The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #71,071 of 91,355
I'm not sure we've ever done a survey like this before, but...top 10 desert island albums. Compliations and greatest hits albums are admissable.

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #71,073 of 91,355
I'm not sure we've ever done a survey like this before, but...top 10 desert island albums. Compliations and greatest hits albums are admissable.

Great idea! In no order:

Another Green World, Brian Eno
Technodelic, YMO
Discipline, King Crimson
Dirt, Alice in Chains
Reign in Blood, Slayer
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Mayhem
Trilogy, Carpenter Brut
The Assassination of Julius Caesar, Ulver
Mint Jams, Cassiopea
Sorni Nai, Kauan

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #71,074 of 91,355
Tidal
kkbox
Spotify
Quobuz, assuming it’s available on that island

No internet on the island :wink:

Great idea! In no order:

Another Green World, Brian Eno
Technodelic, YMO
Discipline, King Crimson
Dirt, Alice in Chains
Reign in Blood, Slayer
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Mayhem
Trilogy, Carpenter Brut
The Assassination of Julius Caesar, Ulver
Mint Jams, Cassiopea
Sorni Nai, Kauan

If I landed on a desert island and found someone listening to Reign in Blood I would probably panic lol

Great album but not for the faint of heart. Back in high school I listened to this, Master of Puppets and Arise by Sepultura more times than I can count.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #71,075 of 91,355
Gosh that's so tough... Honestly you could ask me this question weekly and I'd probably give you a different answer every time. But I'll try to give an answer based on what I'm currently feeling:

Autechre - Confield
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music
Clarence Clarity - No Now
Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Nicolas Jaar - Pomegranates
Ryuichi Sakamoto - 1996
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞
Björk - Homogenic

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #71,076 of 91,355

This one's a lot more difficult than any headphone or IEM questions haha. In no particular order:
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
(Somewhat standard audiophile/music lover affair haha. Always enjoy some good prog/psychedelic rock and it's what got me into the hobby)
Merzbow - Pulse Demon
Boris + Merzbow - Rock Dream
(Noise, I enjoy it immensely but it's an acquired taste to say the least. Pulse Demon ranks as my single favorite album thought it is definitely deserving of its infamous status. MASSIVE VOLUME WARNING ON PULSE DEMON)
Patricia Taxxon - Gloria
(Hard to choose a specific album of Taxxon's her music is pretty unique and I love a good 40% of her ridiculous catalog)
Twenty One Pilots - TRENCH
Caravan Palace - Robot Face
(Nostalgia/fun/interesting albums, I remember listening to em with friends when they came out and still enjoy em, the two on the list I have on vinyl)
Camellia - U.U.F.O
(I'm a rhythm game player... that's all that needs to be said)
Danny Brown + Jpegmafia - Scaring the Hoes
(Very fun and unique album, was originally scared off by the name but I've had it on repeat fairly often lately)

As with all things music taste, very subject to change :).

Addition:
These two don't rank up there with the others but do occupy a lot of my playtime as I find them great specifically for background music when I'm working on something (though for completely opposite reasons):
ELEH - Floating Frequencies, Intuitive Synthesis
Monstercat Uncaged Volume 7

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #71,077 of 91,355
Gosh that's so tough... Honestly you could ask me this question weekly and I'd probably give you a different answer every time. But I'll try to give an answer based on what I'm currently feeling:

Autechre - Confield
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music
Clarence Clarity - No Now
Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Nicolas Jaar - Pomegranates
Ryuichi Sakamoto - 1996
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞
Björk - Homogenic

Homegenic is a great pick. I saw Bjork a few months ago in Tokyo, incredible show. Her voice and intensity have lost not an iota.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #71,079 of 91,355
If I were going to a desert island I would pick something for all the major pillars of my musical tastes. As with others these choices would likely be different if you aked me again next week.

Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Orbital - Sniviliization
One Dove - Morning Dove White
Metallica - Master of Puppets
John Barry - Dances With Wolves
Bach - Brandenberg Concertos (Pinnock)
Lemon Jelly - Lemonjelly.ky
PM Dawn - The Bliss Album

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #71,080 of 91,355
Homegenic is a great pick. I saw Bjork a few months ago in Tokyo, incredible show. Her voice and intensity have lost not an iota.

That's amazing to hear. I had the wonderful pleasure of seeing her in 2016. Her voice is nothing short of a revelation. Every line and word she utters is a roller coaster. I feel like I'm at the edge of my seat just to see how she will enunciate each syllable.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #71,081 of 91,355
No particular order:

(1) We Like It Here - Snarky Puppy
(2) Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 - Berj Zamkochian, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Charles Munch
(3) Shostakovich: The Complete String Quartets - Borodin Quartet
(4) Mahler: Symphony No. 1 - Iván Fischer / Budapest Festival Orchestra
(5) The Köln Concert - Keith Jarrett
(6) Deep: The Baritone Sessions, Vol. 2 - Mark Lettieri
(7) Mahler - Symphony No. 5 - Montreal Symphony Orchestra - Rafael Payare
(8) Empire Central - Snarky Puppy
(9) Spaces - Yosi Horikawa
(10) Shostakovich: Symphonies No. 12 - Boston Symphony Orchestra, Andris Nelsons

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #71,082 of 91,355
1-Kind of Blue-Miles Davis.
2-Meditation-Jon Hopkins.
3-Un Momento en el Sonido-Vincent Amigo.
4-Elgar Cello, Bach Cello suite-BBC Symphony, Jaqulen de pure.
5-Alice-Tom Waits.
6-X&Y-Coldplay
7-The dark side of the moon-Pink Floyd.
8-HIStory, past, present, future: Book 1- Michael Jackson.
9-Sheydaye Man-Farhang Sharif.
10-The Chopin Project-Ólafur Arnalds & Alice Sara Ott

This was not easy at all.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #71,083 of 91,355
On an island? Rest of my life? Nothing obscure. I'd go back to my old classics that I don't listen to often enough anymore.
Beatles White album
Beatles - Revolver
Who -Who's Next
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
Pearl Jam - Ten
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Led Zeppelin- IV

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #71,084 of 91,355
On an island? Rest of my life? Nothing obscure. I'd go back to my old classics that I don't listen to often enough anymore.
Beatles White album
Beatles - Revolver
Who's Next
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Stones - Exile on Main Street
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
Pearl Jam - Ten
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Led Zep IV

Exile is possibly the most perfect rock-as-a-whole-album experience in existence imho. If I answered this question again next week I'd probably include it.
Maybe at the end of this exercise I'll compile all the results on the front page as the Watercooler desert island survival kit.

Nov 21, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #71,085 of 91,355
Another person who somewhat enjoys driver flex here, as someone who struggles to get a good seal at times, it's nice to hear the reassuring crinkle.
Oh yes, team flex here! Makes it so easy to tip roll the Legend X when I get that satisfying crincle conformation with a good fit.

@Rockwell75 I'll give the desert island albums a think and post my selection later... I'll be surprised if we get any outright favourites with this poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back