The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #87,331 of 88,290
I went up to the $1k level of IEMs with a few different things and really loved the sounds, but I started running into fitment issues. Etymotic is too deep, but almost everything else is too shallow or falls out. The longer nozzle on the Kato is perfection, so I've landed there. I would be open to others though.

The Rs6 has a lot of utility beyond portable. I love that it can be any step in a stack, and at a very high level. And yeah, works well with most over ears too. 🙂
The Canpur IEMs (I own the CP54E) are incredibly well-designed from a fit perspective. I don't know if they vary in size from model to model but the CP54E is really nicely crafted.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #87,332 of 88,290
Yes, but in other hand we've got these two guys, that have inside:
1 11,5mm dynamic driver
1 8mm AMT driver
1 MEMS driver
2 Sonion EXT drivers
Without crossover and additional amplification.
They provide one of the most addicting Mid's presentations I've ever listened in my life with iems.

IMG_20240423_021908_edit_446666687589132.jpg
IMR always has the most exotic driver types. Only a BCD is missing in this one to be a true chimera. Super interesting stuff but I am way too scared to ever buy anything.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #87,333 of 88,290
The Canpur IEMs (I own the CP54E) are incredibly well-designed from a fit perspective. I don't know if they vary in size from model to model but the CP54E is really nicely crafted.
They do vary. On the 622b especially, the shell is not gonna fit properly into everyone's cymba. I get pain on one side after an extended period of time. the 54E is a bit smaller in that regard and easier to fit.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #87,334 of 88,290
They do vary. On the 622b especially, the shell is not gonna fit properly into everyone's cymba. I get pain on one side after an extended period of time. the 54E is a bit smaller in that regard and easier to fit.

That is so true since 54E (5BA + 4EST) and their upcoming 74E (7BA + 4EST) have a more compact internal driver config and shell design in comparison to 622B (6BA + 2EST + 2BCD). I mean, 622B still has a comfortable shell fit (at least to my ears), but might not fit every ear as comfortably as 54E and 74E.

As an example, here is 74E next to 622B:

1713840335727.png

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #87,335 of 88,290
I see many people coming to try STORM because it's hyped as "The best IEM", which is simply not true. As a result, many people demoed it and had preconceptions and super high expectations of what they personally perceive as what "The best IEM" would sound like. Some were impressed, some were utterly disappointed. So do try it with an open mind, experience it as it is and let it show you what it can do. If it works for you then awesome, if not, plenty of other choices out there, such is the joy of living in the golden era of IEMs!

It also has to do with the source and the cable used to demo the Storm. At the CanJam NYC '23 when @Chang was just a visitor in the crowd, someone at the show asked me to hear the Storm with its stock cable, and while I only had LPGT on hand with me (not the best pair-up synergy). Tbh, it wasn't as impressive as it turned out to be this year at CanJam NYC '24 when it was suited with Sovereign Symphony upgrade cable and driven from PB5 amp at Subtonic/NightJar table. That made a big difference!

canjam_nyc-2024-101-Subtonic_NightJar-04.jpg canjam_nyc-2024-102-Subtonic_NightJar-05.jpg

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #87,337 of 88,290
It also has to do with the source and the cable used to demo the Storm. At the CanJam NYC '23 when @Chang was just a visitor in the crowd, someone at the show asked me to hear the Storm with its stock cable, and while I only had LPGT on hand with me (not the best pair-up synergy). Tbh, it wasn't as impressive as it turned out to be this year at CanJam NYC '24 when it was suited with Sovereign Symphony upgrade cable and driven from PB5 amp at Subtonic/NightJar table. That made a big difference!

Source is unfortunately crucial with Storm. It does require a big driving power and good pair up would be the 320max or the N30LE, PB5 is also excellent! Sovereign Symphony definitely gives a bigger stage, more definition, texture, technicality and space! It's a great cable!

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #87,338 of 88,290
For TGX earbuds owners here, I have a stupid question for you: I got my Revelsoke a few weeks ago, and it is staying in the box for most of the time since I cannot make it stay in my ears. The sound quality is good, especially if you try to push the earbuds closer to your ears, the bass is also becoming very impactful. But it just constantly falling out of my ears.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #87,339 of 88,290
Yes, but in other hand we've got these two guys, that have inside:
1 11,5mm dynamic driver
1 8mm AMT driver
1 MEMS driver
2 Sonion EXT drivers
Without crossover and additional amplification.
They provide one of the most addicting Mid's presentations I've ever listened in my life with iems.

Again, I’m not saying that design is necessary for the driver config. You can always just slap a passive crossover on it, give it a 2-pin connector and call it a day. But, it is necessary for what Brise are trying to do. They want an active, 5-way crossover for their IEM, so a proprietary connector is the only way to do it. None of us have heard it, so we don’t know whether that design actually makes it sound great, or if it barely makes a difference. Either way, as far as Brise are concerned, this is an intended design necessitated by their objectives, rather than an egregious, proprietary standard that could’ve easily been replaced with MMCX or something.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #87,340 of 88,290
The 622B got real painful for me real quick. First time I’ve been forced to sell due to discomfort alone. Might add the 54 at some point. Tried that briefly and I think that one would be fine for my ears.

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #87,341 of 88,290
What do you dislike about Raven? I wonder what I may be missing in my Volur evaluation. Also I recall Onyx may make the cut for you. How does it compare to Raven and Volur? Onyx has me curious.
I thought Raven was out of balance because its huge bass shelf that took away the focus from its great mids and treble.

Volür I found slightly thick in the bass (m12), mids a bit veiled and 2 dimensional, and treble to be lacking the last bit of air.

Onyx' bass is too thick for me and lacks definition because of it. It also came across bright, but the rest was awesome.

Hmm, you didn't like Noble's Spartacus? Granted, it's not DD, but I felt that the dual BCDs did a pretty good job with the low end. In fact, I remember thinking to myself Joop might like this one! :smile:
Haven't heard Spartacus unfortunately so I can't tell.

drftr

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #87,342 of 88,290
It is simply not "The Best" IEM. I think you got that it was just considered and hyped that way by many, hence the title of the youtube video.
The best IEM is the one that moves you, that gives exhilarating experience, and goosebumps when you listen to it, and that is personal to everyone, it always will be.

Storm's BA Bass is a great bass, its quality and tactility to me surpasses many 'bad' DD bass, but a 'great' DD bass still reigns supreme simply because of its form factor. BA won't be able to replicate it perfectly, in fact no idea if it ever will.
Do give Storm a try, it is worth the experience, but please also bear in mind that Storm was designed for a specific sound presentation, that is to recreate a reference near-field studio monitors in IEM form. In this case, Storm is an impressive IEM bred to fulfill such vision.

I see many people coming to try STORM because it's hyped as "The best IEM", which is simply not true. As a result, many people demoed it and had preconceptions and super high expectations of what they personally perceive as what "The best IEM" would sound like. Some were impressed, some were utterly disappointed. So do try it with an open mind, experience it as it is and let it show you what it can do. If it works for you then awesome, if not, plenty of other choices out there, such is the joy of living in the golden era of IEMs!
100% . Trust your taste and ear. For example there is something better than Storm like G.... Nevermind. *run*:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I thought Raven was out of balance because its huge bass shelf that took away the focus from its great mids and treble.

Volür I found slightly thick in the bass (m12), mids a bit veiled and 2 dimensional, and treble to be lacking the last bit of air.

Onyx' bass is too thick for me and lacks definition because of it. It also came across bright, but the rest was awesome.

Haven't heard Spartacus unfortunately so I can't tell.

drftr
May i join in. I find Raven bass bleeding into the mids and i dont like it. also subjectively i always tend to like iem with jack of all trade type for any genre. Volur is great its just the sound signature of 64audio never resonate with me but the shell i love it the color scheme and look of Volur is one of the best for me.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #87,343 of 88,290
The @Craft Ears Omnium are such excellent in-ear monitors.

1000002285.jpg

I bought it blind after coming across its FR, because it isn't your typical run-of-the-mill Harman fare and I also imagined I would like it if it sounds anything like it graphs.

Well I do like it for a whole lot of reasons including the fact that drums sound so tactile and realistic; the incredible resolution even for the price of EUR 2300; and that despite having varied driver technologies, the overall sound is so damn cohesive and whole. I am sure the ZM2 plus PB5 chain also plays a part. 😉

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #87,344 of 88,290
Brise Audio FUGAKU IEMs system's estimated price is ¥2,500,000 (USD $16,500)

https://briseaudio.com/en/pages/fugaku

This could potentially destroy some company's (such as Unique Melody UM) bling business model and hype marketing with their ultra expensive stuff, whereby rich non-audiophiles buy them simply for the sake of wearing the most expensive 'earphones / earrings' 🙈

And YES, those high net worth individuals actually look to buy Earphones, not IEMs (because they do not know what the term means).. trust me I know enough of them to be able to see the trend.. LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back