The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #7,653 of 91,357
Can (remastered versions) + Isabellae + your r-2r of choice = 🤯

Ugh, laptop shut for the night and on my way to bed - I'll be grabbing that tomorrow! I've many great nights listening to Can way back that I can't really remember 😜

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #7,654 of 91,357
Is that the early 70s Can? Or a newer band with the same name?

drftr
In the middle, 1975.
But honestly from late 60's on they are all great sounding on the same equipment. A strange thing for a band to have recordings done so similar for 10+ years.

And also, dang! I meant to post Soon Over Babaluma. That was the real stand out for me. So here it is, sorry.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #7,655 of 91,357
In the middle, 1975.
But honestly from late 60's on they are all great sounding on the same equipment. A strange thing for a band to have recordings done so similar for 10+ years.

And also, dang! I meant to post Soon Over Babaluma. That was the real stand out for me. So here it is, sorry.

I only have a few of their albums, introduced after hearing the spectacular 'Vitamin C' one night maybe 15 years ago. I don't have either of these so definitely time I dip back in again.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #7,656 of 91,357
I popped Isabellae in a few hours ago wondering if I'd have the heart to sell it and I'm sitting here thinking that if it could just isolate a bit better I could live with it, the SR25ii, and nothing else. One of the advantages of pursuing mid-tier $$ IEMs is that no one of them is so expensive that I'll lose sleep or feel guilty if I don't listen to it every day.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #7,657 of 91,357
In the middle, 1975.

Ha! So it is! I listened to Tago Mago last night on my historical prog+ journey :)

For tonight I have Amon Düül and Magma planned. Not the same, but similar enough I think.

drftr

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #7,658 of 91,357
I am going mad thinking of parting ways with my IEMs.
Last time Fourte now Ely.
It's going to stay . It's a poor man's bird and none of the others can do what it does.

The thought that Ely, a $2500 IEM, constitutes a "poor man's" version of another IEM is really sad, really hilarious or simultaneously both.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #7,659 of 91,357
I popped Isabellae in a few hours ago wondering if I'd have the heart to sell it and I'm sitting here thinking that if it could just isolate a bit better I could live with it, the SR25ii, and nothing else. One of the advantages of pursuing mid-tier $$ IEMs is that no one of them is so expensive that I'll lose sleep or feel guilty if I don't listen to it every day.
You would never. You should never either. I'm sure it will feel like an amputation within a day. Don't. Ever.

EDIT: We might drop you from the thread... :xf_cool:

drftr

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #7,661 of 91,357
The thought that Ely, a $2500 IEM, constitutes a "poor man's" version of another IEM is really sad, really hilarious or simultaneously both.
You know what mean, it's all relative afterall. 😉

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #7,662 of 91,357
The double edged sword is the lower priced ones are usually worth more to you to keep than what you can get by selling them.
I'm like that with Isa. Can I REALLY replace this enjoyment with $450.00? I don't think I can with the current stuff out there.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #7,663 of 91,357
You know what mean, it's all relative afterall. 😉

Absolutely-- that wasn't a dig at you it was an existential commentary on the hobby...because what you said is 100% correct.

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #7,664 of 91,357
I know it's popular to dislike IMR... I don't know the back story... people make mistakes, that's a new one...

I for one have nothing but good things to say about the customer service and the Rah are one very fine set of IEMs for sure (and one of the biggest sounstage in any IEMs)... and great value for money too in a stupidly bullish market. Bob does unique stuff and knows his way tuning IEMs. Rah is probably the only piezo ceramic treble that is good.

Yes it's short and limited runs... yes Bob does experiment with stuff (but so does Sammy)... and also the filters make it hard to compare between users... as any one man boutique it's bound to have its limits (not unlike Spiral Ears or Rhapsodio for that matter). Of course YMMV but build, tuning and customer service is excellent IMHO at least from my experience.

Just my 2 cents...
I concur. I once heard the Opus Mia and I hated it with a passion. Since then I thought I will never go near any IMR iem. However, after the Splash Of Red was introduced, I shoot Bob a mail asking for details while citing my misgivings regarding Opus Mia. He assured of a different sound. I bought it.
Once it came, I could detect it had a terrific sound, but also a channel imbalance. Informed Bob, he told me to burn in for a week and then check. I did and checked, it was still there. Informed him. Got a mail next day that a replacement pair had been shipped to me, and to ship my defective units back to him AFTER I receive the replacement units! Suffice to say, I was pleased by his customer service.
My experience with Bob has been nothing but incredible. He's very responsive, and depending upon my taste has advised me to stay away from Dark Matter, penultimate TOTL offering, and instead suggested me the Elan, a much cheaper model. He has not tried to convince me to go for TOTL models.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #7,665 of 91,357
Here's an interesting comparison. Turns out the Timeless is another example of the Rockwell target bass-mids curve. They're certainly alike in their emotional appeal. Timeless wins on resolution but Isa has that nice grippy DD bass that Timeless just can't reproduce. Isabellae is just so damn intimate and seductive...that's he quality that jumped out at me the moment I heard them for the first time and the feeling is just as strong all these months later.

graph-16.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back