The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 30, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #3,556 of 88,437
CFA Day 3 Multiverse - https://campfireaudio.com/shop/andromeda-gold-ti/
Andromeda Gold Ti... Damn if it ain't pretty.
Yes, it's a beauty alright. I noticed this in the description (emphasis added): "This model updates the unique formulation with a machined titanium shell and our updated custom balanced armatures."

There's no mention of the number available. It would be nice if there were a bunch of them. EDIT: as per posts below, 30 were made available.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #3,557 of 88,437
Yes, it's a beauty alright. I noticed this in the description (emphasis added): "This model updates the unique formulation with a machined titanium shell and our updated custom balanced armatures."

There's no mention of the number available. It would be nice if there were a bunch of them.
It's hard to know which BAs are in the CFA IEMs. They've never disclosed whether they use custom Knowles or Sonion BAs. I think at one point they used Bellsing drivers as well. So when they say updated BAs it doesn't really tell us much since we don't have a baseline.

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #3,559 of 88,437

There's no mention of the number available. It would be nice if there were a bunch of them.

It says: "A Special edition from another dimension, only 30 sets exist on this plane of existence."

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #3,561 of 88,437
It's hard to know which BAs are in the CFA IEMs. They've never disclosed whether they use custom Knowles or Sonion BAs. I think at one point they used Bellsing drivers as well. So when they say updated BAs it doesn't really tell us much since we don't have a baseline.
Yes. The implication is that the drivers are different from those of the original Andromeda Gold (and that this could conceivably have an impact on the sound).

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #3,562 of 88,437
BE3E215A-14FF-468B-8636-3F05B1F3D286.jpeg

Happy Halloween 🎃 👻

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #3,564 of 88,437
E3AC04CC-9A37-4B45-9FA2-CB18C593CC60 2.JPEG

Fiio FD7

Caveat: These impressions are based off the limited time I've been able to devote to the FD7 over the past few days and are of course subject to my own preferences, biases etc.

For the last few days I've had these generously on loan from @tgx78. The first thing one notices is a tremendous sense of air, spaciousness & clarity top. There is a nice sense of "3dness" to the headspace and detail & nuance just jump out at you. These excel in terms of technicalities & resolution, at least in the top half of the FR. Female vocals are lush, natural and seductive. Another plus for me is that the upper mids/lower treble, though perhaps bordering on being a bit too crisp/vibrant at times are never fatiguing, shouty or anything like that.

Where this set doesn't quite work for me is in the lower half of the FR. While there is a tremendous amount of detail/clarity/resolution etc. up top I feel it achieves this by selling short the lower mids & bass at times-- I often found myself craving more density, dynamics, body & extension down low. Where female vocals were wonderful on the FD7, male vocals were pushed back a wee bit. Jumping over to the Oriolus Reborn, by no means a bassy earphone, and one which I tend to EQ the mid-bass up and the upper mids down, I find it nonetheless has a much more satisfying native sub-bass response than the FD7. The net result of this is that, while in terms of raw detail & resolution up top the FD7 is indeed comparable to something like the Elysium but imho the signature is too cold and clinical on the whole and for me lacks the vibrance, vitality and organic je-ne-sais quoi of Elysium's sound. The top end feels very present and clear, but it doesn't quite have the life & breath that Ely had up top and the emotive pull of the sound as a whole. I would also say that it doesn't have the warmth and emotive factor of something like the Oriolus Isabellae though it likely does excel that IEM in terms of raw technicalities. When I put the Isabellae in my ears for the first time I was immediately swept off my feet and couldn't wait to look through my library to find all sorts of stuff to try-- while the FD7 is certainly impressive it did not give me a similar experience. More clinical is probably the best way to describe it and I'm someone whose bias is strongly towards the emotive. YMMV, and all that.

In a nutshell: there is greatness here, but the signature is too skewed towards the upper half of the FR for me and on the whole didn't give me the sort of emotional engagement I crave with an earphone. It's interesting that I often associate emotional connection with DDs intrinsically but my experience with the FD7 on this front was almost completely the opposite with the Audiosense DT600, which has 6 BAs and no DD at all.

These impressions were based off my listening library which includes a lot of Dire Straits, CCR, mid-bass heavy techno, Morcheeba etc. and does not contain a lot of classical, string instruments etc. so take that for what it's worth.

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #3,565 of 88,437

Fiio FD7

Caveat: These impressions are based off the limited time I've been able to devote to the FD7 over the past few days and are of course subject to my own preferences, biases etc.

For the last few days I've had these generously on loan from @tgx78. The first thing one notices is a tremendous sense of air, spaciousness & clarity top. There is a nice sense of "3dness" to the headspace and detail & nuance just jump out at you. These excel in terms of technicalities & resolution, at least in the top half of the FR. Female vocals are lush, natural and seductive. Another plus for me is that the upper mids/lower treble, though perhaps bordering on being a bit too crisp/vibrant at times are never fatiguing, shouty or anything like that.

Where this set doesn't quite work for me is in the lower half of the FR. While there is a tremendous amount of detail/clarity/resolution etc. up top I feel it achieves this by selling short the lower mids & bass at times-- I often found myself craving more density, dynamics, body & extension down low. Where female vocals were wonderful on the FD7, male vocals were pushed back a wee bit. Jumping over to the Oriolus Reborn, by no means a bassy earphone, and one which I tend to EQ the mid-bass up and the upper mids down, I find it nonetheless has a much more satisfying native sub-bass response than the FD7. The net result of this is that, while in terms of raw detail & resolution up top the FD7 is indeed comparable to something like the Elysium but imho the signature is too cold and clinical on the whole and for me lacks the vibrance, vitality and organic je-ne-sais quoi of Elysium's sound. The top end feels very present and clear, but it doesn't quite have the life & breath that Ely had up top and the emotive pull of the sound as a whole. I would also say that it doesn't have the warmth and emotive factor of something like the Oriolus Isabellae though it likely does excel that IEM in terms of raw technicalities. When I put the Isabellae in my ears for the first time I was immediately swept off my feet and couldn't wait to look through my library to find all sorts of stuff to try-- while the FD7 is certainly impressive it did not give me a similar experience. More clinical is probably the best way to describe it and I'm someone whose bias is strongly towards the emotive. YMMV, and all that.

In a nutshell: there is greatness here, but the signature is too skewed towards the upper half of the FR for me and on the whole didn't give me the sort of emotional engagement I crave with an earphone. It's interesting that I often associate emotional connection with DDs intrinsically but my experience with the FD7 on this front was almost completely the opposite with the Audiosense DT600, which has 6 BAs and no DD at all.

These impressions were based off my listening library which includes a lot of Dire Straits, CCR, mid-bass heavy techno, Morcheeba etc. and does not contain a lot of classical, string instruments etc. so take that for what it's worth.

Interesting, thanks for the impressions. A lack of emotional connection would be a big problem for me too, technical can be interesting and there is a place for it but emotional engagement far more important for me. I might still buy when it appears on Prime as can avail of the returns option.

Dunu have confirmed a tour for Zen Pro but looks like for existing Zen owners first - I will of course sign up, curious how the Pro will stack up to Zen OG and my other DDs... might be the 2021 DD dark horse 🐎

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #3,566 of 88,437

Fiio FD7

Thank for the impressions. Makes it easy to put it off my radar now.

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,567 of 88,437
Thank for the impressions. Makes it easy to put it off my radar now.

Do you have the IE900 coming in? Very curious to hear your thoughts on that one.

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #3,569 of 88,437

Fiio FD7

Totally forgot to send you tuning filters lol.

I went to check the original fiio box and confirmed that I sent you FD7 with treble filters pre installed.

For my classical music library, treble enhanced filters worked great, but they are probably suboptimal for your music genres.

I will put these in a mail tomorrow or Tuesday if you want to try.

82490206-D896-4841-95E0-1546409F4446.jpeg
C416B253-FD02-4E65-9B63-ACDAAB3D225B.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #3,570 of 88,437
At about 100+ hours I feel FD7 lacks some air, treble extension, having a somewhat muted/deadened character up top. Lower mids aren't the thickest but they are by no means thin. I feel this a warm, bass-dominated earphone. Bass goes deep and is significantly more sub than mid focused to my ears and should please sub-bassheads freaks as it's very well defined and epic sounding without becoming painful in bass dominated genres. I feel accuracy isn't really its forte and would classify it as a fun, genre specific IEM so far. It failed epicly against the Turii on my playlist of stoner rock, rendering it very sloppily it as if it didn't know what to do while the Turii literally butchered it in accuracies control, and engagement factor. So all in all so far I'm a bit disappointed but not a bad IEM by any means just perhaps not the kilobuck+ competitor at half the price I was thinking it might be owing to the pure Materion Be drivers like Luna and A8000 babble (haven't heard either of these).

Edit: sorry I thought I was in the FD7 thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back