The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 20, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #7,666 of 89,896
So... I have set the Timeless on burn in for a good 6 hours and picking it up... what the hell!

I had a nice time with it with the sound OOB but this is just such an incredible sounding unit that the thoughts or offering a pair to several non audiophile friends occurred to me... such an impressive pair the hype is real! I hear a fuller sounding unit and the few edges I initially heard have smoothened out. Thanks for bringing me into that hype train lol. Can't imagine what kind of rabbit hole I'll go with DCA Stealth next lol....

Need to try it with the Go Blu as I am running this baby on M17 in desktop mode and it seems to like power runing it with Enhanced over ear mode at 50/120. I have a hard time reconciling the price with the performance or the form factor for that matter. I would love to put LCD-i4 for an A/B... I didn't have the same source back then but still... OMG.

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #7,667 of 89,896
So... I have set the Timeless on burn in for a good 6 hours and picking it up... what the hell!

I had a nice time with it with the sound OOB but this is just such an incredible sounding unit that the thoughts or offering a pair to several non audiophile friends occurred to me... such an impressive pair the hype is real! I hear a fuller sounding unit and the few edges I initially heard have smoothened out. Thanks for bringing me into that hype train lol. Can't imagine what kind of rabbit hole I'll go with DCA Stealth next lol....

Need to try it with the Go Blu as I am running this baby on M17 in desktop mode and it seems to like power runing it with Enhanced over ear mode at 50/120. I have a hard time reconciling the price with the performance or the form factor for that matter. I would love to put LCD-i4 for an A/B... I didn't have the same source back then but still... OMG.

Yeah if Timeless represents the entry level version of what that type of driver is capable of then a $1K version scaled up accordingly with better build quality, equally great tuning and some of the few kinks ironed out will slay everything on the market.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #7,668 of 89,896
Yeah if Timeless represents the entry level version of that that type of driver is capable of then a $1K version scaled up accordingly with better build quality, equally great tuning and some of the few kinks ironed out will slay everything on the market.
This is what I’m hoping for! I would purchase in a heart beat

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #7,670 of 89,896
Yeah if Timeless represents the entry level version of what that type of driver is capable of then a $1K version scaled up accordingly with better build quality, equally great tuning and some of the few kinks ironed out will slay everything on the market.
Yeah too bad upper segments of the planars is all Audeze.... my very first review was RHA CL2, which unfortunately had harsh upper mids... then my most expensive purchase was LCD-i4 but the fit was horrendous and tuning had quirks for an item this higher up the tier... but I still find myself craving some planar goodness

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #7,671 of 89,896
The double edged sword is the lower priced ones are usually worth more to you to keep than what you can get by selling them.

I think that goes for more expensive models too. You could buy like 80% of my IEM collection with what some people lost selling their purchased-new Birds.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #7,672 of 89,896
Now that is something I might consider, although I've already got 2 planar headphones that don't need to be replaced any time soon. But if I could take some of that magic with me in an IEM form factor, then yeah.

In the meantime, I'm happy enough to live vicariously through y'all enjoyment of the Timeless, still cheap at twice the price. :wink:

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #7,675 of 89,896
Probably Susvara

I just looked it up-- same price as the bird. Funny that...but I imagine you'd have to spend about the same amount on a proper source to get the most of it. Still though...I'm going to a headphone shop later this week for the first time in a couple years...will see about trying one of these out.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #7,676 of 89,896
I just looked it up-- same price as the bird. Funny that...but I imagine you'd have to spend about the same amount on a proper source to get the most of it. Still though...I'm going to a headphone shop later this week for the first time in a couple years...will see about trying one of these out.

Susvara is pretty awesome. I had one for about a week and then sold it bc I’m 110% an IEM guy.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #7,677 of 89,896
Travis used to have a demo Susvara in his shop.
Not sure if he still carries it, but omg it sounded so good when I auditioned it few years ago.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #7,678 of 89,896
Travis used to have a demo Susvara in his shop.
Not sure if he still carries it, but omg it sounded so good when I auditioned it few years ago.

Yup he carries both Hifiman and Audeze-- it's going to be a treat to visit his shop again. Incidentally the last time I was in Headphone Bar in person was two years ago today (Dec 20, 2019) when I picked up my Solaris SE. Those were simpler times.

20191225_112710.jpg

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #7,679 of 89,896
I would pick headphones over IEMs if they were more portable. I haven't found any top quality headphones where the handband can be folded, which would be the part to break while travelling. I've seen 1 or 2 where the earpeaces can be folded inward but I don't think that's foolproof enough. Should anyone know of such a thing please let me know.

drftr

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #7,680 of 89,896
I would pick headphones over IEMs if they were more portable. I haven't found any top quality headphones where the handband can be folded, which would be the part to break while travelling. I've seen 1 or 2 where the earpeaces can be folded inward but I don't think that's foolproof enough. Should anyone know of such a thing please let me know.

drftr
Hard to get isolation with headphones you end up closed back and need noise cancelation.
Personally I like the sound from an IEM a little better, it is not the same at all. Headphones open up a lot more space. IEMs create a lot more intimacy. For me anyway.

Headphones are great when stationary in a quiet place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back