The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #9,946 of 88,414
My mission will be to finally hear the various IEMs on my hitlist and hopefully depart from New York as the proud owner of one of them! That said, I do feel EXT is the one and part of me wonders should I skip the trip and just order them.
For IEMs, I want to hear the EXT, the Phonix, Fir XE6, MEXT, FS, Jewel. I was hoping the hear the Annihilator or X from Elysian, but they aren't coming to NYC and the X is discontinued. I may hear the EXT and Phonix sooner depending on when my turn is on the Audio Tiers tour.

You asked about discounts. In Socal, it seemed that just about everyone had some type of discount even it if was a nominal 10%. The best discounts were from the Source AV. I got my IE900 for $950 as their show discount.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #9,947 of 88,414
My mission will be to finally hear the various IEMs on my hitlist and hopefully depart from New York as the proud owner of one of them! That said, I do feel EXT is the one and part of me wonders should I skip the trip and just order them.
Flight prices are low for me, but I'd have to quarantine upon return, plus a bunch of testing. Probably skipping this one. I really liked the event though, back in 2020...

Your question about discounts: yes, generally speaking there are deals to be had. I remember a large Focal stand, with 20% off on some models. I bought a VC from ZMF when I was there.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #9,948 of 88,414
Do you guys have any recommendations for affordable powerful DAPs (edit: under $750 used)? Buying second-hand is fine, preferable even, as I can sell it if needed. I'm looking forward to CanJam and to auditioning a bunch of IEMs. I have the Sony ZX2 because it pairs nicely with my Andro 2020 and og Solaris, but I very much doubt it'll do justice to the harder-to-drive Vision Ears (and other) IEMs.

Speaking of CanJam, I can't remember if I mentioned this previously: while I'm now in NJ, I'm just 30-40 mins out of midtown Manhattan and have lived in the city several times for several years, including up until last summer - @HiFiHawaii808 and @Scuba Devils and anyone else, feel free to message me if you want any recommendations for places to eat, drink, etc..

Zen Pro in many ways is closer to Phonix to my ears because of it's balance, transparency, technical chops & insane coherence.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Phönix vs. the Zen Pro.

to surpass the Z1R's combination of exceptional female vocals + visceral/ultra-textured bass + cathedral stage + pristine treble + perfect fit (last thing I expected!) will take something special indeed.
I love the phrase "cathedral stage"!

---

I just got my Andro 2020 back after they were out on a personal loaner tour for 6 months+. It's wonderful to have them back again and interesting to hear them again after so long, it's almost like I'm having a fresh perspective on them. I've been listening to my original Solaris exclusively recently (among IEMs), and the Andro's comfort, for me, is incredible; the mid-bass is far more emphasized than I'd remembered; I agree @Rockwell75 about the limp bass, although I hear its weakness being mainly in the sub-bass region. But, man, it has such an enjoyable and engaging sound. This weekend's a second honeymoon!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #9,949 of 88,414
Totally get that, and it's great to 'experience' the new stuff through you guys. It's the main reason I'm addicted to Head-Fi. But I'm the guy who always orders his favourite dish from the menu, regardless of the Chef's special. Boring, I know, but rarely disappointed. 😁
That's not crazy. I do the same thing. The only difference is that I have a lot more restaurants on my list than you do.

You do a lot of reviews, so you get to hear new products. I don't have a problem with your approach. In fact, if I had to write down my preferred approach it would look like yours. I just don't have the discipline for it.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #9,950 of 88,414
I think someone said it earlier. It's not so much that new IEMs are better. It's more that they are different and many of us are simply seeking new experiences.

That’s where I am at. For me in terms of tuning alone that’s been the EXT and XE6 for recent releases. I still get butt hurt I had to get rid of the EXT because it’s a unique sound, but I feel the XE6 filled that niche and objectively is tuned more proper. Both are definitely new experiences though, such a joy to find stuff like that and having it sound great and not being botched.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #9,951 of 88,414
Speaking of CanJam, I can't remember if I mentioned this previously: while I'm now in NJ, I'm just 30-40 mins out of midtown Manhattan and have lived in the city several times for several years, including up until last summer - @HiFiHawaii808 and @Scuba Devils and anyone else, feel free to message me if you want any recommendations for places to eat, drink, etc..
Thanks! Why don't you just meet us there and take us with you.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #9,952 of 88,414
Thanks! Why don't you just meet us there and take us with you.
Sounds like a plan!

I am bringing my Susvara so that I can compare them against the Diana TC and 1266 TC and try out the Ferrum Orr and Ampsandsound Nautilus.
I'm keen to check out the Ferrum Orr as well, and I might bring my Vérité and a pair of LCD-4 with me. The Nautilus looks like a magnificent beast.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #9,953 of 88,414
Sounds like a plan!

I'm keen to check out the Ferrum Orr as well, and I might bring my Vérité and a pair of LCD-4 with me. The Nautilus looks like a magnificent beast.
Awesome. See you there. You can leave your stuff in my room if you need to place to keep it.

I am really looking forward to seeing if a group brings there own stuff and stages it in a room like they did in Socal. It's like a Canjam in an of itself just listening to everyone else's gear.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #9,954 of 88,414
Sounds like a plan!

We need to keep talking it up and maybe we can get @Rockwell75 to come, too.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #9,955 of 88,414
We need to keep talking it up and maybe we can get @Rockwell75 to come, too.
You should organise a dedicated Watercooler section at CJNY! If it was even remotely possible - i.e. affordable - I'd be there in a flash.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #9,956 of 88,414
You should organise a dedicated Watercooler section at CJNY! If it was even remotely possible - i.e. affordable - I'd be there in a flash.
Okay. I'll see if I can get a suite upgrade. If I do, it will be in my unit.

The biggest problem at CanJan Socal was it was way too noisy. If you can listen in a room, it is so much better.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #9,957 of 88,414
Okay. I'll see if I can get a suite upgrade. If I do, it will be in my unit.

The biggest problem at CanJan Socal was it was way too noisy. If you can listen in a room, it is so much better.

For me it's a matter of $$ and timing. If I go for EXT that's ostensibly my hobby budget for the first quarter of the year. Another issue for me is timing-- I'm a teacher/school administrator and it's hard to imagine a less convenient time to go...not to mention the optics of a school official travelling abroad when everyone is sh1tting their pants about Oh-my-Godicron. Still, temptation looms. If nothing else I will host a Zoom session so those who can't attend can be there by proxy.

Jan 15, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #9,958 of 88,414
I’m so curious to listen EXT and Phönix too.
Right now my cup of tea is Aroma Thunder, pairs incredible good with Hiby RS6 and I’m waiting VE’s IEMs to understand if chose one of them or sell everything and go with Jewel.
Some pics from Asian Friends

Attachments

• 0F0D36A1-BF13-433D-B7FA-921192CBAFC5.jpeg
    0F0D36A1-BF13-433D-B7FA-921192CBAFC5.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 0
  • 717A0CAB-A45E-4473-98BF-2F68FA20EBCD.jpeg
    717A0CAB-A45E-4473-98BF-2F68FA20EBCD.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 18DA19C2-B5B4-4C71-A3D8-0F99B259F0C9.jpeg
    18DA19C2-B5B4-4C71-A3D8-0F99B259F0C9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #9,959 of 88,414
Jan 15, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #9,960 of 88,414
For me it's a matter of $$ and timing. If I go for EXT that's ostensibly my hobby budget for the first quarter of the year. Another issue for me is timing-- I'm a teacher/school administrator and it's hard to imagine a less convenient time to go...not to mention the optics of a school official travelling abroad when everyone is sh1tting their pants about Oh-my-Godicron. Still, temptation looms. If nothing else I will host a Zoom session so those who can't attend can be there by proxy.
I know. I am mostly just kidding. It is a luxury to be able to travel and not everyone can do it. Hopefully we can convince Head fi to have one in Canada. My son is moving to Toronto for love. So, I will be visiting anyway. The food in Vancouver and Toronto is world class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back