The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 21, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #71,086 of 91,358
pink Floyd- dark side of the moon
Bill evans trio- waltz for debby
Daft punk- random access memory
Melody gardot- my one and only thrill
Buena vista social club
Earth wind fire- now then forever
Cassandra wilson- another country
Hell freezes over- eagles
Eric clapton-unplugged
Fleetwood mac- rummors

Nov 21, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #71,087 of 91,358
I'm not sure we've ever done a survey like this before, but...top 10 desert island albums. Compliations and greatest hits albums are admissable.
This is probably the most difficult survey you've done! Seriously, and I'm very limited music wise, so Bravo to the toughest one you've asked thus far. Also this has to be the most subjective survey ever! We should really nail it down to truly available, singularly available albums.

In no particular order:

1. Tears For Fears - The Collection
2. U2 - A & B Sides
3. Led Zeppelin IV
4. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
5. The Beatles - Anthology
6. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
7. Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
8. Pearl Jam - Vs.
9. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
10. Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

Nov 21, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #71,088 of 91,358
I'm not sure we've ever done a survey like this before, but...top 10 desert island albums. Compliations and greatest hits albums are admissable.
So tough, but these are the ones come to mind most readily so probably the ones I would bring:
Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Billy Joel- The Stranger
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits
Beatles - Sgt Pepper
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Anitta - Versions of Me
R.E.M. - Murmur
Rush - Moving Pictures

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #71,089 of 91,358

Quick point of clarification: Are we all going to be on the same island? :slight_smile:

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #71,090 of 91,358
This week Top 10 in no particular order
1. Queen Greatest hits
2. Steely Dan Aja
3. Hall and Oats Rock and Soul part 1
4.Shawn Mullins Souls Core revival
5.. Lady Black Bird Black acid Soul
6 Peter Gabriel Live Blood
7. Brothers Osbourne Port Saint Joe
8 David Bowie Honky Dory
9, DIRE STRAITS Love over gold
10. Ryan Adams Gold
Yep I'm 58, old bloke music
Bubbling under
Gary Numan With The Skaparis Orchestra – When The Sky Came Down (Live At The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
Rammstien Mutter
Allanah myles Allanah
Led Zeppelin 11
Prince Purple Rain
Al di meola Elegant Gypsy
Lorde pure heroine

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #71,091 of 91,358
Radiohead - Kid A
Prince - Sign O’ The Times
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II
William Basinski - Disintegration Loops
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Beatles - White Album
Ours - Distorted Lullabies

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #71,092 of 91,358

Oh this is fun, while these are among favorites, it is not all strictly TOP favorites, rather some which are really long (2 disc +) suitable for stretching things out while on a desert island, while providing some variety, this is especially true with my classical piano selections
  • Jazz at the Pawnshop – Arne Domnérus, Bengt Hallberg, Lars Erstrand, Georg Riedel, Egil Johansen
  • Ballad & Standard Higgins – Eddie Higgins Trio
  • Empire Central – Snarky Puppy
  • Set Course for Andromeda – Sithu Aye
  • S&M – Metallica + SFO
  • LIVE BEST - ギルガメッシュ
  • Wasting Light – Foo Fighters
  • Surfacing – Sarah McLachlan
  • Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture – Kunzel / Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
  • The Chopin Collection – Evgeny Kissin
  • Mozart: The Piano Sonatas – Mitsuko Uchida

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #71,093 of 91,358
Radiohead - Kid A
Prince - Sign O’ The Times
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II
William Basinski - Disintegration Loops
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Beatles - White Album
Ours - Distorted Lullabies

Violator was so ahead of its time - that album and De La Soul’s Three Feet High & Rising were the ones I had the most trouble leaving off my list. Good to see Sign O’ The Times getting some love - and bringing double albums is a sneaky way of getting more music to bring!

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #71,094 of 91,358
Simply impossible - but well, here is my spontaneous list without thinking about it:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
XTC - The Big Express
The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle...
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Django Django - st
J. S. Bach, René Jacobs & RIAS Kammerchor - Motetten
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #71,095 of 91,358
Nov 21, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #71,096 of 91,358
Pure Indie goodness:

Silent Alarm - Bloc Party
Is This It - The Strokes
An Awesome Wave - Alt-J
Doolittle - Pixies
The Moon & Antartica - Modest Mouse
Hot Fuss - The Killers
Tourist History - TDCC
Room on Fire - The Strokes
Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not - Arctic Monkeys
Modern Vampires of the City - Vampire Weekend

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #71,097 of 91,358
Simply impossible - but well, here is my spontaneous list without thinking about it:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
XTC - The Big Express
The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle...
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Django Django - st
J. S. Bach, René Jacobs & RIAS Kammerchor - Motetten
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Someone else who loves Silent Alarm o:

Have you listened to their EP - Little Thoughts? Gem of an album, Skeleton & Tulips are prob my top 2 songs of all tome.

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #71,098 of 91,358
Damn I forgot Marc Cohn And Blind Boys Of Alabama* – Work To Do such a good album

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #71,100 of 91,358
About 4w ago, I placed an order with Andrew @ MT to upgrade one of the stock cables (3.5) that came with the VE Aura with a chiron nova one. It finally came today (unexpectedly), and I got about 2hrs to test it out. Previously I was using the FT cable with the Aura, which I thought was a pretty good pairing to bring out the sound stage, but keeping the charm of the IEM in that it pulls you into the music. With the chiron nova, it took it another step up in that it increased the sound stage, but still kept that intimate feel as if you are at the front stage of a small auditorium. For those of you in California, think of the Warfield as the venue!

The test track that I really shined was Invincible by Tool over the UM AP (granted I haven't broken it in yet) and the supv3. The mixture of percussions and guitar can be felt through your soul, especially at the 9:20min mark as it builds up into the drum at 9:36min mark.

Btw this the only IEM that has the same characteristic as the EE Odin to make you feel like your in the middle of a club for EDM.

I was not ready to put the aura back on, as I was desperately trying to compare the n30le regular vs n30le limited and UM AP. However, this has been a real pleasant surprise to see that the VE aura still has character that neither the rhapsodio supv3 or the UM AP can pull out. The source for all IEMs was still the N30LE regular as I don't think i've had enough hours on the N30LE AP version.

I can't wait to try it out with other tracks, but I really need to finish other projects I started already (N30LE vs N30LE AP) and how much better the UM AP is with the UM MM.

For anyone who wants one IEM that has great energy that has a way to make you feel like you are one with the music; get the VE AURA with Chiron Nova!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back