The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 19, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #10,231 of 89,794
I get the feeling Chord is full of boomers who can’t understand because the tech guys setup the Chord offices to have the Poly work flawlessly with their modem, ect.

I had a Google WiFi and it solved all my problems with the Poly, however this shouldn’t be required. The Poly should be flexible enough to work on most WiFi connections.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #10,232 of 89,794
agree...i never saw them as mobile solutions, but cheaper desktop chord products. it's a great size for the office, hence that's how I've been using them. i'd happily switch to something else if there was something of equivalent size and quality.
I was getting a lot of networking dropping. So, I upgraded the router in my house to a Google Mesh network and that solved the networking problem. So, the Mojo and Hugo 2 are good for walking around the house.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #10,233 of 89,794
I get the feeling Chord is full of boomers who can’t understand because the tech guys setup the Chord offices to have the Poly work flawlessly with their modem, ect.

I had a Google WiFi and it solved all my problems with the Poly, however this shouldn’t be required. The Poly should be flexible enough to work on most WiFi connections.
I made my post before seeing yours. I completely agree that upgrading the network is the solution for the Poly and 2go.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #10,234 of 89,794
Did you sell your Solaris?
No, just moved it to “cold storage”. It is worth more to me than what I can sell it for, but I am not actively listening to it.
Had to cut the cord, I felt. Its “artistic” treble, while being wonderful and very forgiving of low DR material, needed to be abandoned as it was making it hard to blend in new iems comfortably. The sound was too strikingly different and borderline incoherent in the upper registers.
Surprisingly, Turii is the Solaris upgrade generalist I had already in possession, but didn’t know was the answer. Better treble, deeper punchier bass with mostly the same freq curve to it. Way way better vocals and general timbre. And it does metal the best. + super coherent.
After so long with single DD’s, that BA treble shimmering just sounds like periphery noise to me now. I am not sure why just yet. In investigation mode. Need a PHöNIX or that other bird to give me some answers, ha!

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #10,235 of 89,794
that BA treble shimmering just sounds like periphery noise to me now.

I kind of feel that way about BA mids in general now-- been spoiled by DDs for too long. Phonix & Traillii are the only IEMs with BA mids I've heard in the last year that are even remotely tempting to me right now. YMMV.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #10,236 of 89,794
No, just moved it to “cold storage”. It is worth more to me than what I can sell it for, but I am not actively listening to it.
Had to cut the cord, I felt. Its “artistic” treble, while being wonderful and very forgiving of low DR material, needed to be abandoned as it was making it hard to blend in new iems comfortably. The sound was too strikingly different and borderline incoherent in the upper registers.
Surprisingly, Turii is the Solaris upgrade generalist I had already in possession, but didn’t know was the answer. Better treble, deeper punchier bass with mostly the same freq curve to it. Way way better vocals and general timbre. And it does metal the best. + super coherent.
After so long with single DD’s, that BA treble shimmering just sounds like periphery noise to me now. I am not sure why just yet. In investigation mode. Need a PHöNIX or that other bird to give me some answers, ha!

Well done BA treble is still my favorite. EST's are great but they lack weight and sound ethereal in comparison to a good BA. BA to my ears comes off much more natural to me. I enjoy both though as long as its remaining coherent within the sound.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #10,237 of 89,794
Well done BA treble is still my favorite. EST's are great but they lack weight and sound ethereal in comparison to a good BA. BA to my ears comes off much more natural to me. I enjoy both though as long as its remaining coherent within the sound.

I like both about equally when it's well done...treble on EXT & Phonix are both equally captivating to me in different ways. That said of all the main bands of the FR treble is the one I'm least picky about (so long as it's not metallic, peaky or fatiguing). YMMV etc.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #10,238 of 89,794
61vvkw.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #10,239 of 89,794
Yeah, I am not even remotely close to claiming one camp or the other. I need to try some higher quality implementations is all.
I'll have some VE tour units shortly so I'll be able to demo PHöNIX and EXT. FiR will be next up to demo, I hope. I am exited about FiR with all their open BA use and considering how much I dig (or don't mind at all) Fourte's DD lows to open BA mid transitions.
AND they are NW based, gotta love local.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #10,240 of 89,794
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #10,241 of 89,794
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #10,242 of 89,794
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #10,243 of 89,794
Ahhh regretting ordering new DAPs, incremental IEM upgrades (MEST Mk2 > Indigo) and should have followed my intuition and everyone's Phönix and EXT discussions and just order the EXT and stretch for a Phönix, LOL

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #10,244 of 89,794
@gLer is trying to be the exception to that rule. We will know on 1/1/23.
Ahhh regretting ordering new DAPs, incremental IEM upgrades (MEST Mk2 > Indigo) and should have followed my intuition and everyone's Phönix and EXT discussions and just order the EXT and stretch for a Phönix, LOL
In reply to all three quotes above, it's all about having a plan for how you'd like your system to look, based on how you actually use it. That's how I do it anyway.

All it requires is planning (based on what you have now, and what you think might actually improve it), and then having the patience to wait for the right gear with the right fit for what you want.

It's only mid-Jan. China is on hiatus. CanJam is still a month off. Buying anything now is a bit silly given how much will likely come down the pipe between now, CanJam NY and Easter. Unless there's something that's already out that you have your eye on to meet a need, don't just buy something in the hope that it shoehorns.

Take DAPs for example. There's literally nothing new or exciting in this space. But chances are there'll be plenty new, with fresh rounds of flagships announced this year. R2R is here and AKM is back. If you're budgeting for a mid-high-end DAP, keep your powder dry.

If all you're going to do is buy whatever we discuss on this thread for the heck of it, feel free to ignore the above and carry on.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #10,245 of 89,794
Empire Ears Evo sort of on my radar too. I know there was hype around the launch and some great reviews - what are the Watercooler thoughts? @gLer - I'm trying to remember, fast paced nature of Head-Fi, you bought Evo but parted company due to Z1R?

EXT still reads to me as the exciting partner to Traillii but I might be wrong... or indeed, others that also tick that box that I've yet to properly consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back