The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 18, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #73,981 of 91,357
Azla Sedna Max comes with some silicone rings like them

Aren't they diameter reduction inserts, unless there is some other spacers that I am not seeing ??

1.jpg

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #73,982 of 91,357
Cross positing from FiR

My hospital room isn't the most optimal place for photos, but my custom Electron 12 SwapX faceplates arrived today from FiR Audio. They arrived in a compact carry case with SwapX faceplates held in place by magnets.

I selected Polar Nights with rainbow FiRRY and E12 logos. I think they turned out great, slightly matching the color of the shells, and logos stood out a bit more. The rainbow logos transition between silver and gold based on light reflection.

OG E12 faceplates

IMG_2957.jpeg

SwapX faceplate case

IMG_2959.jpeg

Polar Nights with rainbow FiRRY and E12 logos

IMG_2963.jpeg

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #73,983 of 91,357
How about a desktop amp ranking list in the $1500 (preowned prices are great here) range that works with IEM’s as well?

What do you recommend based on your experiences?
I love my $400 Jot 2! :) Drives my Aryas beautifully.

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #73,985 of 91,357
agreed. some of us just dont like to wear full sized headphones at the desk all the time, especially at the office
there's just much more value in desktop gear
My custom Valkyries sound glorious on my desktop!

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #73,986 of 91,357
Cross positing from FiR

My hospital room isn't the most optimal place for photos, but my custom Electron 12 SwapX faceplates arrived today from FiR Audio. They arrived in a compact carry case with SwapX faceplates held in place by magnets.

I selected Polar Nights with rainbow FiRRY and E12 logos. I think they turned out great, slightly matching the color of the shells, and logos stood out a bit more. The rainbow logos transition between silver and gold based on light reflection.

OG E12 faceplates

SwapX faceplate case

Polar Nights with rainbow FiRRY and E12 logos

So you actually did sell a kidney huh? Pretty hardcore...

Wishing you a speedy recovery, bro.

drftr

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #73,987 of 91,357
I love my $400 Jot 2! :) Drives my Aryas beautifully.
Thanks for the reply, I love Schiit gear but was worried about noise floor for IEM’s. I have a new in box Midgard I’ll connect up and see how it does.

Still looking for something in the $1500 price range that offers $1500 in build quality and components too if any other suggestions.

Dec 18, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #73,988 of 91,357
Heh I tried it to an extent! It’s just not for me. Right now I’m going through my “convenience is my priority” phase so I’m pretty content with the WM1Z-M2.

In unrelated news, I just spent Thursday through today at Disney World with my fam. This place never gets old and the Disney magic is addicting.

Here’s a few random photos. EPCOT center is definitely my favorite Disney park.

I even got to see a huge sized Fei Wan logo!

The World Showcase at night… #IYKYK

Now I’m sat in the United lounge with an hour and a half to kill before I board my flight back to Houston, at least I have this drowning out the ambient noise in here.

Flights booked again to return at the end of February but to Universal resort, so until next time Orlando!
When I lived in Florida, my family and I had Seasonal passes. We would go every month and cherry pick only the rides and places we loved the most. At that time, a seasonal pass which excluded peak times in the summer and holidays which we wanted to avoid anyway cost about $150 for a whole year. Amazing how much prices have changed. The first multi-day pass I bought in 1985 was about $35/day with park hopper and good forever. I should have bought a lot more of those passes.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #73,989 of 91,357
Well, I'm sure nobody in their right mind specifically buy desktop amps to listen with their IEM. Usually the case is they already have it and want to try their collection. Unless it's a written rule or maybe have a risk to damage your gear then I see no harm in doing that? Hmm?? 🤔
Our stuff, our rules ✌️
I bought a desktop DAC/Amp because I can connect my PC, TV, Switch and my N7 to one device and keep the cable plugged. No DAP has this many inputs, and when I'm tired in the evening and I want to game/watch/listen to anything, the ADI is my go to. Simply because everything is already setup and I just need to plug in my IEM (sic!) or headphone of choice.

Dec 18, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #73,990 of 91,357
I did exactly that with my IE600, the extra couple of millimetres effective nozzle length improves the fit a lot for me.

One tip, the Divinus Velvet tips have a very distinct flange at the base of the stem so on an IEM that also has a flange at the end of the nozzle the flange on the tip will lock in behind the flange on the nozzle (if the spacer is the right thickness) stopping the tip from tending to slide off and stay in your ear.
I dont have the Diviniu Velvet, but with SimbioW the stem is getting soft and loose after a couple of days so you can end up with the tip in your ear if you dont pay attention 😂

SimbioW are fantastic with FIR RN6 the first days till the stem of the tip is getting soft and loose.
Then the flange slips out of the groove of the nozzle when you insert the IEM into your ear and you loose the perfect seal and therefore SQ suffers a lot. (what you described)

By performing the tweak with the silicone ring, you force the flange to stay in the groove of the IEM nozzle when you insert the IEM into the ear = better seal = improved SQ.

Its like having brand new Simbio tips and better.

Edit: what i imagine could also work to achieve a perfect seal is to put some sticky non permanent adhesive to the nozzle and then pull the tip on the nozzle til the flange slips into the groove of the nozzle and stays there.
Should be some special adhesive that it allows the tip to be removed afterwards.

There is an adhesive spray for paper and fabric that could maybe work when applied with a thin brush to the nozzle so the tip stays in place.
1702931987127.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #73,991 of 91,357
Dec 18, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #73,992 of 91,357
AFAIK, the UM BCD works better the more contact you have with the overall shell, while the EE BCD works through the nozzle, so it requires more contact there. It's why foam tips are also discouraged for the EE BCD, as it'll absorb whatever vibrations the driver is emitting.
Deez, I would think any universal would have limited if any shell contact with your ear. It would really take a custom to have full body contact and seating position. No?

Dec 18, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #73,994 of 91,357
Forgot to include pictures of the storage case that comes with Loki, very nice. Finally now have a glass of wine poured and ready to listen…

IMG_9332.jpeg

IMG_9333.jpeg

IMG_9334.jpeg

IMG_9335.jpeg

IMG_9337.jpeg

Dec 18, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #73,995 of 91,357
Forgot to include pictures of the storage case that comes with Loki, very nice. Finally now have a glass of wine poured and ready to listen…

IMG_9332.jpeg

IMG_9333.jpeg

IMG_9334.jpeg

IMG_9335.jpeg

IMG_9337.jpeg
I cut those plastic ear guides off mine. 🤭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back