The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 15, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #70,577 of 91,361
Crossposting from over on the singularity thread:

So I received my singularly on Monday, launch edition #72, and have spent the last couple of days with it and wanted to share some impressions about them.

Summary: Endgame, for me.

Slightly longer summary: Endgame is a loaded term I know, but essentially as close to what I personally would consider endgame that I have heard in a long time. A sound signature that really resonates with my personal preferences. More than good enough technically for me. And most importantly, the fit for me is so far quite good, not perfect, but so far it seems to be better than many other IEMs I have tried. Admittedly my ears are picky and sensitive to fit, so this of course may be different for everyone else. So endgame at least in the sense that FOR NOW, I think I am going to happily go back to not buying more IEMs and instead just listen to this one.

The tuning is really working for me. I dont think I need to expand too too much on this since most of what I will say has probably already been said by others, but its definitely a bass heavy set with a nice offset gain in the upper mids to balance the bass nicely. Treble is quite smooth and is maybe the one area I could see a bit of improvement as there is just that last little bit of sparkly or air missing in the upper treble. That said, I dont think that really takes away from the listening experience. And I am finding these just a really smooth, warm listen, one that is non fatiguing and easy to listen for long periods. The bass presentation is easily up there with some of the best I have heard. Its neither too quick or loose, and it extends nice and deep to give a good sense of physicality that I really like and seek out in my IEMs. At least, as much as IEMs are capable of that. I like well done bass, and these definitely deliver. Overall I feel like they have managed a good balance across the frequency spectrum even with the large amount of coloration applied. Certainly not a neutral set.

Im never the one to talk too much about technicalities like sheer resolution or soundstage or any of that. I think the smooth treble may contribute a bit to these not feeling like the most ultra resolving IEMs out there. For me I dont think that matters. Soundstage has a nice sense of width and there is a decent sense of separation between instruments. Probably nothing earth shatteringly amazing here.

Fit has been quite good for me. Not perfect, but quite good. I had them in and out of my ears for a full work day yesterday, and while there was some slight discomfort after the full work day, that seems to be kind of expected. I was able to have them in my ears for multiple hours without any real issues. I did need some adjustments here and there. But none of the real pressure point issues I find with some others, so no major discomfort or pain. The shells are relatively small and pretty lightweight. The stem is short though so larger tips or tips with longer stems seem to be required here. I am still very early in the tip rolling process, but spent most of the day yesterday with large spinfit w1's. Today I am trying out azla sedna ear fit lights, for the longer stem and wide bore. Havent heard any huge sound differences from different tips yet, so I am mainly aiming for comfort. I personally have not had any difficulty getting a good seal with these, but the short stems definitely could prove tricky to some.

Along with fit and comfort, I have also experienced no pressure build up or any fatigue from listening, even though it is quite bassy. To contrast that for me. I have a pair of fatfreq maestro mini, which are another very bass heavy set. Those cause noticeable pressure buildup and some discomfort for me that is separate from the actual fit of the IEM.

I got the vanguard 2w with mine, and Its quite nice for a cable. Its got a small amount of heft I could do without that seems to tug on my ears a bit. But its a good looking cable, and the material is relatively microphonic free and doesnt seem to have any memory effect which is great. Looks also match the IEM quite nicely. Not usually a fan of anything gold plated or colored, but the black and gold color scheme is nice as the gold is really just for some accent. Not 100% on whether I would prefer earhooks or not. They might relieve a very small amount of pressure the IEMs put on my ear, but then again earhooks often create their own discomfort from digging into the top of my ear. I also dont really feel like earhooks are needed to keep the IEM stable.

The launch edition packaging was really nice too. The box was a real nice touch, though I dont actually see myself using the hard metal case for transporting the IEMs. So as nice at it is, most likely its just going to sit and collect dust for me. Still nice to have, and the box is nice enough that it could be displayed on a shelf somewhere.

Its hard to say if these are really truly worth the cost, as a single dynamic driver. But for what you get and the sound they put out, with the overall quality of them, in this hobby, seems like it may actually be kind of a bargain. Especially compared to how crazy pricing has gotten lately for some IEMs.

So to sum up. I am smitten by these. The sound they put out is really working to my preferences. Great bass without sacrificing much elsewhere, and a fit that actually amazingly works for me. And without a good fit, it doesnt really matter how good they sound. The Z1R for me was a wonderful sounding IEM, but I couldnt get past the fit. And more recently, same thing with the campfire bonneville.

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #70,578 of 91,361
The Loki Emerald probably has the most pinpoint imaging I have ever heard. It was haunting. In terms of bone conduction imaging it is a different class to what I’ve experienced from UM and EE, it didn’t have that same texture from the BCD like UM IEMs do though.

Interesting how we perceive the BCD. For me, the telltale sign of BCD is when the sound image comes together in front of my eyes, outside of my head. Without BCD, the sound typically comes together inside my head behind my eyes (up or down depending on how it projects). Starting with UM MEST, and now MM, MM gives me the strongest sense of sound image projected in front of my eyes, outside of my head. I didn't get to try AP but I expect AP to have something similar or better. This to me, together with the overall balance, is what makes MM special to me to this date. I get similar imaging from EE EVO and Raven too, but they are slightly behind as a total package vs MM.

Listening to Loki, I honestly did not get a strong sense of sound projecting outside of my head. I also don't hear the elevated bass many mention... perhaps I have a fit/tip issue. I dunno. What I did hear was a wide coherent sound. Will have to go back and try again. On the other hand, the prototype Kinera did have the BCD image out of my head, and spanning extra wide and deep. Bass had the Fostex/Anni type flavor. That was an amazing listen IMHO. Almost seems like I have this backwards, lol.

img8628.jpg

img8629.jpg

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #70,579 of 91,361
Crossposting from over on the singularity thread:

So I received my singularly on Monday, launch edition #72, and have spent the last couple of days with it and wanted to share some impressions about them.

Summary: Endgame, for me.

Slightly longer summary: Endgame is a loaded term I know, but essentially as close to what I personally would consider endgame that I have heard in a long time. A sound signature that really resonates with my personal preferences. More than good enough technically for me. And most importantly, the fit for me is so far quite good, not perfect, but so far it seems to be better than many other IEMs I have tried. Admittedly my ears are picky and sensitive to fit, so this of course may be different for everyone else. So endgame at least in the sense that FOR NOW, I think I am going to happily go back to not buying more IEMs and instead just listen to this one.

The tuning is really working for me. I dont think I need to expand too too much on this since most of what I will say has probably already been said by others, but its definitely a bass heavy set with a nice offset gain in the upper mids to balance the bass nicely. Treble is quite smooth and is maybe the one area I could see a bit of improvement as there is just that last little bit of sparkly or air missing in the upper treble. That said, I dont think that really takes away from the listening experience. And I am finding these just a really smooth, warm listen, one that is non fatiguing and easy to listen for long periods. The bass presentation is easily up there with some of the best I have heard. Its neither too quick or loose, and it extends nice and deep to give a good sense of physicality that I really like and seek out in my IEMs. At least, as much as IEMs are capable of that. I like well done bass, and these definitely deliver. Overall I feel like they have managed a good balance across the frequency spectrum even with the large amount of coloration applied. Certainly not a neutral set.

Im never the one to talk too much about technicalities like sheer resolution or soundstage or any of that. I think the smooth treble may contribute a bit to these not feeling like the most ultra resolving IEMs out there. For me I dont think that matters. Soundstage has a nice sense of width and there is a decent sense of separation between instruments. Probably nothing earth shatteringly amazing here.

Fit has been quite good for me. Not perfect, but quite good. I had them in and out of my ears for a full work day yesterday, and while there was some slight discomfort after the full work day, that seems to be kind of expected. I was able to have them in my ears for multiple hours without any real issues. I did need some adjustments here and there. But none of the real pressure point issues I find with some others, so no major discomfort or pain. The shells are relatively small and pretty lightweight. The stem is short though so larger tips or tips with longer stems seem to be required here. I am still very early in the tip rolling process, but spent most of the day yesterday with large spinfit w1's. Today I am trying out azla sedna ear fit lights, for the longer stem and wide bore. Havent heard any huge sound differences from different tips yet, so I am mainly aiming for comfort. I personally have not had any difficulty getting a good seal with these, but the short stems definitely could prove tricky to some.

Along with fit and comfort, I have also experienced no pressure build up or any fatigue from listening, even though it is quite bassy. To contrast that for me. I have a pair of fatfreq maestro mini, which are another very bass heavy set. Those cause noticeable pressure buildup and some discomfort for me that is separate from the actual fit of the IEM.

I got the vanguard 2w with mine, and Its quite nice for a cable. Its got a small amount of heft I could do without that seems to tug on my ears a bit. But its a good looking cable, and the material is relatively microphonic free and doesnt seem to have any memory effect which is great. Looks also match the IEM quite nicely. Not usually a fan of anything gold plated or colored, but the black and gold color scheme is nice as the gold is really just for some accent. Not 100% on whether I would prefer earhooks or not. They might relieve a very small amount of pressure the IEMs put on my ear, but then again earhooks often create their own discomfort from digging into the top of my ear. I also dont really feel like earhooks are needed to keep the IEM stable.

The launch edition packaging was really nice too. The box was a real nice touch, though I dont actually see myself using the hard metal case for transporting the IEMs. So as nice at it is, most likely its just going to sit and collect dust for me. Still nice to have, and the box is nice enough that it could be displayed on a shelf somewhere.

Its hard to say if these are really truly worth the cost, as a single dynamic driver. But for what you get and the sound they put out, with the overall quality of them, in this hobby, seems like it may actually be kind of a bargain. Especially compared to how crazy pricing has gotten lately for some IEMs.

So to sum up. I am smitten by these. The sound they put out is really working to my preferences. Great bass without sacrificing much elsewhere, and a fit that actually amazingly works for me. And without a good fit, it doesnt really matter how good they sound. The Z1R for me was a wonderful sounding IEM, but I couldnt get past the fit. And more recently, same thing with the campfire bonneville.
Happy to hear that you are more or less okay with the fit of Singularity. Mine will ship end of this month (hopefully). One of those iems that left a strong, positive impression

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #70,580 of 91,361
Interesting how we perceive the BCD. For me, the telltale sign of BCD is when the sound image comes together in front of my eyes, outside of my head. Without BCD, the sound typically comes together inside my head behind my eyes (up or down depending on how it projects). Starting with UM MEST, and now MM, MM gives me the strongest sense of sound image projected in front of my eyes, outside of my head. I didn't get to try AP but I expect AP to have something similar or better. This to me, together with the overall balance, is what makes MM special to me to this date. I get similar imaging from EE EVO and Raven too, but they are slightly behind as a total package vs MM.

Listening to Loki, I honestly did not get a strong sense of sound projecting outside of my head. I also don't hear the elevated bass many mention... perhaps I have a fit/tip issue. I dunno. What I did hear was a wide coherent sound. Will have to go back and try again. On the other hand, the prototype Kinera did have the BCD image out of my head, and spanning extra wide and deep. Bass had the Fostex/Anni type flavor. That was an amazing listen IMHO. Almost seems like I have this backwards, lol.

The Verdandi was more out of head to me than the Loki but I also heard it to sound quite disjointed and sort of just throwing sounds all over the place. I thought it was a really unique presentation especially at the price point though. Loki for me staged more L/R and focused on width, but on that X axis I was hearing some incredible precision with how it placed notes. For me Loki stages very differently than AP/MM and a lot of that was down to how the FR is tuned with a much more stretched out mid range. I think this is what’s diffusing the center image of the Loki. Both the UM IEMs to me are far more balanced and centered and project depth better, but I also hear that as less of an “immersive” presentation and one that’s more focused and accurate. FWIW, I don’t really find the comparisons of Loki and MM/AP to make much sense because their intended tunings were almost directly opposite to my ears.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #70,581 of 91,361
Happy to hear that you are more or less okay with the fit of Singularity. Mine will ship end of this month (hopefully). One of those iems that left a strong, positive impression
I have a lot of difficulty with comfort on larger IEMs, so this was a pleasant surprise for me because based on the shape alone I would have suspected a pressure point in the usual spot for me. I think it helps here that as a single DD they arent all that large. And the aluminum construction definitely helps with weight.

Its not perfect though. Doesnt quite reach that level of disappearing in my ears, but few if any have done that for me, not even the customs I have. I am pretty aware of them in my ear and longer sessions definitely leave my ears just tiny bit sore. But overall I am pretty happy with how they fit for me.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #70,582 of 91,361
The Verdandi was more out of head to me than the Loki but I also heard it to sound quite disjointed and sort of just throwing sounds all over the place. I thought it was a really unique presentation especially at the price point though. Loki for me staged more L/R and focused on width, but on that X axis I was hearing some incredible precision with how it placed notes. For me Loki stages very differently than AP/MM and a lot of that was down to how the FR is tuned with a much more stretched out mid range. I think this is what’s diffusing the center image of the Loki. Both the UM IEMs to me are far more balanced and centered and project depth better, but I also hear that as less of an “immersive” presentation and one that’s more focused and accurate. FWIW, I don’t really find the comparisons of Loki and MM/AP to make much sense because their intended tunings were almost directly opposite to my ears.
Makes sense. I'd agree with Loki's spread image (but pin point directional cues) vs UM's centered image. I only brought up MM as a data point for BCD discussion. Not much else. The tuning is indeed very different and this point should not be confused. Loki and Verdandi width probably rivals Traillii.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #70,583 of 91,361
5.. How is Ronin "better" than all three - I don't know. It is good, a beautiful case of tamed, darkish neutral reference. A very safe bet! I love it. You can listen to this for long hours and never get tired. It's not offensive in any way. But in no way it's "better in general" than the other flagships. Also do note, that there is no "wow" factor in Ronin. I'd call it "Noble Reference Studio Monitor Pro" :)
Pardon, there's been a misunderstanding here: "better" refers only in regard to an open and airy soundstage.

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #70,584 of 91,361
Sorry for the Over Ears post, but just have to share. Nobody does woodies like Fostex, and I oh boy do I HAVE WOOD...

Got the new Anniversary TH616 in yesterday. Just a thing of absolute beauty.

20231114_141248_HDR.jpg

Fostex designed the grating to look like the sun's rays through trees. Stunning Japanese craftsmanship!

Nov 15, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #70,585 of 91,361
I find Annihilator to have fantastic, ideal treble. Clear, detailed, energetic but not fatiguing. By contrast I found Odin to be sibilant and exhausting - upper mids and treble both were hard for me to take. I couldn’t even get to the bass quality that everyone talks about with Odin due to the sizzle effect. Played off an SP2000 Cu. I tip rolled but never cable rolled past stock. I always think, what was i missing? Weird how we all hear things so differently, eccentrically.
And that is part of the fun, actually. Imagine we all had the same taste. That would be boring! 😵‍💫

Nov 15, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #70,586 of 91,361
Sorry for the Over Ears post, but just have to share. Nobody does woodies like Fostex, and I oh boy do I HAVE WOOD...

20231114_141248_HDR.jpg

Fostex designed the grating to look like the sun's rays through trees. Stunning Japanese craftsmanship!

I saw it on audio46 website but you’re the first that posted a real pic, how does it sound?

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #70,587 of 91,361
I saw it on audio46 website but you’re the first that posted a real pic, how does it sound?

I was too impatient to wait for audio46 and the US reps... my wallet sure wishes I were though! To this Fostex fanboy's ear, they sound quite pleasing indeed.

It has the same 1T Biodyna driver as in the TH610, the TH/rx and the OEM variants (EMu, old school Denon etc) and soundwise shares many of the sonic virtues of these headphones: Deep extended bass, great field imaging and separation... Unfortunately, I don't have any direct experience with the TH610, of which this is the 'open' variant of (ala the TH909 and TH900). I would guess off about a solid day of listening now (with a brief comparison to TH900 Anni last night), that these are a little more mid bassy than some of other Fosters, quite pleasant, warm and punchy, quite reminiscent of the TH909 (which makes sense given they are both 'open' variants).

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #70,588 of 91,361

20231114_141248_HDR.jpg

Better than ZMF? I know Zach got his inspiration from Fostex.

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #70,589 of 91,361
Better than ZMF? I know Zach got his inspiration from Fostex.
There's plenty of room for a few artisanal Woodies around the world :) As you say, Zach has been deeply inspired by Fostex, they are the OG and ZMF are the next gen... Not a question of better in my view. Sorry no spicy drama from me <shrug>

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #70,590 of 91,361
I'd say it's a refined "Chinese V-shape" type of tuning.

This is exactly what I've gleaned from reading reviews of this IEM which has kind of nerfed my interest in it for the time being.

I have a lot of difficulty with comfort on larger IEMs, so this was a pleasant surprise for me because based on the shape alone I would have suspected a pressure point in the usual spot for me. I think it helps here that as a single DD they arent all that large. And the aluminum construction definitely helps with weight.

Its not perfect though. Doesnt quite reach that level of disappearing in my ears, but few if any have done that for me, not even the customs I have. I am pretty aware of them in my ear and longer sessions definitely leave my ears just tiny bit sore. But overall I am pretty happy with how they fit for me.

I'm glad the fit is working for your. The only size issues I have is when IEMs are too small. Gigantic IEMs like Storm, Odyssey, Raven & Maestro SE have never posed a problem with me fit wise. Smaller IEMs like the Singularity, IER M9 etc. are more likely to give me a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back