The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 28, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #8,611 of 88,423
I have a "master playlist" that has existed continuously in one or another form for about the last 20 years. Every season or so I'll comb through it and remove songs I'm tired of and add new ones...sometimes re-adding down the road sometimes not. I have a variety of means of hearing new music but if I like something enough I'll search it out in flac form and add it to the list. This playlist is thus a collection of songs ranging from those I've just discovered to those that have been in my life for most of it-- it's a great way of balancing the new with the old favorites.

Here is a song that has been in my playlist for the last 20 years continuously:

And one I just added today:

Really enjoying the Zen Pro + RU6 this morning!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #8,612 of 88,423
Huge FOMO with all of this RU6 talk but I'm going to exit 2021 with a final act of restraint and hold off!
You are not missing anything owning R01. Its quite a bit better than RU6. NOS on RU6 is nice for some special recordings, but otherwise I don’t really reach for it.

RU6 is a slightly less transparent signature with smaller staging and lesser quality layering. And should be given the price differential.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #8,613 of 88,423
I have a "master playlist" that has existed continuously in one for another for about the last 20 years. Every season or so I'll comb through it and remove songs I'm tired of and add new ones...sometimes re-adding down the road sometimes not. I have a variety of means of hearing new music but if I like something enough I'll search it out in flac form and add it to the list. This playlist is thus a collection of songs ranging from those I've just discovered to those that have been in my life for most of it-- it's a great way of balancing the new with the old favorites.

Here is a song that has been in my playlist for the last 20 years continuously:

And one I just added today:

Really enjoying the Zen Pro + RU6 this morning!

Crazy talk perhaps but a part of me is hoping the U12t doesn't deliver for me timbre-wise and I can pick up some single DD goodness. You're one of the best ambassadors I know (well... anyone completely pales by the Master of Shameless Plugging @Ace Bee of course...😁) and it's hard to resist that combi just because of your love for 'em!

drftr

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #8,614 of 88,423
You are not missing anything owning R01. Its quite a bit better than RU6. NOS on RU6 is nice for some special recordings, but otherwise I don’t really reach for it.

RU6 is a slightly less transparent signature with smaller staging and lesser quality layering. And should be given the price differential.

Ok that's good to know, thank you! I'm actually very happy anyway with W2. The dongle use-case for me is listening via my MacBook - I was debating RU6 in that context too but I definitely don't need it, especially with Gryphon on the way.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #8,616 of 88,423
Crazy talk perhaps but a part of me is hoping the U12t doesn't deliver for me timbre-wise and I can pick up some single DD goodness. You're one of the best ambassadors I know (well... anyone completely pales by the Master of Shameless Plugging @Ace Bee of course...😁) and it's hard to resist that combi just because of your love for 'em!

drftr

The Shure SE215 was my first and only real IEM from about 2012 - 2018 and I've wondered if it played a role in acclimatizing me to the DD sound because starting with the Campfire Comet-- my first toe dipping into this current phase of my hobbying in 2019-- I've never been able to settle with BA timbre...and I've heard some of the greatest BA IEMs there are. At first I thought I just needed DD bass but since experiencing the Elysium and the concomitant realization that the mid-range is the FR band I'm most particular about I've not been able to long tolerate anything less than DD mids. This just places me on the "timbre" side of the "timbre or technicalities" question and as with all things here YMMV.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #8,617 of 88,423
Ok that's good to know, thank you! I'm actually very happy anyway with W2. The dongle use-case for me is listening via my MacBook - I was debating RU6 in that context too but I definitely don't need it, especially with Gryphon on the way.
If you ever need a good dongle solution though, its one of, if not the best choice out there. (For my preferences anyway)

I bought because I wanted something to fall back on in case anything happened to my Ti. The fear was real, and replacing the Ti may be a challenge in the future.

I in no way was let down by the RU6. It surpassed my expectations completely.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #8,618 of 88,423
If you ever need a good dongle solution though, its one of, if not the best choice out there. (For my preferences anyway)

I bought because I wanted something to fall back on in case anything happened to my Ti. The fear was real, and replacing the Ti may be a challenge in the future.

I in no way was let down by the RU6. It surpassed my expectations completely.

Yeah I think I will add it at some point but just no need to jump in now - no doubt (as per W2) it will be on sale in the near future.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #8,619 of 88,423
I struggle with this. Inevitably end up listening to the old reliables.

Do you listen to new genres or just just listen to tracks recommend from what you are listening to?
Track Radio in Tidal is fantastic. What it will do is take the track you pick and play music both from your favorites and music like it. So, you get about a 50/50 fix of your favorites along with new music. And, the choices work for me.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #8,620 of 88,423
The Shure SE215 was my first and only real IEM from about 2012 - 2018 and I've wondered if it played a role in acclimatizing me to the DD sound because starting with the Campfire Comet-- my first toe dipping into this current phase of my hobbying in 2019-- I've never been able to settle with BA timbre...and I've heard some of the greatest BA IEMs there are. At first I thought I just needed DD bass but since experiencing the Elysium and the concomitant realization that the mid-range is the FR band I'm most particular about I've not been able to long tolerate anything less than DD mids. This just places me on the "timbre" side of the "timbre or technicalities" question and as with all things here YMMV.
I was debating with Jeremey and Todd a few days ago that if my experiment doesn't work out (I'm doing something completely contrary to my current taste) the rest of my journey will be an uneasy one. I mean, stepping up the game in all-BA world in the case the U12t doesn't cut it for me probably means Traillii territory; while if I want to go back to single DD after being used to U12t technicalities what is there really? A8000 would be way too bright for me, and the step back to the $600 zone would probably mean a hard reset of my brain. So I would either have to cross my fingers for a Dunu Pro that delivers more in the low end, or starting a journey through hybrid+ territory.

Much cheaper doing my best liking the t! I'm extremely interested in what an all-BA setup can deliver so that definitely helps. And if all else fails I'll simply be looking for the one with the biggest shoulders within 5 meters from the cooler. Easy-peasy!

drftr

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #8,621 of 88,423

drftr
Then I would highly recommend Oriolus Isabellae as your companion IEM.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #8,622 of 88,423

drftr

I'n not trying to stir any pots or anything but I'm sitting here totally enraptured by this Zen Pro + RU6 combo and I think if you wind up ever pursuing a single DD again this one gets my vote for being super neutral and a perfect blend of musical and technical-- I've not heard another single DD that can compete with the Zen Pro on this front. RE the metallic timbre & upper mid energy that has been discussed-- I get it a little with the M8, less with the SR25ii but I second @Stuff Jones impression that it's totally absent with the RU6.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #8,623 of 88,423
I was debating with Jeremey and Todd a few days ago that if my experiment doesn't work out (I'm doing something completely contrary to my current taste) the rest of my journey will be an uneasy one. I mean, stepping up the game in all-BA world in the case the U12t doesn't cut it for me probably means Traillii territory; while if I want to go back to single DD after being used to U12t technicalities what is there really? A8000 would be way too bright for me, and the step back to the $600 zone would probably mean a hard reset of my brain. So I would either have to cross my fingers for a Dunu Pro that delivers more in the low end, or starting a journey through hybrid+ territory.

Much cheaper doing my best liking the t! I'm extremely interested in what an all-BA setup can deliver so that definitely helps. And if all else fails I'll simply be looking for the one with the biggest shoulders within 5 meters from the cooler. Easy-peasy!

drftr
I see you bought an RU6. Congrats. Based on your use case, I would buy some extra USB to lighting cables (or USB-C if you have an Android device). That's because they wear out pretty quickly.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #8,625 of 88,423
I bet 25% would recommend Isa, 25% Zen Pro, 25% FD7, 12.5% Turii, and 12.5% Splash Of Red! Life has never been easier! 🤢

drftr
Then you need to buy them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back