The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 11, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #88,981 of 90,020
@Scubadevils listening to FA19 on the way to work, circa 2024, colorised

I have this movie on my watchlist so I'm avoiding the youtube video since it's labeled, "Perfect Days Ending Scene" lol.

May 11, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #88,982 of 90,020
I have this movie on my watchlist so I'm avoiding the youtube video since it's labeled, "Perfect Days Ending Scene" lol.
Nothing really happens in the movie, tbh. So you can’t spoil it 😂 “It’s not what is said, it’s how it’s said” situation with this movie.

May 11, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #88,983 of 90,020
Dang it! Just when I run out of popcorn!

drftr
1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #88,984 of 90,020
Ehh I wouldn’t call Annihilator bass bad whatsoever just Not to the level of Some other TOTLs I would rate its bass a solid “good” 👍
I love my Anni but the bass does have that 90’s JL sub in a Honda trunk with the trunk lid vibrating accuracy to it.

May 11, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #88,985 of 90,020
I love my Anni but the bass does have that 90’s JL sub in a Honda trunk with the trunk lid vibrating accuracy to it.
Bruh 😂

May 11, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #88,987 of 90,020
Does anyone have fir radon 6? how would you describe it? Is it still one of the best iems out there right now?
Depends what sound signature you’re looking for. I’d still consider them great sounding for their price. But depending on what you’re looking for sound wise there are a lot of great IEMs right now.

May 11, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #88,989 of 90,020
BA bass with bone conductor (UM Multiverse Mentor) is making me not hanker for DD bass.

I actually am finding that agree with this, BA bass with BC, except with the Canpur CP622B. BA bass never bothered me as much as some per se, but dynamic is definitely really hard to beat.

May 11, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #88,990 of 90,020
Also BA has gotten really good at bass lately.

I don't think any better than they have been historically. IMHO BA bass is at its best when it's not trying to mimic a DD and instead plays on the native strengths of the driver. I think my favorite BA bass response so far is probably in the Vision Ears Elysium.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #88,991 of 90,020
I don't think any better than they have been historically. IMHO BA bass is at its best when it's not trying to mimic a DD. I think my favorite BA bass response was probably in the Elysium.

I was listening to the Moondrop S8 before my Xuan NV came in, I was surprised at how the BA handled bass. It's super fast so some songs can sound a little bit anemic at times but others sounded great/fuller than it seemed like it should.

May 11, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #88,992 of 90,020
Beautiful in all their not-yellow glory! :heart_eyes:
Haha, thanks. I struggled with pulling them so far from their OG design, because, for some reason, I need my customs to look like their UIEM variants in some way; to still remind me that it’s a Fei Wan. But, in the end, I liked the blue abalone too much, so an engraved Fei Wan on one side and having all the artwork be in yellow-gold were gonna have to do. 😁

And, guess who took that photo for Eletech. 😉

Curious as to why a lot of TOTL iems don’t use a dd for bass when the demand is so high .. I feel like there might be some kind of scientific explanation 🧪🧬🔬
I’m guessing it’s an overall timbre/speed uniformity thing. Sometimes, an IEM works best when our attention is divided equally between the lows, mids and highs. For me, personally, DD lows - whether it be down to their solid thumps or slightly longer decays - can steal the spotlight with every kick of the bass drum. It can feel like a no-brainer if we just isolated the bass in our heads and think, “This would sound so much better with a DD.” But, that may not be the case once we take the whole signature - the bigger picture - into account.

There are other tertiary factors too, probably, like how much more space they take up, their QC rates, etc. But, as far as sonics go, that’s my hypothesis.

Hope you enjoy it! I'm loving the Feiwan, but given my experience with treble being the same or vastly different on customs, I've been hesitant to do that.

Not to mention Sifo's debacle with his custom Jewel. I've never really liked dealing with HK companies as a whole (but that's a seperate story) and his situation just annoyed me further
Thanks! Yeah, @Sifo’s situation was a tough, tough read. But, having a dealer I can trust, plus the Fei Wan’s having no ESTs, gave me a quite a bit of confidence to pull the trigger.

May 11, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #88,993 of 90,020
Hi everyone,

This thread has been a godsend to the portable community over the last 3 years, with @Rockwell75 's amazing stewardsip in building this truly wonderful community.

I had a few community members over the last couple of months asking me to start a parallel thread for full-size headphones and related gear and banter. After much thinking, as well as feedback and advice from Jeff and other communtiy members here, I decided to take the plunge and follow in Jeff's big shoes.

The Watercooler Headphone Edition thread is now launched:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-watercooler-headphone-edition-–-headphones-amps-dacs-and-desktop-home-audio-related-–-a-freewheeling-discussion-of-gear-impressions-music-and-musings.972819/#post-18119617

Any and all are welcome. Same rules, same vibe, same spirit... different gear.

Please come and engage, contribute, and help. Feedback and advice are most welcome.

And I will continue to enjoy this inspiring thread in parallel, as my nascent IEM obsession is developing. Lots of joy to go around!

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Eyal

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #88,994 of 90,020
Haha, thanks. I struggled with pulling them so far from their OG design, because, for some reason, I need my customs to look like their UIEM variants in some way; to still remind me that it’s a Fei Wan. But, in the end, I liked the blue abalone too much, so an engraved Fei Wan on one side and having all the artwork be in yellow-gold were gonna have to do. 😁

And, guess who took that photo for Eletech. 😉

I’m guessing it’s an overall timbre/speed uniformity thing. Sometimes, an IEM works best when our attention is divided equally between the lows, mids and highs. For me, personally, DD lows - whether it be down to their solid thumps or slightly longer decays - can steal the spotlight with every kick of the bass drum. It can feel like a no-brainer if we just isolated the bass in our heads and think, “This would sound so much better with a DD.” But, that may not be the case once we take the whole signature - the bigger picture - into account.

There are other tertiary factors too, probably, like how much more space they take up, their QC rates, etc. But, as far as sonics go, that’s my hypothesis.

Thanks! Yeah, @Sifo’s situation was a tough, tough read. But, having a dealer I can trust, plus the Fei Wan’s having no ESTs, gave me a quite a bit of confidence to pull the trigger.

I asked recently whether there was consideration to place a DD in a BA/EST IEM recently (it’s a question many have asked). The answer as more complex than I had initially acknowledged. From tuning, phase alignment, sound tubes, IEM internal structure, space, circuitry, crossover, tuning … it’s just ‘not that simple’ as whacking a DD into an IEM. Sure, you could do it and there are plenty of options. But to get it ‘just right’ seems to be like solving a Rubric Cube. BA’s and circuitry can also be intentionally tuned to emphasise the bass response.

Yes, DD have some advantages simply because of the volume of air they can move. That’s why there is a great deal of choice. FIR XE6 ; the upcoming Duality come to mind as IEM’s that intentionally have prioritised bass.

May 11, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #88,995 of 90,020
I asked recently whether there was consideration to place a DD in a BA/EST IEM recently (it’s a question many have asked). The answer as more complex than I had initially acknowledged. From tuning, phase alignment, sound tubes, IEM internal structure, space, circuitry, crossover, tuning … it’s just ‘not that simple’ as whacking a DD into an IEM. Sure, you could do it and there are plenty of options. But to get it ‘just right’ seems to be like solving a Rubric Cube. BA’s and circuitry can also be intentionally tuned to emphasise the bass response.

Yes, DD have some advantages simply because of the volume of air they can move. That’s why there is a great deal of choice. FIR XE6 ; the upcoming Duality come to mind as IEM’s that intentionally have prioritised bass.
Did you manage to try the Duality with its adapter? Is it power-hungry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back