The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 23, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #87,361 of 88,287
There will be a target market out there for audiophiles for which money is no object. The He-1 comes to mind.

Not to mention there are two channel systems where $16k would barely scratch the surface.

Or the odd person who will save and splurge. I don’t think many of us will be early adopters at that price point.

Time will tell.

True, Whenever im trying to justify my pricey purchases i just comfort myself by thinking "Hey, this portable audio hobby ain't nothing, your entire setup is only the cost of 1 cable in the 2-Channel world! Just go for it!" :joy:

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #87,362 of 88,287
IMR always has the most exotic driver types. Only a BCD is missing in this one to be a true chimera. Super interesting stuff but I am way too scared to ever buy anything.
Mems driver actually does something really close to the BC driver on other IMR creations

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #87,363 of 88,287
When i see things like this, I see it as a new tech that is yet to be perfected and hopefully will be in the future. It is the 'first' of its kind that makes it ultra expensive, just like how Plasma TVs were few and super expensive in the early 2000s. With tech, it will get better and more accessible overtime, I think it will definitely be worth the demo, not sure if it's worth the buy given its odd shape and hassle with carrying crossover box and stack it with a DAP.. But sure, it's an innovation! yay!
There will be a target market out there for audiophiles for which money is no object. The He-1 comes to mind.

Not to mention there are two channel systems where $16k would barely scratch the surface.

Or the odd person who will save and splurge. I don’t think many of us will be early adopters at that price point.

Time will tell.
Yup, it's just like what I said about the Narukami on my CanJam post; a manifestation of a brand's wildest, most ambitious concepts that most people will only get to taste and let go of. And, I think there's a special place for those sorts of experiences. Like I said on that post, there's something special about having to hold onto a fleeting memory of a product, rather than having it at all times at home and, eventually, taking it for granted.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #87,364 of 88,287
It also has to do with the source and the cable used to demo the Storm. At the CanJam NYC '23 when @Chang was just a visitor in the crowd, someone at the show asked me to hear the Storm with its stock cable, and while I only had LPGT on hand with me (not the best pair-up synergy). Tbh, it wasn't as impressive as it turned out to be this year at CanJam NYC '24 when it was suited with Sovereign Symphony upgrade cable and driven from PB5 amp at Subtonic/NightJar table. That made a big difference!

canjam_nyc-2024-101-Subtonic_NightJar-04.jpg canjam_nyc-2024-102-Subtonic_NightJar-05.jpg

The Sovereign Symphony cable is straight up voodoo stuff. I love how it manages to remain a mostly neutral and organic sound while boosting perception of detail and image size, and for such a chunky and hefty cable it's surprisingly comfortable. Its synergy with Storm is fantastic but I find it pairing up very well with other sets too.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #87,365 of 88,287
They are in, cant wait to hear if they Can Pur 😁

IMG_5517.jpeg

So with the CP622B you can really feel the music, no hype, the real deal.

I was sceptical about bone conduction, but with the right song, my whole ear vibrates lol.

Not like your phone or anything, its subtle, more like the feeling you get from a subwoofer.

From the short listing I can tell I like this set, sounds neutral but with added basssss to me.

I can see why not everyone likes the shell, smaller ears probably get stretched out

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #87,366 of 88,287
Yup, it's just like what I said about the Narukami on my CanJam post; a manifestation of a brand's wildest, most ambitious concepts that most people will only get to taste and let go of. And, I think there's a special place for those sorts of experiences. Like I said on that post, there's something special about having to hold onto a fleeting memory of a product, rather than having it at all times at home and, eventually, taking it for granted.

It is absolutely fine when it actually is the ultimate, only five of that McLaren hypercar will ever be built. Personally I have no issue with the Audio Technica set compared to some of the jumping on the price bandwagon releases we have seen :relaxed:

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #87,367 of 88,287
So with the CP622B you can really feel the music, no hype, the real deal.

I was sceptical about bone conduction, but with the right song, my whole ear vibrates lol.

Not like your phone or anything, its subtle, more like the feeling you get from a subwoofer.

From the short listing I can tell I like this set, sounds neutral but with added basssss to me.

I can see why not everyone likes the shell, smaller ears probably get stretched out
Doesn't the Aura's bass do something similar?

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #87,368 of 88,287
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #87,369 of 88,287
Doesn't the Aura's bass do something similar?
Its different, the bass on Aura is warmer, but to my ears rolls of sooner.

The SP622B bass “humm” lingures a little longer, just like a subwoofer.

But in sound temperature, they are actually fairly the same, resolution matches as well. Though the Aura is a wee bit warmer

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #87,370 of 88,287
Its different, the bass on Aura is warmer, but to my ears rolls of sooner.

The SP622B bass “humm” lingures a little longer, just like a subwoofer.

But in sound temperature, they are actually fairly the same, resolution matches as well. Though the Aura is a wee bit warmer
I think in terms of 3dimensionality the CP622B is more spacious, due to the bc deiver?

The aura is just really musical, a more relaxing listen (while still being detailed)

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #87,371 of 88,287
Moondrop released a smartphone hmm

IMG_2426.jpegIMG_2425.jpeg

https://twitter.com/MoondropLab/sta...6?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #87,372 of 88,287
If you were convinced there is a real difference, why be skeptical that there would be a measurable difference?

I'm skeptical that what I consider to be the differences between BA & DD bass (timbre, grip, "feel", movement of air etc.) can be discerned from FR graphs or other common forms of measurements for the same reason that you can't tell the difference between a building made of wood and one made of concrete by looking at its reflection on the ground. I'm not staking my life on this or anything...but I'm skeptical. And there is a difference between something being measureable and said thing being able to be discerned from measurements. You might be able to hook up wires to my brain and correlate all of my thought processes to some measureable thing-- but you would not thus be able to determine the actual content of my thoughts this way. I similarly have trouble imagining a situation where someone can, say, look at an FR chart and be able to discern whether something has BA or DD bass.

I'm also wary of the some of the eliminativist trends I see in some quarters where if some quality isn't considered "measureable" or if it does not readily correlate to something measureable then it is disregarded or treated as though it's not really a thing. I've seen things like resolution and various other domains of technical performance almost dismissed in this way.

1. Take measurement of a DD and a BA set normally
2. Punch a leak in the measurement rig (probably through a hole in the eartips)
3. Take measurements again

The difference will be obvious.

I don't quite see the import of this example.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #87,373 of 88,287
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #87,374 of 88,287
need sony to step into the ring. I know we're in the minority but I wish they'd put more into the audio and less into the fancy camera features. still contemplating upgrading to an Xperia due to the headphone jack/removable storage but they don't come cheap.
Im actually fine with a dap just being a dap.

We are in such a niche category that I dont see how they would make a totl experience, when combining it with other functionality.

Like a cameraman still using a professional camera for his shoots.

Its nice that a phone can do lots of functional things, and you have with with you by default but still not the same quality

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #87,375 of 88,287
For Volur I take it you can’t hear that gargantuan upper treble peak that’s in the tuning? For me it was far too airy up top, it sounded like my ear drums were being sliced open with certain tracks.
For me air is much further up, like where no instruments go, really.

Treble-wise what bugs me most is too much lower treble. I'm pretty sure being 55 helps attenuate anything above 10 kHz by (aging) design.

Having said that, do you think some our favourite designers will be producing brighter sounding IEMs going forward because their ears are aging as well? That should influence tuning.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back