The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #7,636 of 91,357
Regarding the scandals, it was before my time here. And there's been extensive posts in the IMR thread defending Bob in this. I'm just not sure where to stand really on this.

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #7,637 of 91,357
@Rockwell75

The only thing that has prevented me from buying the Isabella is my concern for the fit. It looks like the kind of IEM that will not fit into my small strange ears.

After you said the above this weird thought flashed into my mind: "if he likes them and his earlet ears can handle them maybe I'll sell them to him". I then swapped out M8 + Dorado to SR25ii + Isa and immediately another thought flashed through my mind as Isa's sweet and intimate yet ballsy & seductively natural tonality washed over me: "there's no way I'm selling these"...lol. I do think you'll like them though...reasonably priced and they make a nice DD counterpart to Andro. Isolation is sh1t though, which is about their only real drawback to me.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #7,638 of 91,357
I know it's popular to dislike IMR... I for one have nothing but good things to say about the customer service and the Rah are one very fine set of IEMs for sure (and one of the biggest sounstage in any IEMs)... Bob does unique stuff and knows his way tuning IEMs. Rah is probably the only piezo ceramic treble that is good.

Yes it's short and limited runs... yes Bob does experiment with stuff... and also the filters make it hard to compare between users... as any one man boutique it's bound to have its limits (not unlike Spiral Ears or Rhapsodio for that matter). Of course YMMV but build, tuning and customer service is excellent IMHO at least from my experience.

Just my 2 cents...
Costumer service has been great in my experience too.

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #7,639 of 91,357
Regarding the scandals, it was before my time here. And there's been extensive posts in the IMR thread defending Bob in this. I'm just not sure where to stand really on this.
I wouldn't worry about taking a stand one way or another. As long as IMR is delivering products and providing value to you, then that's great and I hope nobody would try to convince you that you are wrong for spending your money with them.

I think at this point IMR has likely been around loner than Trinity ever was, and does not seem to have any of the same issues as Trinity (other than maybe some product delays) and a similar business style. I personally just won't buy from them because of that and their past, that's all. You do you.

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #7,640 of 91,357
I wouldn't worry about taking a stand one way or another. As long as IMR is delivering products and providing value to you, then that's great and I hope nobody would try to convince you that you are wrong for spending your money with them.

I think at this point IMR has likely been around loner than Trinity ever was, and does not seem to have any of the same issues as Trinity (other than maybe some product delays) and a similar business style. I personally just won't buy from them because of that and their past, that's all. You do you.
I appreciate you saying this.
And I totally get it if you or anyone else doesn't want to support IMR or Bob for that matter. It's understandable.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #7,641 of 91,357
I have a really difficult time with fit, even with the Andromeda nozzle. I really benefit from the longer nozzle on the Holocene. Even the Onyx/Honeydew/ect nozzle is almost too short.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #7,642 of 91,357
I have a really difficult time with fit, even with the Andromeda nozzle. I really benefit from the longer nozzle on the Holocene. Even the Onyx/Honeydew/ect nozzle is almost too short.
Have you tried longer tips like the Spinfit C360's that I posted a few days ago? That one for instance leaves about 3 mm between the end of the nozzle and the end/opening of the tips instead of being almost 0 mm. Whether that will impact SQ in a positive or negative way I honestly can't tell. Another option might be using wider but stickier tips to create your support in a different way?

drftr

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #7,643 of 91,357
The SpinFit CP100s are the only tip I have had (other than the foamies) that work for me and the Andromeda. I’ll compare specs but they look to be a similar tip. Thanks for the suggestion.

@drftr

Just checked. Yeah the CP100 and CP145 that I have are 1-2mm longer even!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #7,644 of 91,357
Sorry to spoil the fun but since I'm officially on an indefinite sabbatical from any new IEM/headphone purchases, I'm going to take some time to bed in what I have before I share any sort of thoughts on the matter. Not because I'm not chomping at the bit with excitement (believe me I am), but because I want to enjoy the honeymoon period in private before coming back to play.

Meanwhile I'm working on three reviews in parallel (IEM, DAC/amp and wireless headphones), so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.
Another thing-- I heard the Bravado MKii and was blown away by the new bass driver and the treble. My dream IEM from EE is a LX with the updated WX drivers, e-stats for treble instead of the bone conduction and a midrange presentation consistent with the OG LX. I would be all over that.
Your wishlist is my wishlist. It's pretty much what they did with EVO, except like you I'd switch in a set of quad e-stats and get rid of the treble BAs. I'd also leave Weapon X in there, but relax the upper midrange tuning by 3dB or so and give it a more natural transition into the lower treble.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #7,645 of 91,357
Sitting with a glass of wine, listening to the reissue CD of The Blue Notebooks by Max Richter - through speakers! That's a few times now over the last week and I feel an increasing urge to upgrade my approx. 10 year old Kef Q300's, they've served me well but I've been eyeing up the Kef LS50 Meta now for a while... by the way, my avatar is actually the speaker cone from the Q300.

My man-cave and office, the latter behind where I'm currently sitting.

20211220_225808.jpg

Which reminds me actually of a picture I took earlier this year when I first bought a 1TB MicroSD - I was intrigued when I figured that every CD on the main wall would likely fit in FLAC format on that single card!

FB_IMG_1640041517937.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #7,646 of 91,357
Fat and short nozzles.
Well I do not have small ears though I found the only tips that worked for me with Isa were the stock tips it came with. My normal go to Sedna Large Shorts actually hurt my ear because the shell was too close and pressing.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #7,647 of 91,357
Well I do not have small ears though I found the only tips that worked for me with Isa were the stock tips it came with. My normal go to Sedna Large Shorts actually hurt my ear because the shell was too close and pressing.
Also, a few days ago there was a massive ear tip comparison posted on the Isa thread (or only Traillii?) where fit was a major topic. Not sure if @DanielListening is following those.

drftr

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #7,648 of 91,357
Sitting with a glass of wine, listening to the reissue CD of The Blue Notebooks by Max Richter - through speakers! That's a few times now over the last week and I feel an increasing urge to upgrade my approx. 10 year old Kef Q300's, they've served me well but I've been eyeing up the Kef LS50 Meta now for a while... by the way, my avatar is actually the speaker cone from the Q300.

My man-cave and office, the latter behind where I'm currently sitting.

20211220_225808.jpg

Which reminds me actually of a picture I took earlier this year when I first bought a 1TB MicroSD - I was intrigued when I figured that every CD on the main wall would likely fit in FLAC format on that single card!

FB_IMG_1640041517937.jpg
Would that really work? That's a huuuge cupboard. Compare: I have about 2,000 albums on a 200GB microSD and those are mostly in 192 only :frowning2:

drftr

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #7,650 of 91,357
Would that really work? That's a huuuge cupboard. Compare: I have about 2,000 albums on a 200GB microSD and those are mostly in 192 only :frowning2:

drftr

Yeah if you take an average FLAC album at say 300mb, that would be over 3,000 albums on a 1tb card. I've many 24bit that exceed 300mb, but equally many only 200mb or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back