The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #74,011 of 91,357
Thanks for the reply, I love Schiit gear but was worried about noise floor for IEM’s. I have a new in box Midgard I’ll connect up and see how it does.

Still looking for something in the $1500 price range that offers $1500 in build quality and components too if any other suggestions.
How about the Violectric DHA V226 DAC/Amp? It has a fairly small footprint for a desktop setup and it retails for $1600.

I haven't actually tried the V226, but I've read that it has the same amp as the Violectric HPA V222 which is the amp I have in my desktop setup.

I also had the Midgard for a few weeks. It's a good neutral amp, but I prefer the bassier, more dynamic sound that the V222 puts out.

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #74,012 of 91,357
Thanks for the reply and asking. I have higher end DAC’s through my system a lot as in a May or Spring 3 and just want a smaller form factor amp on my desk versus my side desk audio stand that excels with IEM’s.

As mentioned in my previous reply. Why not Cayin C9 then?

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #74,013 of 91,357
When I lived in Florida, my family and I had Seasonal passes. We would go every month and cherry pick only the rides and places we loved the most. At that time, a seasonal pass which excluded peak times in the summer and holidays which we wanted to avoid anyway cost about $150 for a whole year. Amazing how much prices have changed. The first multi-day pass I bought in 1985 was about $35/day with park hopper and good forever. I should have bought a lot more of those passes.

Prices now are definitely pretty crazy but it doesn’t seem to be doing a very good job at turning away crowds, it was incredibly busy… more so than any other time I’ve been in December!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #74,014 of 91,357
No idea! I had seen a black Loki with those logos and was inspired to do similar but with navy smoked.
The triangle one is the Deathly Hollows logo from Harry Potter :) no idea about the one on the right.

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #74,015 of 91,357
The triangle one is the Deathly Hollows logo from Harry Potter :) no idea about the one on the right.

My daughter will get a good laugh out of that - she was a big Harry Potter fan but could never convince me to read the books or watch the movies 😂

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #74,016 of 91,357
My daughter will get a good laugh out of that - she was a big Harry Potter fan but could never convince me to read the books or watch the movies 😂
Perhaps it's a good time to catch up - the whole deathly hollows idea is neatly explained in a short animation in one of the movies, you can find it on YouTube. I like this part a lot, btw. Maybe your daughter will appreciate that you know at least this part of the franchise, too :)

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #74,017 of 91,357
There is a tweak you can do to any IEM/tip to have a deeper insertion and also improve SQ.

I have done it to RN6 and it is remarkable how it improved separation, resolution and soundstage. What i like the most is that the whole presentation became more immersive and i became more connected with the music.

It works great with IEM with longer nozzle like FIR.

The tweak, courtesy of @DaveStarWalker is to pull a short silicone ring over the nozzle.
It not only helps with a deeper insertion but also gives a better seal and improves bone conduction.

You can cut the silicone ring from the stem of a spare tip you have lying around.

pull the silicone tip on a stick or a Q-tip so you can cut it straight.
IMG_5795.jpeg

Cut two rings from the silicone tip.
IMG_5797.jpeg

Pull the ring on the IEM nozzle.
You done!
IMG_5798.jpeg

So far this tweak has done wonders to all my IEMs.
I hope you find it helpful!

Edit: after the tweak is done the only thing you have to take care when pulling the IEM from your ear,
you have to pull gently and wiggle the IEM while pulling, so the tip dont get stuck inside your ear.

On the subject of tweaks.....

I went looking, about a year ago, for O Rings to use to put over loose eartip stems to hold them in place. Also can be used as spacers.
The one below is what I found. I have them on a Sennheiser IE500 Pro as spacers. Fits the stem perfectly.
US$5.99 for 200 O Rings !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0761TSWF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

200 Pieces O Ring Keyboard Clear Rubber O Rings Keyboard Dampeners with Plastic Storage Box for MX Switch Keyboard and Mechanical Keyboard Keys​

1702938790425.png

1702938819898.png

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
ANOTHER TWEAK:
I was spending too much money on different eartips, a lot of which either did not last, or did not work that well. (spiral dots, Symbios, Azla, Final E, Sony, JVC, etc., etc.)
So I was looking for some alternate options.
I cut the flanges off these earplugs, and punch a 5mm hole through the middle. Insert the medium or large flange over the eartip stem, and slide up against the inside/underside of the eartip, so it applies pressure on the eartip from the inside, against the ear canal, to create a better seal.

I use on TWS earphones, and IEMs. Can get a solid seal, and the eartip will not slip out of the ear, whether moving or stationary. Also have no need to periodically adjust the eartip for a better seal. Stays locked in the ear for hours/the whole listening session.
I currently use inexpensive flexible silicon eartips, with a silicon flange inserted inside, and for me, is working so well that I have stopped looking at new tips.

The ones below are similar to what I found at a local store. (8 pairs for HK$2) I have not tried these Amazon ones, so cannot tell how flexible they are, so somebody may have to try some different ones to find an optimum/flexible one (if interested in trying the tweak). I have 2 types, one of them is thicker and firmer, and another is thinner and more flexible. I like the thinner/flexible one.

https://www.amazon.com/TrelaCo-Sili...&sprefix=silicon+earplug,aps,321&sr=8-41&th=1

1702939872871.png

1702939848077.png

Attachments

• 1702938756737.png
    1702938756737.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #74,018 of 91,357
As mentioned in my previous reply. Why not Cayin C9 then?
I’m interested in the experience of the $1500 IEM users here to find a desktop amp that they think hits above its weight for IEM’s.

Interested in the Earmen CH-Amp as well as others. Have had all of the ifi higher end DAC’s and amps as well as the HPA4, but want into IEM’s at the time.

Interestingly I got the Black Star today and am letting them play for several hours before I listen more because they were too neutral for my taste on first listen. I love a THX amp with DD IEM’s but not with hybrids so far.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #74,019 of 91,357
Sony EX1000 with the Sennheiser IE600 tips has really been a revelation. The damping material in the tips is really helping to mitigate that famous EX1000 treble spike, without taking away from the qualities that makes it such a legendary IEM in the first place. Still sounds more spacious, airy and "holographic" than most 1k+ IEMs I've heard, with amazing timbre to boot. So musical and romantic sounding, and now I don't have to skip certain tracks with it. Lacking resolution when compared to more expensive modern earphones, but I get so sucked into the music I don't even care. :ksc75smile:

Easily the oldest IEM in my rotation too.

Attachments

• 20231218_174759.jpg
    20231218_174759.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #74,020 of 91,357
Compared to DAPs, the Perpetua was hitting noticeably harder, sounding wider, and sounding more detailed?

Sometimes it’s difficult to pin everything down to resolution and staging and all that. There was just this intangible heightened realism about the presentation.
Not surprising, most DD/DD-hybrid IEMs scale very well with desktop gear in my experience. Soundstage expansion and dynamics are usually the areas where I hear the most improvements. I only had a brief listen to Perpetua off my RS6, now I'm keen to give it another go with proper desktop amping..
I am increasingly of the opinion that instead of owning multiple multi kilobuck DAPs, for folks who listen close to a nightstand or at a desk, a high-end desktop system with IEMs make sense simply because it can be as enjoyable as headphones (if not more), of course assuming one can afford the high-end DACs and amps, which many can.
Well, desktop rigs are a very good value proposition if you do not need portability.
Absolutely, I took full advantage of the superior price/performance ratio of desktop gear in the early part of my journey in this hobby during the early COVID period from 2020-21. Schiit Asgard3 was $200 at the time, which saved me important $$ in those early days to put toward IER-Z1R, which paired so superbly well with that amp.
Connecting iem to desktop equipment is complete nonsense. It is against the nature of IEMs and is a waste of budget. Suitable for desktop equipment headphones.
This statement has to be the most complete nonsense I've ever read on Head-Fi.
How about a desktop amp ranking list in the $1500 (preowned prices are great here) range that works with IEM’s as well?

What do you recommend based on your experiences?
I've been super happy with the Schiit Jotunheim2, pair it with a Bifrost2 and you've got a pretty sweet desktop rig for right around $1500. Or just LO one of your DAPs.
Sometimes, despite how comfy my Meze’s are, I just don’t want to wear headphones.
And when I'm on zoom calls, the Empyrean or other large headphone can be just a little distracting/intimidating. I'm using my A12t at my desk just now, and likely will do for the rest of the day, mixing music into the background of my meetings all the while. I could probably do that with a DAP just the same, but my battery angst would nag at me all day, and the BF2/Jot2 is just sitting there anyways.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #74,021 of 91,357
Looking for some advice guys!

I have the Audeze Sine which I use with the lightning cable DAC for my iPhone. It’s a good headphone, but it’s a little bulky and I don’t always love taking it with me when I travel. I’m open to getting a small amp for travel, but would prefer to just drive it from the Apple dongle ideally.

I predominantly use headphones either at my desk at home, or on a plane. I’ve typically gone for closed back headphones to reduce noise leakage for those around me.

I almost exclusively listen to death metal or similar (some prog metal, some grunge, but mostly tech death or death). From a sound perspective, I like aggressive treble (eg like the HD25ii) and a solid but not muddy bass. I do like extended/clear mids.

I’ve been looking at some options and wondering how they suit:

- Dan Clark Aeon X Closed
- Sennheiser Momentum 4
- Sony WH1000XM5
- ATH MSR7
- Sennheiser HD25ii (had them in the past, could go again)
- Any other models that are worth looking into!

I’m open to earbuds for ease of travel, but I can’t seem to get IEM’s in my ears properly. Always sounds tinny and uncomfortable/falling out.

Appreciate your advice!

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #74,022 of 91,357
You might also try Spinfit Omni and CP1025, Azla Sedna MAX, or any other tips that have a shorter profile and/or a short stem. If you can get your hands on some "petal" tips that are included with the MEST MK3(I don't know if they might be available separately), they are designed to get the body of the IEM making contact with your skin as much as possible.
Okay, more options is better 😁
Thanks for your input 👍
I bought a desktop DAC/Amp because I can connect my PC, TV, Switch and my N7 to one device and keep the cable plugged. No DAP has this many inputs, and when I'm tired in the evening and I want to game/watch/listen to anything, the ADI is my go to. Simply because everything is already setup and I just need to plug in my IEM (sic!) or headphone of choice.
That's a good reason to buy a desktop amp 😁

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #74,023 of 91,357
Canpur 622b

IMG_9295.jpeg
IMG_9296.jpeg

Its here!! Excited! 😊

Have to say this is my
Favorite unboxing thus far.
Very well thought out, it appeals
To the person who enjoys minimalism
And class. Nothing extra, and everything implemented to a high level.
Purposeful, luxurious and functional.

Props to Canpur!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #74,024 of 91,357
Dec 18, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #74,025 of 91,357
Thank you, I love them! They are Kinera logos.

I tried to get a couple more shots in my kitchen - they are very hard to capture!

IMG_9324.jpeg

IMG_9320.jpeg
Reminds me of the Lime Ears Aether:

Aether-R-Universal-600x600.jpg

I really regret selling my Model X & Aether R. Anyone know if Lime Ears has anything in the works? Haven't seen much discussion about them for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back