The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 21, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #7,801 of 88,341
Do you use UAPP or another 3rd party player by chance?
Nobody beats Sony in battery life.

I'm using the Hiby app that was pre-installed, it loaded album art which the Cayin app didn't for some reason.

Just seems to eat the battery compared to the 1A, I had it fully charged at lunchtime, I've probably listened for 2 hours and down to 65%. But yeah, I know the Sony battery performance is exceptional.

Dec 21, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #7,802 of 88,341
I'm using the Hiby app that was pre-installed, it loaded album art which the Cayin app didn't for some reason.

Just seems to eat the battery compared to the 1A, I had it fully charged at lunchtime, I've probably listened for 2 hours and down to 65%. But yeah, I know the Sony battery performance is exceptional.
That drain is a little aggressive.
It should be around 10% every hour on redbook stuff. Slightly worse on Hi-res, and worse still on streamed Hi-res. Using UAPP is a battery saver for streaming for me. You don't have to have the players proc deal with the superfluous animation app garbage.

On the flip side, charging up on QC 3.0 is super fast (at least compared to the M8 I had when I was testing, even taking into account the battery capacity differences)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #7,803 of 88,341
Looking forward to my Gryphon by the way, my first iFi product and very excited to try it!
Hey, that's great to hear! Please feel free to let us know how you like it and welcome to the family :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 21, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #7,805 of 88,341

My cayin is the same. If your not streaming, switch off WiFi and Bluetooth. However, the Sony’s battery life leave other players in the dust

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #7,806 of 88,341
Don't think anyone answered this, but if so, sorry for just repeating.

B-stock are usually new, but have cosmetic defects from manufacturing. They otherwise sound fine though. They aren't sold as new for obvious reasons because nobody would be happy receiving a full priced item that wasn't in new condition.

They are a good buy if you don't want to take the chance on something used, but also don't care about them looking perfect.
...and sometimes not so obvious reasons. I picked up my U6t B-stock during the BF sale, and after a month of careful study, I still have no idea what the cosmetic 'blemish' is that makes them B-stock.

Part of me thinks that 64audio just wanted to move a bunch of product during that BF sale and put B-Stock stickers on a bunch of otherwise A-stock boxes.

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #7,807 of 88,341
PXL_20211221_222638123.jpg

This is nice. :)

Dec 21, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #7,808 of 88,341
apparently zero BA character

Now there's a YMMV statement if ever there was one. "Zero BA character" to someone who doesn't mind BA character all that much is a vastly different statement than it is to someone who is particularly sensitive to it. I don't think there are any BA sets out there that will pass the sniff test to those of us who love DD timbre. Timeless is the closest non BA set I've heard and even that doesn't close all the gaps...YMMV etc.

I hear you. It's much better to be able to audition. But I bought all of my IEMs sans demo and apart from one I wasn't disappointed with neither. So I think if you can read between the lines, you can get a decent idea of what you are going to get. Some here are very capable of depicting the sound , which is not an easy task at all.
Re U18s I think it's no coincidence there's much less talk of it compared to U12t, and I think it's not because of prize. Just my 2c

I'm in a similar boat...not everything has been a win for me but the vast majority have...and it's thanks entirely to great info from communities like this. Without them finding great gear would be akin to searching for a needle in a haystack...especially now.

Contrary to most I want the least sexy sounding IEMs out there and thought these could be it. Perhaps the total lack of attention is actually proof the U18s could be exactly that? I may or may not find out.

Unless you've got a particular fixation on DD timbre...in which case there is no adequate substitute on the market at the moment...then I think the u12t may actually be the IEM you want.

Now, who is going to kill me if I try to hunt down a U12t?

Nobody...but I might mutter a gentle hex in your general direction if you don't bite the bullet and plunge on something soon :p

(probably was the final mail in the coffin for my belief in a god)

Really? I want to ask...but perhaps this is one topic we should steer clear of here at the 'cooler...though it is arguably my favorite topic to philosophize about.

Probably the best I have heard.

Audio Ark - Edmonton, Canada. September 5th, 2017.

Plasma Tweeter. 🤯

That is an audacious looking piece of gear.

One way to deal with battery drain on Android devices is to enable all permissions...it's counter-intuitive but it cleared all issues for me.

In other news en route to Vancouver with my little furry prisoners:

IMG_7089.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #7,809 of 88,341
Now there's a YMMV statement if ever there was one. "Zero BA character" to someone who doesn't mind BA character all that much is a vastly different statement to someone who's particularly sensitive to it. I don't think there are any BA sets out there that will pass the sniff test to those of us who love DD timbre. Timeless is the closest non BA set I've heard and even that doesn't close all the gaps...YMMV etc.

I'm in a similar boat...not everything has been a win for me but the vast majority have...and it's thanks entirely to great info from communities like this. Without them finding great gear would be akin to searching for a needle in a haystack...especially now.

Unless you've got a particular fixation on DD timbre...in which case there is no adequate substitute on the market at the moment...then I think the u12t may actually be the IEM you want.

Nobody...but I might mutter a gentle hex in your general direction if you don't bite the bullet and plunge on something soon :p

Really? I want to ask...but perhaps this is one topic we should steer clear of here at the 'cooler...though it is arguably my favorite topic to philosophize about.

One way to deal with battery drain on Android devices is to enable all permissions...it's counter-intuitive but it cleared all issues for me.

IMG_7089.JPG

I'll check that setting now, cheers. There were a whole heap of steps for improving battery on the ZX507, the two obvious being turning off Bluetooth and WiFi - I must check the others as likely applicable here too. The ZX507 drains about as quickly but faster to charge.

Safe travels to Vancouver!

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #7,810 of 88,341
Now there's a YMMV statement if ever there was one. "Zero BA character" to someone who doesn't mind BA character all that much is a vastly different statement than it is to someone who is particularly sensitive to it. I don't think there are any BA sets out there that will pass the sniff test to those of us who love DD timbre. Timeless is the closest non BA set I've heard and even that doesn't close all the gaps...YMMV etc.

0B9FE7D9-AF96-420B-BFA5-96BF434FE76F.jpeg

Must be departing from Nanaimo ferry terminal to arrive at Horseshoe Bay.
Safe travels.

I love watching the ferry’s wake while crossing strait of georgia.

8A5657C9-69E2-4595-B5D2-B3DEE7277FD6.jpeg

Gathering some stuff for you lol.

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #7,811 of 88,341
0B9FE7D9-AF96-420B-BFA5-96BF434FE76F.jpeg

Must be departing from Nanaimo ferry terminal to arrive at Horseshoe Bay.
Safe travels.

I love watching the ferry’s wake while crossing strait of georgia.

8A5657C9-69E2-4595-B5D2-B3DEE7277FD6.jpeg
Gathering some stuff for you lol.

Wish I could double like this haha...can't wait!

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #7,812 of 88,341
Andromeda_Timestamp.jpg

There's a Pacific Blue Andro for sale in the classifieds and I'm tempted to pick it up on a lark. I've always wanted to hear the OG Andro in some detail and this one is my favorite incarnation of it.

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #7,813 of 88,341
@drftr now that I sit here listening to them I’d say there’s an even-money shot you could be totally happy with the Timeless. Before blind buying something for $2K you owe it to yourself to try one.

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #7,814 of 88,341
@drftr now that I sit here listening to them I’d say there’s an even-money shot you could be totally happy with the Timeless. Before blind buying something for $2K you owe it to yourself to try one.
I’ve been telling him!!

He’s hung up on the QC issues tho. Which makes sense considering he is traveling and return, etc would be a PITA

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #7,815 of 88,341
I’ve been telling him!!

He’s hung up on the QC issues tho. Which makes sense considering he is traveling and return, etc would be a PITA

Yeah I intend to buy also but I'll wait till Amazon have them back in stock for absolute peace of mind. Showing January 6th for Amazon UK and I'm relatively OK waiting till then 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back