The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 20, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #10,261 of 91,342
I prefer EXT over the Phonix

Same...by some margin at this point though that has probably a lot to do with my obsession with DDs. That said if I cleanse my palette for a day and put on the Phonix it never fails to stop me in my tracks-- in its own way it's as good as anything I've ever heard and if nothing else I can say it's finally usurped the Andromeda 2020 as my favorite all-BA IEM. I was hoping to do an A/B with the Traillii but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

I’m not a fan of it’s mid bass hump. It sounds quite unnatural to my ear but this could change.

That's actually one of my favorite things about its sound-- as an all-BA IEM I find it helps mitigate some of the inherent thinness in BA timbre. I'm a bit of a mid-bass head though so YMMV there.

Also the fit of EXT like everyone has said is very different than most universals. I quite like it. I have to use a small tip, I usually use large and I also use the spiral dots!

Yeah the fit on EXT is unique and a bit bizarre-- I can't stress enough the importance of playing around with it...with tips, with inserting it...it can take a bit to nail the fit but if you do the reward is very very great.

Looking forward to more impressions!

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #10,262 of 91,342
EVO is still my number 1 IEM in my collection. It's because it is the only IEM I own that sounds better for some music than my Susvara and HE1000v2.

EVO is a bass head IEM with elevated upper mids. If you don't like overwhelming bass or you are sensitive to upper mids, EVO may not be for you. If you listen to Modern POP music or anything with a bass or rhythm section emphasis, EVO may be just what the doctor ordered.

My top 5:

1. EE Legend EVO
2. Oriolus Traillii
3. UM Indigo
4. EE Odin
5. Sony IER-Z1R

I listen to the above 5 every week or every day and they blow me away every time I listen to them.

Definitely one I need to consider too. Such a shame not easy to audition IEMs in my neck of the woods!

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #10,263 of 91,342
EVO is a strange one, mired by hype, unrealistic expectations, launch issues and controversy.

First up, it's a brilliant IEM. Yes it has tuning quirks (strident upper mids rendered harsh with a specific, narrow band of music types). But it also has the most technically brilliant sub-bass delivery of any IEM I've heard, with both speed and quantity that surpasses all else. If you can tolerate the 'wall of sound' effect in the upper mids/lower treble, double downed by an active bone conductor that adds unique and quirky texture and reverb effects everywhere, you're set for one awesome ride, akin to being slap bang in the middle of a dancefloor.

There was lots of hype leading up to launch. I mean, first Empire denied ever wanting to release a Legend X successor, then pretty much pitched EVO as just that. That lead to unrealistic expectations that EVO would never quite meet. Spiritually it is (the X successor), besting the X in every metric, but it's also tuned very differently, so don't expect many similarities other than name.

Then the teething issues. First there was a staggered launch, with only a few units available in each batch. This would normally have built up demand, but then EE and PW Audio got their wires crossed and messed up the Genesis cable production, an issue that remains only partially resolved even now.

And of course, what's an EE launch without controversy? For every enthusiastic plaudit, EVO seemed to attract equally strong pushback, often from unexpected sources. There was also the small matter of a certain competitor throwing its toys about supposed patent infringements and displaying some of the most unprofessional and downright laughable behaviour I've seen on this forum. And, being a popular brand, the debacle tended to split opinions, mostly in favour of EE, but also not. Worse, it's still brewing, and may yet come to a head in spectacular fashion later this year.

So that's EVO for you. Lots of noise, very polarising, brilliant but potentially flawed, and not surprisingly very scary for any first time buyer in this price range. The silver lining though, if you want one, they're already down about $1000 on the used market for virtually new product.

PS. Z1R did take EVO's place in my system, but by chance, not by design. I wasn't going to replace it immediately, and sold it for personal reasons, but the opportunity to finally get both Signature Series Sonys was impossible to pass up, and one of the luckiest breaks I've had in the hobby.

Ah yes, I remember now the controversy kicking in - actually that coupled with trying to resist buying one at the time, led me to unwatch the thread and I actually managed to cross it off my list.

It sure sounds interesting but not a blind buy. Thanks for the extensive feedback!

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #10,264 of 91,342
So yeah I reckon if you want to get the absolute best of a 1.5-3k IEM, why not get a $250 or $400 amp.
For sure. What I don't see the point of is getting a $2000 portable amp when you can get equivalent power and performance (for IEMs) with a $500 desktop amp. But, like everything else in life, cost and value are relative to the buyer.
This raises an interesting point that we’ve often chatted about - brand matching. For some it’s a non issue while for others it’s very pleasing and a somewhat cerebral experience. I’m guilty of it too, when I got a small mobile system for travel and gym (HiBy WH2 and R2), and previously with the Traillii and Isa. Some may do so with VE’s Phönix and EXT. Whilst it’s usually not a big factor it’s a factor nonetheless.
Ah yes. I'm a 'system' guy so brand matching, colour matching, form and design matching, are all high up on my checklist. In the desktop world, I would NEVER mix amps and DACs if there was a matching stack or suitable all-in-one available. I get a great feeling when using various components that at least look like they were specifically designed to work together, even if they weren't. On that note, if Sony ever releases an updated Signature DAP or portable/transportable amp/DAC I may be powerless to resist it.
the double edged sword can elicit excitement for new toys and at the same time make you view your existing gear through an inferiority lens.
Ah yes, my pet peeve is people who slate an IEM (or any gear) they've been hyping, just because something new and 'better' is out. Like oh, so now it has this or that issue, but yesterday it was amazing?

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #10,265 of 91,342
Ah yes, my pet peeve is people who slate an IEM (or any gear) they've been hyping, just because something new and 'better' is out. Like oh, so now it has this or that issue, but yesterday it was amazing?

One of the funniest things I’ve seen is when Crinacle updates his ranking list and then someone feels blue because the IEM they own got moved down in ranking.

lol.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #10,266 of 91,342
Seriously considering the M9 to replace my SP2000....not sure if I am being stupid.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #10,267 of 91,342
Seriously considering the M9 to replace my SP2000....not sure if I am being stupid.
I've been thinking about it myself but I think I'll wait to see how the N8ii plays out first.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #10,268 of 91,342
Same...by some margin at this point though that has probably a lot to do with my obsession with DDs. That said if I cleanse my palette for a day and put on the Phonix it never fails to stop me in my tracks-- in its own way it's as good as anything I've ever heard and if nothing else I can say it's finally usurped the Andromeda 2020 as my favorite all-BA IEM. I was hoping to do an A/B with the Traillii but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

I'd say the EXT's sound is more unique even tho I prefer the Phonix overall if I had to pick one IEM only.

As a compliment to the Traillii, EXT will definitely serve you better.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #10,269 of 91,342
I've been thinking about it myself but I think I'll wait to see how the N8ii plays out first.
Not to mention A&K will likely release a new flagship this year, as will others (HiBy etc.). And the M9 itself will undergo a DAC swap later this year, which may or may not make it even more appealing to some.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #10,270 of 91,342
Not to mention A&K will likely release a new flagship this year, as will others (HiBy etc.). And the M9 itself will undergo a DAC swap later this year, which may or may not make it even more appealing to some.

Based on my own experience of the Kann Alpha ... I would clearly say, A&K products are mostly based on obsolete cheap components and their developers are really far from being skillful enough to follow the Streaming providers' software programs... not to say they can even integrate modern full android version in their DAPs (from Android 10). I would never recommend buying theirs products.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #10,271 of 91,342
Based on my own experience of the Kann Alpha ... I would clearly say, A&K products are mostly based on obsolete cheap components and their developers are really far from being skillful enough to follow the Streaming providers' software programs... not to say they can even integrate modern full android version in their DAPs (from Android 10). I would never recommend buying theirs products.
I've never used an A&K product, but they seem to be revered as the 'Gold Standard' for flagship DAPs. I could be wrong, but that's my impression, from the way A&K flagship owners always talk about their DAPs anyway. I'm specifically talking about their flagships though. The others seem to be hit and miss.

Functionality and software-wise even the flagships are second best to the current Chi-Fi flagships, IF you're after speed and open Android support. They do have an ace up their sleeve in native Roon support though, which is also important to some.

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #10,272 of 91,342
A/B ing now, I think M9's soundstage is bigger, just as technical, and more musical.

With SP2k's resale value to be higher than the M9, I think this is an easy decision....

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #10,273 of 91,342
A/B ing now, I think M9's soundstage is bigger, just as technical, and more musical.

With SP2k's resale value to be higher than the M9, I think this is an easy decision....
Now you have me thinking......😁

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #10,274 of 91,342
Now you have me thinking......😁
Forgot to mention having 4.4 is one of the main reasons for me too. Tired of using converters.

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #10,275 of 91,342
Forgot to mention having 4.4 is one of the main reasons for me too. Tired of using converters.
Yes it is a pain. That and the way apps have to be installed/ updated are the main issues I have but I still love the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back