better than earlier (and much more expensive) IMR offerings such as R1 Zenith, R2 Aten and RAH which I still have. Sometimes I think there are still is integrated piezos in the drivers. Not much more that I can say as I haven't listened to them since the RX10 arrived (and been wrestling with these since).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back