The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 25, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,081 of 90,222
Maybe it was just some of the entry level cables I am thinking about then. I could be mistaken but I thought like the no 10 and no 5 cables were some unspecified material.
Oh, yes, you'd be correct there. The No. 5 is 100% copper, but the No. 10's materials were kept secret.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #1,082 of 90,222
ummm there are a few Bird owners with that......

I don't doubt that. Statistically if someone is able to swing a $6k IEM there's a semi-decent chance they'll be able to swing a $5k cable and while I have come to take at face value the testimony of those who insist that, crazy as it seems, the sound of the bird justifies the cost...suggesting that a cable could somehow be also worth that much on its own just boggles my imagination and leaves me thinking it's a pretty brazen "we'll charge it because they'll pay it" sort of scenario.

Cable rolling still eludes me. I have never heard any real differences that couldn't be explained away by a volume mismatch.

I'm all for spending some money on nice cables for ergonomics/feel/looks, but beyond that I don't get it.

And with pw audio, don't they also have a tendency to not even disclose the materials or structure of the cable itself?

No judgement on those who go in for cables. They just definitely are not for me.

I've had enough experience with cables that I won't outright dismiss it. I paid $1K for a Leo II Octa and noticed a subtle but undeniable improvement in SQ with my Elysium...and while I wound up selling the cable because it was too much $$ for me it's at least conceivable in that case that the $$ could be justified.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,083 of 90,222
I live in the wrong country.
I don't understand the Brits. They sent their prisoners to Australia and stayed where they are at? They should have left the prisoners in England and moved the Aristocracy to Australia. What were they thinking?

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,084 of 90,222
Oh, yes, you'd be correct there. The No. 5 is 100% copper, but the No. 10's materials were kept secret.
Gotcha, well then other than that one cable I take that part back.

Which is good, even though I'm not a cable believer, if I was, I think I couldn't imaging spending thousands of dollars on a cable with secret hidden materials.

I've had enough experience with cables that I won't outright dismiss it. I paid $1K for a Leo II Octa and noticed a subtle but undeniable improvement in SQ with my Elysium...and while I wound up selling the cable because it was too much $$ for me it's at least conceivable in that case that the $$ could be justified.
I still have a hard time believing it does anything other than carry the same signal across a wire. But I would never dismiss it out of hand especially since my experience is extremely limited with cables. I can't just accept that more expensive cables are always an improvement, only that maybe there are extremely subtle differences, which may or may not be be "better" and for me, definitely not worth ever spending more than maybe a couple hundred bucks.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #1,085 of 90,222
I don't doubt that. Statistically if someone is able to swing a $6k IEM there's a semi-decent chance they'll be able to swing a $5k cable and while I have come to take at face value the testimony of those who insist that, crazy as it seems, the sound of the bird justifies the cost...suggesting that a cable could somehow be also worth that much on its own just boggles my imagination and leaves me thinking it's a pretty brazen "we'll charge it because they'll pay it" sort of scenario.

This is exactly why I won't demo the Orpheus. I thought I would never buy an IEM over $2000, then I did it. Then, I was sure I wouldn't buy a Traillii at over $5000, then I did it. I am sure I will not buy an Orpheus, until I hear it. Therefore, I simply won't listen to it. I cannot be trusted.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #1,086 of 90,222
Maybe it was just some of the entry level cables I am thinking about then. I could be mistaken but I thought like the no 10 and no 5 cables were some unspecified material.
I have a no 5 and no 10 and I love them both. 2 of the best branded cables in the market from a price-performance point of view.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,087 of 90,222
I have a no 5 and no 10 and I love them both. 2 of the best branded cables in the market from a price-performance point of view.
I have the number 10 too. It's a nice looking cable that met my ergonomic needs at a price that was ok.

I hear no difference between it and other cables on the few iems I have tried it with. Performance still means nothing to me when it comes to cables outside of, does it transmit a signal or does it mess with the impedance/resistance too much.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #1,088 of 90,222
I have the number 10 too. It's a nice looking cable that met my ergonomic needs at a price that was ok.

I hear no difference between it and other cables on the few iems I have tried it with. Performance still means nothing to me when it comes to cables outside of, does it transmit a signal or does it mess with the impedance/resistance too much.
I am a cable agnostic. I buy cables for their aesthetic and ergonomic attributes primarily. In this regard, they are great for the price I paid especially since I bought them resale.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #1,089 of 90,222
This is exactly why I won't demo the Orpheus. I thought I would never buy an IEM over $2000, then I did it. Then, I was sure I wouldn't buy a Traillii at over $5000, then I did it. I am sure I will not buy an Orpheus, until I hear it. Therefore, I simply won't listen to it. I cannot be trusted.

At a certain point for me it becomes like those TV commercials that, year after year, would insist that this latest iteration of whatever product would get my whites whiter than last year's version. If the Trailli on its own is already so much better than everything else that it's hard to describe-- it seems a stretch, even by the standards of this hobby, that such an increase in cable cost could possibly correspond to a justifiable increase in SQ.

I've heard you say that you don't hear differences in sources either...perhaps you've been blessed (as far as $$ goes) to not be very sensitive to that sort of thing.

I am a cable agnostic. I buy cables for their aesthetic and ergonomic attributes primarily. In this regard, they are great for the price I paid especially since I bought them resale.

PW cables seem to be all the rage lately. What's the appeal? I for one don't like the clothy look-- I much prefer more traditional looking Eletech/Effect Audio cables. YMMV Etc.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,090 of 90,222
I've heard you say that you don't hear differences in sources either...perhaps you've been blessed (as far as $$ goes) to not be very sensitive to that sort of thing.
Well I should clarify... Small differences. I do struggle to hear major differences between sources and since most of my time is not spend doing critical listening. And I can often get just as much enjoyment out of much cheaper sources regardless.

And as far as money goes, not so lucky, still have an n6ii with a01, E01, and R01, for well over $2k. Though whether they were worth it fully to me? Questionable.

Honestly I do find myself questioning very often if any of this is worth it when I can get just as much enjoyment out of a cheap pair of iems and struggle a bit to hear any of the major "technical" differences that are often discussed. I just kind of assume that a lot of what you pay for with expensive stuff is the expertise of combining drivers to achieve a specific sound/tuning. Rather than necessarily "better".

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,091 of 90,222
Well I should clarify... Small differences. I do struggle to hear major differences between sources and since most of my time is not spend doing critical listening. And I can often get just as much enjoyment out of much cheaper sources regardless.

And as far as money goes, not so lucky, still have an n6ii with a01, E01, and R01, for well over $2k. Though whether they were worth it fully to me? Questionable.

Honestly I do find myself questioning very often if any of this is worth it when I can get just as much enjoyment out of a cheap pair of iems and struggle a bit to hear any of the major "technical" differences that are often discussed. I just kind of assume that a lot of what you pay for with expensive stuff is the expertise of combining drivers to achieve a specific sound/tuning. Rather than necessarily "better".

How do you like the R01?

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,092 of 90,222

I am kinda like you. If A/B my sources ,sure M8 comes on top. But once I get into the groove of the music the BTR5 can driver any of my IEMs with ease and I don't think I am missing anything . If you A/B you say this or that is better but enjoying music just doesn't work that way for me, like taking apart different parts and aspects of the sound constantly can getting exited how the gear is performing loses the appeal pretty fast.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #1,093 of 90,222
ummm there are a few Bird owners with that......
Of course there are.
I am still not convinced the difference between cables that is unable to be tested is down exclusively to the coupling effect the gauge and material has on your earbuds. It isn’t in the special wirings and shieldings and rare earth minerals.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,094 of 90,222
How do you like the R01?
Sounds great. Very detailed and natural sound. Great even out of the single ended (which is another topic I have my strong opinions about). Seems like a pretty neutral source and not too colored one way or another.

Big caveat from me... I would be hard pressed to pick out any real differences off the top of my head without trying to do some direct a/b comparisons. And I already thought the other boards sounded great too.

I am kinda like you. If A/B my sources ,sure M8 comes on top. But once I get into the groove of the music the BTR5 can driver any of my IEMs with ease and I don't think I am missing anything . If you A/B you say this or that is better but enjoying music just doesn't work that way for me, like taking apart different parts of it constantly can getting exited how the gear is performing loses the appeal pretty fast.
Well I also strongly believe that at the level that even entry level stuff is playing at these days, it's all very marginal. I do think there are genuine improvements as you move up, but it's mostly pretty small changes. And enjoyment specifically I think has a lot more to do with preferences rather than technicalities.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #1,095 of 90,222
Wise men say
Only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay?
Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you?

Yes, I'm in Love...

20210625_224052.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back