The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 15, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #70,561 of 91,364
Thanks for the detailed review. Very interesting to see that Loki is no slouch when pitted against the $8000 monster Amber Pearl. Will have to give it a hear in the near future

The Loki Emerald probably has the most pinpoint imaging I have ever heard. It was haunting. In terms of bone conduction imaging it is a different class to what I’ve experienced from UM and EE, it didn’t have that same texture from the BCD like UM IEMs do though.

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #70,562 of 91,364
The Loki Emerald probably has the most pinpoint imaging I have ever heard. It was haunting. In terms of bone conduction imaging it is a different class to what I’ve experienced from UM and EE, it didn’t have that same texture from the BCD like UM IEMs do though.
AFAIK Loki BCD is only used for sub-bass frequencies whereas UM and EE are full(er) range.

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #70,564 of 91,364
I really liked the Loki Emerald. If it were my first venture into TOTL, I would buy it. If I were coming from Monarch mkii, this is definitely where I would land. I did not have the same experience with its imaging as you did. I much prefer the UM imaging. The AP in particular really has me captivated in the way that you describe Loki. Maybe we are looking for something different in imaging. I really get the 3D rendering of music. I can see the instruments and notes when I close my eyes and that is in the end what made Amber Pearl my new number 1.

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #70,565 of 91,364
Another toy arrived today! So much is going on… will have to find some time to write a summary impression post!

This is Noble Viking Prestige. Sounds and measures like the UIEM version of Khan but with different treble :) Khan mk3 maybe? It’s certainly very interesting. Impeccable build. Fits like a glove.

IMG_4746.jpeg

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #70,566 of 91,364
I really liked the Loki Emerald. If it were my first venture into TOTL, I would buy it. If I were coming from Monarch mkii, this is definitely where I would land. I did not have the same experience with its imaging as you did. I much prefer the UM imaging. The AP in particular really has me captivated in the way that you describe Loki. Maybe we are looking for something different in imaging. I really get the 3D rendering of music. I can see the instruments and notes when I close my eyes and that is in the end what made Amber Pearl my new number 1.
Monarch MKII was my first TOTL set and I really did not like the Loki. I found female vocals just way too forward for me. I've heard nothing but praise for Loki but my experience has just been the opposite. I really liked it's bass (one of the best I've heard) but that's about it. I probably need more time with it though. But I did not like Odin too, and seems from graphs both Loki and Odin have very forward upper-midrange.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #70,567 of 91,364
Thanks for the detailed review. Very interesting to see that Loki is no slouch when pitted against the $8000 monster Amber Pearl. Will have to give it a hear in the near future
Loki Emerald is a great IEM but it didn’t even sit close to Amber Pearl back in school.

AP has much better control across the board and Loki is a wild beast, though certainly still a flagship and satisfying.

Nov 15, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #70,568 of 91,364

I think for me it was the sheer “holography” of the Loki, AP to me was significantly more cohesive especially when it came to mid range, but the Loki had that overly large spacing to its presentation that gave me a “wow” type feeling. That’s also why I’m unsure how it would last over long term listening. The Loki to me more or less embodied a perfect IEM that stands out in short term demo conditions but may lose the appeal after a little. It feels like a set that would impress just about anyone, but if someone is looking for that real emotional/natural connection to music they likely won’t get that from the Loki. I felt very similarly about the Annihilator 2021 for what it’s worth.

Nov 15, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #70,569 of 91,364
IMG_8437.jpeg

Got my hands on Singularity. The unit belongs to one of my dear friends @deep2285

Highlights:

1. Quite likeable tuning, that’s what I call a safe tuning. It should not disappoint any ears. It’s not harsh and not piercing at all.
2. The bass has been very very nicely done, especially the sub bass. It does not sound boomy at all. That’s there a good quality bass. Definitely the best bass in this price range.
3. It has a tricky fit. I tried a lot of tips on it - SF W1, Corier, Divinus Velvet, Azla Light, Tangzu eartips. The best seal I get is with Azla Light. A good tight seal is very very very important otherwise these iems will not sound good at all. I can imagine the corier tips to do a bit of trick in the treble but sadly it does not fit well.
5. Soundstage is bit narrow. (Duality?)
4. Good balanced sweet mids but could be bit forward and more prominent. (Duality?)
5. Lacks bit of air. (Duality?)
6. Stock cable is decent enough. I don’t see a need to upgrade to some other cables.
7. The whole package - wooden box and the metal case - is just too awesome.

To be honest, this iem has its own league. It’s different in the sense that it feels like it has been tuned and designed following a rule book. It does not sound like a totl killer, Or will give you a super wow kick in the beginning. It will grow on you. The bass(sub-bass) is really pleasant and good physical presence to it. You can wear them comfortably for hours without any fatigue which is what I really like about them.
It is a Ceramic Case.

Nov 15, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #70,570 of 91,364
Another toy arrived today! So much is going on… will have to find some time to write a summary impression post!

This is Noble Viking Prestige. Sounds and measures like the UIEM version of Khan but with different treble :) Khan mk3 maybe? It’s certainly very interesting. Impeccable build. Fits like a glove.

IMG_4746.jpeg
Now this is definitely better looking than your previous photo. Congrats on your new toys 🥳

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #70,571 of 91,364
Loki Emerald is a great IEM but it didn’t even sit close to Amber Pearl back in school.

AP has much better control across the board and Loki is a wild beast, though certainly still a flagship and satisfying.
I've read Loki is even more open and airy than the Annihilator. Heading in that direction, do you have any totl IEMs recommendations specialized in that area? Loki was my best bet, but I'm not sure how aggression mixes with openness/airiness. I was also thinking possible Softears Twilight or Letshuoer Cadenza 12 as candidates.

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #70,572 of 91,364
I've read Loki is even more open and airy than the Annihilator. Heading in that direction, do you have any totl IEMs recommendations specialized in that area? Loki was my best bet, but I'm not sure how aggression mixes with openness/airiness. I was also thinking possible Softears Twilight or Letshuoer Cadenza 12 as candidates.
For me, Viking Ragnar was the most open and airy IEM - compared to Mentor, Mason FS and The Bird, for example. Ronin is also better than the last three. Jewel is also good, even if the soundstage is unfortunately not as wide.

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #70,573 of 91,364
AFAIK Loki BCD is only used for sub-bass frequencies whereas UM and EE are full(er) range.
The language on the website does suggest that but Kinera told my source that it is in fact full range BCD.

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #70,574 of 91,364
You have a very "portable" setup for your Singularity :)
Lol, yes. Ever since I grabbed a unit of the Aroma amp and the Power Supply, it is mostly connected to the dap. The LPGT has got decent power and drives most of the iems with ease, but the Aroma amp definitely takes the sound to a better level. Quite happy with it.

Lately been semi itching to explore portable amps like aroma/brise but am really really not wanting to shell out more $ and dealing with the lesser portability of the set up.

Been trying to avoid it for a while, legitimately scared to demo.
The Aroma amp is quite easy on pockets considering how costly can a good dap and a good iem can get. You should definitely try to demo a unit.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #70,575 of 91,364
1. Have not heard Annihilator. Nor do they answer any emails or messenger chats from me, which is funny. So I couldn't even purchase one. They don't want my money. Yet another IEM company without a customer support. And I really don't care if they're overbooked.

2. By agressive I mean that it is a brightly balanced V-shape. I'd say it's a refined "Chinese V-shape" type of tuning. Make no mistake: it's refined for a Chinese type of v-shape (defined as rather shouty, lean and bright). It is not refined in general, as compared to, say, Trailii or Ronin. Yes, I think it's a rather safe buy -- if you're looking for open and airy! It's exactly that. Now as you can see below it's a pretty agressive tuning, but it really sounds better than it looks on paper (note that it's a comparison of comply foams versus azla tips). The BCD is a completely different technology to what UM does, and I'm NOT convinced if better, but still I have some listening to do. Generally UM Amber Pearl is a class above in refinement and overall technicalities, but Imperial Loki has a huge "wow" factor nevertheless.
Kinera Imperial Loki.png

3. Haven't heard Softears Twilight or Letshuoer Cadenza 12 either.

For me, Viking Ragnar was the most open and airy IEM - compared to Mentor, Mason FS and The Bird, for example. Ronin is also better than the last three. Jewel is also good, even if the soundstage is unfortunately not as wide.
4. Viking yeah, rather airy, but be wary of the treble peaks. I'd recommend listening to this before purchase. It's similar to Noble Khan from a few years ago. And the treble is offensive on this one.
Here the varying treble depends on the depth of fit. I always test this when measuring CIEMs. I use the putty to see what happens when I put it at the entrance of the microphone and then further and further away. Then I take an average of all these takes. Your mileage will vary (your highs will vary) depending on the depth of insertion, CIEM/UIEM, use of foams, lenght of ear canal, etc.
Noble Viking.png

5. How is Ronin "better" than all three - I don't know. It is good, a beautiful case of tamed, darkish neutral reference. A very safe bet! I love it. You can listen to this for long hours and never get tired. It's not offensive in any way. But in no way it's "better in general" than the other flagships. Also do note, that there is no "wow" factor in Ronin. I'd call it "Noble Reference Studio Monitor Pro" :)
Zrzut ekranu 2023-11-8 o 08.41.00.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back