The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 9, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #6,107 of 88,378
Do you consider that the trade-off for the harder driver material to be able to cover more of the FR? Asking because most single DD IEMs seem to accept either a sub-bass roll-off or an early treble roll-off.

drftr

Or maybe stiff driver material to get high resolution? The highest resolution drivers I think are beryllium, which are known for having that metallic timbre.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #6,108 of 88,378
The Cayin RU6 to Zen Pro is fantastic. The R2R DAC takes some of the metallic hardness out of timbre of the Zen Pro. Overall the sound is more natural/organic than with my AKM4497 based source, which already was relatively un-digital sounding for a DS source. You lose a bit of detail but gain micro dynamics/texture, more natural space or air and a wider "timbral palette" e.g. wood instruments sound more like wood, voice like... vocal chords, brass like metal, etc. DS sounds like say 8 bit color at really high resolution compared to the R2Rs 24 bit color at slightly lower resolution. To me, the DD vs BA comparison is similar to the R2R vs DS one and I expect preferences are correlated. Overall, this pairing is probably the least digital sounding portable setup I've heard, and that is ultimately what I'm after.

A few other notes. I don't usually prefer balanced, but with the RU6 to Zen Pro, you need balanced power to bring out the bass. Also, I notice a difference in sound/power based on source, with my phone sounding a bit limp compared to my laptop. My Shanling Q1 makes a great transport though, providing more power than my phone.

Finally, back the Zen Pro. I find they are pretty picky about tips. The stem looks pretty long, but the tips slide down so the fit is actually shallow. You (I) need longer tips to get proper seal and better base. I'm having best results with Spinfit C145s

Very interesting. I've been meaning to try my n3Pro with the Zen Pro to see if it has a similar effect. That said I'm kind of enjoying the slight metallic edge of the Zen Pro because it stands in pleasant contrast to my Duo, Dorado & Isa which are all very warm leaning IEMs. Through the M8 the upper mids push the boundary every so slightly at times but on the whole it manages to stay well on the tolerable side for me. The Zen Pro has a very dynamic, balanced & technical sound and I'm quite enamoured with it so far. I may take a serious look at the RU6-- I wonder how much of the n6ii + R01 magic it's able to capture.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #6,109 of 88,378
Or maybe stiff driver material to get high resolution? The highest resolution drivers I think are beryllium, which are known for having that metallic timbre.
Yes that's what I meant. Beryllium would/should make possible that the IEM produces both enough bass and treble quantity, but it may come at the cost of timbre just because of that stiffness. It's probably why Dunu is waiting with the new Luna as they realize there's another nut to crack. Still it seems like the Zen Pro creates an interesting alternative to the other single DD sound signatures on the market and is a healthy compromise at that.

drftr

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #6,110 of 88,378
On the topic of R01, its incredible with Traillii. I had intended to try some buds but sidetracked to the bird...

@gLer - I do love this case, it has become the new home for both n6ii-Ti and buds! Purchased following your excellent review a few weeks ago.

20211209_194312.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 9, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #6,111 of 88,378
On the topic of R01, its incredible with Traillii. I had intended to try some buds but sidetracked to the bird...

@gLer - I do love this case, it has become the new home for both n6ii-Ti and buds! Purchased following your excellent review a few weeks ago.

20211209_194312.jpg
That case does look cool. Where did you get it from?

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #6,112 of 88,378
Very interesting. I've been meaning to try my n3Pro with the Zen Pro to see if it has a similar effect. That said I'm kind of enjoying the slight metallic edge of the Zen Pro because it stands in pleasant contrast to my Duo, Dorado & Isa which are all very warm leaning IEMs. Through the M8 the upper mids push the boundary every so slightly at times but on the whole it manages to stay well on the tolerable side for me. The Zen Pro has a very dynamic, balanced & technical sound and I'm quite enamoured with it so far. I may take a serious look at the RU6-- I wonder how much of the n6ii + R01 magic it's able to capture.

I had the N3Pro for a while. I loved the tube sound but I heard some kind of elevation and digital-ness in the upper mids that annoyed me after some time. I attributed to the DAC. The DAC also seemed overly smoothed over/textureless, the infamous AKM velvet sound.

I don't want to oversell the RU6. It's a 250 dollar device and doesn't have amazing resolution for its price point or anything. But it does have that R2R magic at 250 dollars in a small unpowered portable dongle. I find that awesome.

I've got my fingers crossed for the N3Pro^2, with R2R DAC and tubes, similarly small size and no more than modest price bump.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #6,114 of 88,378
Finally, back the Zen Pro. I find they are pretty picky about tips. The stem looks pretty long, but the tips slide down so the fit is actually shallow. You (I) need longer tips to get proper seal and better base. I'm having best results with Spinfit C145s
I use little ring spacers sometimes to force the tip to be further up to solve the issue you describe. I think they came with some spinfits, not sure, anyway they go around the nozzle first like little silicon washers and come in different thicknesses. The tip goes on after them and they effectively keep the tip from sliding back on sets where the nozzle is longer.

72BAC089-0174-4AD0-A00F-DB2E85E1EC59.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #6,115 of 88,378
I had R1 zenith, R2 Aten, RAH, Opus Mia and PB2 but no one has coherency and good imaging, also timbre isn’t real but for sure Aten driver are for basshead even if I preferred many other IEMs.
Believe me, I know. I had Opus Mia for a week. It's a bloated bassy mess. I swore myself that I'll never buy another IMR iem in my life.

However, this new CNT-ADLC drivers are something totally new and boasts a completely different sound. It's outstandingly clear and transparent with a healthy dose of bass. You can't go wrong with it, it's just $240! You won't regret buying it, I promise! Give it a go!

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #6,116 of 88,378
Been thinking about Cayin RU6. It is a real change of pace and I would like to hear one . Price is right, but I do not have a lot of memory on my iPhone. What the hell, its a nice teck toy. I ordered one , orange case and iPhone cord.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #6,117 of 88,378

20211209_194312.jpg
Miter cases are the bomb! I now have the large case. (like yours), the smaller case, case for my XM4 and have cases on the way for the Go Blu and Gryphon.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #6,118 of 88,378
Miter cases are the bomb! I now have the large case. (like yours), the smaller case, case for my XM4 and have cases on the way for the Go Blu and Gryphon.

Are the measurements for the smaller case the same as far as the DAP slot is concerned? I'm assuming they are and that my n6ii will fit. I'd like the small one just for n6ii and whatever couple of IEMs are on main rotation. I'll keep the bigger one then just for buds.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #6,120 of 88,378

Users who are viewing this thread

Back