The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 16, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #70,606 of 91,364
Maybe you like this one

I do indeed! Thanks for the rec - another album downloaded. This is the kind of music the TH900 truly excels with. Although I just as happily listen to all genres on them.

Screenshot_20231116-131155.png

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #70,609 of 91,364
Cool video from the CanJam SoCal seminars I just came across on "Audiophile Audio vs. Pro Audio". Lots of interesting insights on what I would typically place under the banner of the "Objective/Subjective" division in this hobby. The speaker in this series breaks it down further into the "Pro/engineer vs. audiophile perspective" alongside "purist vs. subjectivist" personality types. I know some roll their eyes at these sorts of distinction but I personally love it as it sheds some light on where we're all coming from in our enjoyemnt of this hobby.

Video:

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #70,610 of 91,364
The new Symbio W ear-tips are here!

For everyone that is not familiar with Symbio W. These are hybrid foam tips with silicone outer shell that came as standard tips with FIR RN IEMs

Symbio listened to the critiques here and they came up with an updated version which is now softer and very comfortable to wear.
Also the outer shell is now very smooth and the seam around (which came from the molding process) is gone.

IMG_5479.jpeg

They are now one of my best tips so far for bone conduction IEMs and very comfortable to wear.

They have a 25% discount till 31. Dec. Use SYMBIO-25

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #70,611 of 91,364

For everyone that is not familiar with Symbio W. These are hybrid foam tips with silicone outer shell that came as standard tips with FIR RN IEMs

Symbio listened to the critiques here and they came up with an updated version which is now softer and very comfortable to wear.
Also the outer shell is now very smooth and the seam around (which came from the molding process) is gone.

IMG_5479.jpeg

They are now one of my best tips so far for bone conduction IEMs and very comfortable to wear.

Glad they improved on the softness of the foam. The old version foam is hard like hell and hurts the ear canal. I ended pulling the foam out. Lol.

Nov 16, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #70,614 of 91,364

IMG_5479.jpeg

I had recently bought two full sets too and second your positive impression (given that I regularly use Comply foamies on my
IEM).

The new Symbios are more comfortable to wear than the older version... For me an alternative to the Complys only lacking a wax guard...

Nov 16, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #70,615 of 91,364
Yeah, it was a love hate relationship with the old version because they were very good sonically but a pain in the ass comfort wise.
I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to put them in your ears.

Nov 16, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #70,616 of 91,364
Unfortunately i dont have the spiral dot to compare to. But regarding to softness, a pure silicone tip should be softer overall than SymbioW.

Is it more comfortable?
Depends on the stiffness of the silicone, the silicone surface and the tip size you use.

Symbio is stiffer then most silicone tips due to the hybrid construction (silicone shell and foam core).
But all in all, they are very comfortable if you pick the right tip size from 9 different tip sizes.

With Xelastec, i choose an oversized tip to have the perfect seal.

With Symbio you have to be more careful.

With regards to various spinfits and azla xelastec, the Symbio is on the same comfort level.

Nov 16, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #70,618 of 91,364
For anyone who has or has tried UM Mest MK2,
Do you know if there is an IEM that is a direct step up from the Mest MK2 (other than Kublai Khan)?
or if there is any iem that is completely different yet still retaining that holographic stage? preferably focused on female vocals since i like it a more forward presentation than what my mest do.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #70,619 of 91,364
Do you know if there is an IEM that is a direct step up from the Mest MK2 (other than Kublai Khan)?
or if there is any iem that is completely different yet still retaining that holographic stage?
Maybe give EE Raven a try.. I owned the Mest mk 2 for a long time and the Raven reminded me of that big larger than life feeling that Mest2 gave me but x10 lol

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #70,620 of 91,364
or if there is any iem that is completely different yet still retaining that holographic stage?
There is UM MEST Indigo, but I liked it less than mkii (shrug). And MEST mk3 came out recently. Those are the most direct. UM has quite a few IEM's with the bone conduction driver that delivers that holographic feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back