The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 14, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #89,207 of 90,352
Lost another great one. One of my fave sax artists, David Sanborn.
1715699831112.png

May 14, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #89,209 of 90,352
Richard Thompson gets my vote for the most underrated guitar player in history.

drftr
What about Wes Montgomery? :)

May 14, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #89,211 of 90,352
I'd think every jazz lover would know Wes Montgomery?

drftr
You might be right, but I feel like he is not that represented anymore.

May 14, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #89,212 of 90,352
My reference playlist for new audio gear:
1. Gorillaz - Cracker Island: Very punchy and fat sounding pop song
2. Moonchild - The List: Small and modern Nu-Soul Band
3. Brad Mehldau - Little Person: Piano Jazz Trio track
04. Joni Mitchell - Woodstock: for good replay of Orchestra and Vocals, legendary production imo
05 Jacob Collier - It Don´t Matter: top-notch, clean sound for a funky pop track
06 DOMI & JD Beck - NOT TIGHT: this album is produced very dry and the snare still needs to sound good, not easy to do
07 Vulfpeck - Disco Ulysses (Instrumental): another modern song with modern production but 70s disco vibes
09 Hall & Oates - I´m Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man): crisp and clear 70s production, great vocals and drums
09 Vegyn - Cowboy Allstar: modern compressed producer sound with lots of swirling details
10 System Of A Down - Toxicity: Amazing punchy sound, a lot of power. Rick Rubin knows what he is doing (somehow)
11 Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life: typical airy ECM house sound with less of the flaws that get introduced later in some of their productions
12 Laufey - Falling Behind (Live - The Reykjavík Sessions): With the right mood and gear, her voice can give me goosebumps on this track. Can be sibilant on some hardware.
13 Word Of Mouth Band - Beaver Patrol: Modern big band sound, track with lots of energy
14 Loris S. Sarid - Orizzontale Verticale: Modern ambient in classic Kankyo Ongaku style, but with better production.
15 Maya Delilah - Harvest Moon: Modern jazz/soul, very dynamic for the genre
16 Terrace Martin - Valdez Off Crenshaw: Soul with a slight 70s lo-fi edge, especially in the vocals
17 Lee Fields & The Expressions - Lover Man: very classic funk and soul production, analogue sounding.
18 Klaus Veen - Ordinary Days V2: Funky EDM/House track (I think). Straight banger.
19 Jack & Owane - Action Boyz: Modern E-Guitar Fusion, like Casiopea on Steroids.
20 Johan Lenox - You Up (Chamber Version): Trap and Chamber Music mixed together. You'll love it or hate it, but the production is great.
21 The Dark Jazz Ensemble - Giallo: Jazz Noir with lots of melancholy and unease. Amazingl detailed production.
22 Ghost Note - Beastie: Drum reference track. Only drums and percussion here.
23 Sora - Revans: I don't know how to describe this music, but it's kind of ambient/glitch music and this is just a great track, lots of details and great for treble checking.
24 Jameszoo & Metropole Orkest (conducted by Jules Buckley) - (lose): orchestral with a synthesizer, lots of dynamics to test here
25 Kendrick Lamar - Count Me Out: phat track, vocals and beat focused, lots of changes

Not many transducers can pass this test for me. :)
Thanks, very interesting 👍🏻

Do you have a Tidal link or can you make one?

May 14, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #89,215 of 90,352
Lost another great one. One of my fave sax artists, David Sanborn.
1715699831112.png

“Liking” the post doesn’t seem right, but that’s the only reaction I can give…

May 14, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #89,217 of 90,352
Sorry that I missed the vote.

Here would have been my vote for 3 IEMs that have captured my heart at this very moment in time.

1. Elysian Acoustic Labs Dio. I heard it in Singapore at CanJam for the second time and with the near final version and it is spectacular. I will likely be my new number 1 when it gets released.

2. Fitear DC ti. I was blown away by @Crazeee's Creator at one of our local meet ups in SG. It turns out that this is a dark IEM that needs Silver. When I heard it with the stock cable, I did not like it at all. Then, Chang at NightJar told me he built a custom Silver cable for DC ti which is very similar to Creator and so I asked him if I could demo it in the Jaben SG booth. I loved it so I bought it. Waiting for the custom to be completed. Bought it with the NightJar Silver cable that is only good for use with DC ti.

3. NightJar Duality. Great bass head IEM launching very soon.

First time I am voting for all IEMs that I do not yet have in my possession ,but I fell in love with after multiple demos.

For Below $2000, I would have to go with

1. NightJar Singularity
2. Melodic Artification Alter Ego (might be slightly higher than the price limit, but this is my choice anyway)
3. Noble FoKus Prestige

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #89,219 of 90,352
2. Fitear DC ti
I have Fitear DC on my demo wishlist as I assume this sounds the same as DC Ti. Not sure if you have looked into the differences? Perhaps @Crazeee has?

Since I bought all my stuff at Uncle Wilson I could ask him to send a set in to demo but I think our tax department would want to have a word with me; even if it's a sample that will be sent back a week later. It is the most anticipated IEM on my wishlist though. Time for a trick... 🤔

drftr

May 14, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #89,220 of 90,352
Richard Thompson gets my vote for the most underrated guitar player in history.

drftr

I love Tommy Emmanuel, one of the most talent acoustic guitarist alive today. Saw him live in NYC a few months ago and it was electrifying. His improvisation skills and musicality are off the charts for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back