The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 27, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #8,521 of 87,972
Come on you know you want to try it and it's discounted too... :wink:

Yeah but I want to try also Focus EDM that should have less sharper mids/highs and higher basshead level😅
I don’t have a basshead iem…
Here watermelon boi review https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/focus-audio-vocal.24145/

67C32264-59B8-4E22-B036-63240762B3EB.jpeg

B40EFC6C-E4E0-47AA-BCA7-ED03531C0A1C.jpeg
38A4191A-3046-4116-B0D4-3F986DA7510E.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #8,522 of 87,972
Come on you know you want to try it and it's discounted too... :wink:

1640646138690.png
Hey David,

How do you feel about your Volt CIEM now that you've had it for a while? Do they still sound as good as your initial impressions? Especially useful if you can compare a little relative to your Elysium. I'm finally willing to get back into CIEMs after an early negative experience with JH Audio's entry level models, and the Volt is at the top of the pile for me.

Dec 27, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #8,523 of 87,972
Yeah but I want to try also Focus EDM that should have less sharper mids/highs and higher basshead level😅
I don’t have a basshead iem…

7Hz isn’t afraid of pinna gain that’s for sure.

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #8,524 of 87,972
Sounds more like a source/amp problem? Usually when you notice that if you have to turn up the volume, it’s because the source or amp can’t keep up. And if you turn up the volume this leads to fatigue.

Generally this is what I’ve found with lower quality sources/amps.

My priorities are different than most ppl in this chat due to my 2 channel experience. My focus is on source/amp first, then the speaker/iem.
No no, that's not what I'm referring to here (tnx for the response though!). I'm basically saying that totally independent from the source or whatever there is an optimum volume for each and every album that makes everything exactly fall into place. Lowering the volume ever so slightly leaves out the kick, while increasing volume by just a notch I can't stand it (slightly exaggerated but not by much).

drftr

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #8,525 of 87,972
@Precogvision @tgx78 @Rockwell75 @Damz87 + a bunch of others but I can't exactly remember...

I just heard back from 64 Audio re a possible new U12t tuning and this was their response:

"We have only had one design for the U12t. There is an older product, the U12, which did have a different design. The U12t however has not changed the design since launch."

EDIT: Seeing just now that they use the word design a couple of times, which can be interpreted in multiple ways. Rest assured that I asked "...is the newer U12t tuned in a different way than the older one?"

drftr

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #8,526 of 87,972
I am finally ready to publish my
@Precogvision @tgx78 @Rockwell75 @Damz87 + a bunch of others but I can't exactly remember...

I just heard back from 64 Audio re a possible new U12t tuning and this was their response:

"We have only had one design for the U12t. There is an older product, the U12, which did have a different design. The U12t however has not changed the design since launch."

EDIT: Seeing just now that they use the word design a couple of times, which can be interpreted in multiple ways. Rest assured that I asked "...is the newer U12t tuned in a different way than the older one?"

drftr
Sounds like what we are seeing in the FR response is unit variation then. No reason for them to tell us a lie if they changed the tuning. The U12t is legendary.

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #8,527 of 87,972
Speaking of single DDs, anyone heard the Lotoo LE-M1?

Also, I've reacquired the IE900. Still prefer the Dark Sky, but really enjoying the fit of IE900. I discovered my preferred Sony tips work with the 2-step system on the IE900 nozzles.
I've got them when Lotoo sent over their PAW 1 recorder for feedback and review. I'll be covering them with the recorder soon.

drftr
Design would strongly imply the drivers used, the crossover components, tube lengths, etc. So, essentially, they're claiming that a retune hasn't occurred. It's likely that small shifts like the ones shown here could've been down to unit variance. There could also be a case where a driver model they've used has perhaps been discontinued, so they've swapped it out for another that's from the same family, but slightly different. Though, given how recent the U12t still is, that's rather unlikely. If you're that curious, you could always send one of the new and old units each to a resheller (like, say, itsfit or @fionalab666 on Instagram), ask them to open them up to compare, then have them put them back together. It'll certainly cost you, but that's the price of knowledge. :wink:

Dec 27, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #8,528 of 87,972
It's likely that small shifts like the ones shown here could've been down to unit variance
That was exactly my expectation a few days ago when seeing the different measurements among units, while there was a bigger difference between L+R channels of some specific unit(s). However, there was only one way to debunk the rumours. I guess now we know.

drftr

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #8,530 of 87,972
I finally got around to the much needed update to the Thread Index...lots of great impressions & content by many of you. It was a lot to go through and I may have missed some stuff.

Miss this day!

I know this is a thread for high end folks

It's not gear that makes you high end in this thread!

I like this video because it shows the various different ways people use the same term.

I have a lot of respect for Resolve as a reviewer but I disagree with a lot of this-- he's ranking the words based on people's capacity to misunderstand them, and not according to the actual meanings or usefulness of the words themselves...which seems misguided to me. Just because people who don't know what resolution means misuse the term doesn't make it any less useful as a descriptor to someone who does. It's almost as though he wants to limit our capacity to describe sound to what can be read off a measurement rig or an FR graph. As with all things, YMMV.

This audiophile dictionary was much more helpful to me and finding it was one of my defining 2021 audio moments.

In other news I made some lego today.

2579859A-1713-42CD-949E-E09F283AB235.JPEG

I watched the last few episodes of season 2 of Mandalorian while I put it together and was reminded what masterful piece of storytelling that was. The final act of the final episode still stands as the best thing I've ever seen on a screen since I saw Darth Vader redeemed in the final act of Return of the Jedi in 1983.

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #8,531 of 87,972
QQ for the W2 / S2 / RU6 crowd:

If I were to consider a DAP with a comparable SQ instead, how much would I have to fork over as a minimum?

drftr

As someone who travels a lot you should consider the AKSR25ii - it packs a punch, has a smooth, natural and resolving sound, is very compact and has battery life for days.

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #8,532 of 87,972
I finally got around to the much needed update to the Thread Index...lots of great impressions & content by many of you. It was a lot to go through and I may have missed some stuff.

Miss this day!

It's not gear that makes you high end in this thread!

I have a lot of respect for Resolve as a reviewer but I disagree with a lot of this-- he's ranking the words based on people's capacity to misunderstand them, and not according to the actual meanings or usefulness of the words themselves...which seems misguided to me. Just because people who don't know what resolution means misuse the term doesn't make it any less useful as a descriptor to someone who does. It's almost as though he wants to limit our capacity to describe sound to what can be read off a measurement rig or an FR graph. As with all things, YMMV.

This audiophile dictionary was much more helpful to me and finding it was one of my defining 2021 audio moments.

In other news I made some lego today.

I watched the last few episodes of season 2 of Mandalorian while I put it together and was reminded what masterful piece of storytelling that was. The final act of the final episode still stands as the best thing I've ever seen on a screen since I saw Darth Vader redeemed in the final act of Return of the Jedi in 1983.
Damn Rock!! You were hella busy today!! This is impressive and so helpful!! I am so thankful for all the time you put into indexing the thread!! Props to you!

And the Lego kit looks amazing! Go ROCK!!!

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #8,533 of 87,972
As someone who travels a lot you should consider the AKSR25ii - it packs a punch, has a smooth, natural and resolving sound, is very compact and has battery life for days.
Looked in to it today! But I think I prefer to be guided by SQ alone at this point as from a practical point of view there's many pros and cons. Among them is that an SR25ii is 10 times bigger and heavier, 3 times more expensive, etc. So I would want to start at the basics first and then see what practical issues it would solve at the same time. Hope that makes sense for much more experienced users than I am.

drftr

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #8,534 of 87,972
QQ for the W2 / S2 / RU6 crowd:

If I were to consider a DAP with a comparable SQ instead, how much would I have to fork over as a minimum?

drftr
I only have experience with a few DAPs. iBasso, DX160, DX300 and Hiby R6 2020. I just bought the RS6. I think these DACs are better than the DX160 and R6. I think DX300 and RU6 are pretty equivalent in sound quality. These are midfi DAPs. So, I think you need to go $1200 to get comparable sound quality. But, you don't need to buy a smartphone.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #8,535 of 87,972
In the dying days of 2021 what's in your cart? Up until this morning all I had was a second set of Sednafit Crystals in mine...but I took the plunge so my cart is empty. It may wind up being the final purchase of the year for me. The fact that I'm not confident enough to say anything stronger than "may" at this late December date is kind of hilarious...but it is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back