The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #6,061 of 88,368
The scary part is that it still sounds really good and I start to wonder why I bother spending more than $100 on audio gear 😂
I ask myself that same question at least once a week. Truth is, this hobby is not about need, it's entirely about want. Remove the want and all you're left with is....'listening to music'. 😮

That's also why the easiest way out of the hobby is to find something else to satisfy the 'want' craving.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #6,062 of 88,368
I ask myself that same question at least once a week. Truth is, this hobby is not about need, it's entirely about want. Remove the want and all you're left with is....'listening to music'. 😮

That's also why the easiest way out of the hobby is to find something else to satisfy the 'want' craving.
lol best thing to do is move to earbuds. They are way cheaper!

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #6,063 of 88,368
Love buds and definitely plan more fun with them next year.

I'd like to explore a desktop amp solution too, most likely tube.

Cans grabbing my attention a bit also - seriously tempted by the Audio Technica WP900... not sure I want that rabbit hole though.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #6,064 of 88,368

Cans grabbing my attention a bit also - seriously tempted by the Audio Technica WP900... not sure I want that rabbit hole though.
Oh dear Lord, you have the bug. Those are the two rabbit holes I started my journey down. Barely survived the experience, but had great fun prioritising it over everything else in life that I 'had to do'. Pfft.

If you think IEMs are confusing, just wait. And tubes...oh no, just no..........

🥴

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #6,065 of 88,368
Love buds and definitely plan more fun with them next year.

Hehe I have the wp900. Great for edm/ techno. They are a well done v shape

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #6,066 of 88,368
Oh dear Lord, you have the bug. Those are the two rabbit holes I started my journey down. Barely survived the experience, but had great fun prioritising it over everything else in life that I 'had to do'. Pfft.

If you think IEMs are confusing, just wait. And tubes...oh no, just no..........

🥴

Yeah I'm not sure I can deal with another journey! Maybe I'll park the tube idea.

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #6,068 of 88,368
They look fantastic and I've read great reports. How are they with R01? Or do I even need to ask!

What harm would one set of cans do? 🤔
Hehe pretty much everything sounds great on the r01. I'll do some listening with that combo this morning!

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #6,069 of 88,368
robertidk-just-one-more.gif

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #6,070 of 88,368
Great post @gLer !

I was really surprised from the step up XM4 is over XM3 and when I got it I said well I could live with that one alone if I was on a budget, it's really fun and the best sounding BT IEM I have had... Sony nailed the amplification, it sure explains why they're big but I am glad they did it like this!

IE900 is compelling to me as one of the few wow moments was the IE800 (for all its flaws) which was my second 1K IEM after the SE846 back then...

I started the hobby with the one IEM at a time stragegy, changing every year or so and then fell down the rabbit hole...

A few months ago with the reviewing, I got a bit tired of trying stuff out and the frenetic pace of the gear recycle to the point that it took a bit of the enjoyment away from the music listening which - after all - is the most important part of it :) I have not written a review for 6 months and stopped the crazy changes for a while but now I am back, although I won't be reviewing anymore just writing up about stuff I purchase like I used to do but on my own schedule.

About the "more IEM/headphones/sources you have" bit, honestly you could see it the other way around or at least when you go custom like me you necessarily keep IEMs... I have begun to stack quite a few... the interesting side of this is that you are reminded that past IEMs are just as great as the new stuff (well except maybe technological leaps like EST that do have an edge) and you enjoy picking them back up. It also reminds you that tuning is of the essence and tuning matching what you're looking for comes first no matter what. Add technical prowess by engineering on top and you've got something special but ultimately this is an art as much as it is engineering if not more.

Right now in my journey I am kind of looking for distinctive tunings above all else, not variants of more of the same which means tunings which can be polarizing but don't try to fit everyone's taste. I am also growing the variety of tunings I like, I still like best a warmer, fuller signature but I have grown to like other stuff as well. It's like discovering different facets of the music I listen to as well. Very interesting.

+1 there, and it's too bad COVID makes it hard to meet people in real life because meetups are the salt of communities...
Oh so true this hobby is grown so much in me due to Covid and I spent more than 20.000€ in 2 years🤭
Maybe I’d save many money if I had met some friends sharing stuff without anxiety, sad but true but I hope we will meet each other in a canjam asap.
Anyway I don’t regret any purchase because every IEMs bought was an experience and I sold/selling also IEMs that I really loved only because next one is coming.
I found some Jewels even not so expensive and I can enjoy music also with a “cheap” buds as I’m doing right now.
The best things in this hobby is share opinions, know people full of music passion “waist” some free time together!
Wich is my next purchase?
Not the most expensive IEMs ever had but nor the cheaper, its a dual DD with dual chamber and different ring material that help to provide better performances for low/lowermids and high/uppermids, and a particular reflex system.
Hope will works as I believe😜

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #6,071 of 88,368
Scuba
IEMs are way cheaper than cans for the most part. I have gone down that rabbit hole and bought the right equipment to the point I felt I was at endgame. DNA Stratus amp, NOS and Acme Supreme tubes, Focal Utopia, Sennheiser HD 800, 800S, 600,650, 660S, ZMF Verite and Eikon Burl , Norne headphone cables, WyWire ICs and power cables . Running Springs power conditioner, etc. I still have my Cary/Merlin 2 ch. stereo system too. You probably wonder why I have not sold some of it off. Long ago, I found that I would just replace them later since once an audio fool, always one.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #6,072 of 88,368
Cayin guys, there is a new thread in portable source about the new N8ii. FYI

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #6,073 of 88,368
Dec 9, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #6,074 of 88,368
Yeh probably increased treble by 2 db and added 2021 to model name and voila - a sensation for 100 bucks more.

Have they even released real new model in last 3 years?

Yes quite a few actually. Is there a single company out there that hasn't released re-upped versions of earlier models in the past 3 years? It's pretty much the norm now. I don't think it's a bad thing as refining & polishing an earlier model seems more efficient than constantly refreshing everything. I agree all the Andromedas have been overkill though-- especially the Gold which imho wasn't really an Andromeda at all.

The more IEMs/headphones/sources you have, and the longer you keep up the intense interest in the hobby, the less you'll be able to 'settle'. These are all moving parts, and the more parts you have, the more frequently they're going to shift and change. If you enjoy all the chopping and changing and buying and selling, that's awesome, and that's the hobby. I personally see it as a quest, not an indefinite activity. Sometimes when I stop, take myself out the hobby and look around, I see how much more there is and how many other important things in life I 'neglect', and I just have to shake my head. Sorry for all the philosophising - I'm only speaking for myself here. YMMV...

No need to apologize for philosophizing here ....it's what this thread is all about :D

My original goal was to "find one and be done" but given the variety of music I listen to and the fact that like the moon I go through phases and moods I eventually realized that having a few on hand that collectively meet all my needs and preferences is probably the best way to go for me. My two favorites right now (Isa & Dorado) I've had on hand for the better part of a year and I won't be parting with either any time soon so it's not like I'm constantly refreshing everything. I've sampled enough of the really high end stuff to simultaneously gain an appreciation for it but also to realize that I'm fortunate to be living in an age where much of what is considered "mid fi" is really not that much far off what is considered "summit fi"-- and even then the gap can often be closed with the right source synergy. I'm honestly feeling a little burnt out right now from all the demoing & chasing but I know that will pass. The only way I think I could be done with trying new stuff would be to walk away from this forum and others like it as it's ultimately the curiosity that keeps me trying new stuff more than any perceived flaw in what I have. If I'm being honest purely in terms of SQ and enjoyment I could have walked with the Fiio M9 & Solaris OG I had in March 2019 and not looked back...but these forums and all the impressions of new & great gear kept pulling me back.

Yeah 100% re the community, I've got to know many people with various shared passions - great to have that social connection and particularly during difficult COVID times.

+1

Right now in my journey I am kind of looking for distinctive tunings above all else, not variants of more of the same which means tunings which can be polarizing but don't try to fit everyone's taste. I am also growing the variety of tunings I like, I still like best a warmer, fuller signature but I have grown to like other stuff as well. It's like discovering different facets of the music I listen to as well. Very interesting.

Well said I can totally relate to this.

Honestly so much of this the last couple years for me has I think stemmed from the pandemic, lockdowns etc. This hobby has been a great emotional shock absorber for me there...and I get the sense it has for others as well.

LMAO once upon a time I thought I was fine with my Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones and I thought to myself "I'll just pick up one set of IEMs to have as a compliment"...and the rest is history lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back